New Petzl belay device
|
|
FourT6and2 ... wrote: I'm not sure why you're carrying around a second device or fussed about fixing a single line for rapping with a GriGri. I'm also not sure why you think an ATC in guide mode is so amazing. A plate device like a Gigi or Shuttle pulls a lot nicer than a tube device in guide mode, a GriGri pulls really nice as well. There really isn't any more fuss to multipitch climbing with a GriGri than there is with a tube or a plate, it's just different. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the Neox and I'll figure out if it's going to be worth carrying off the ground for more than one pitch. Maybe whoever is belaying the leader hangs onto the Neox and the leader takes a plate with them to belay from the anchor. I get that sometimes old dogs don't want to learn new tricks and that's ok too. |
|
|
Petzl video, includes some tech info on operation of cam-wheel system. |
|
|
I ordered Black 5pm Sunday from Petzl US, shipping today Tuesday, should have in 2 days. Just got this in an email, you have to do quite a bit of scrolling. Includes several videos and information sheets. The Neox can be used for multi-pitch with belaying from anchor and also rappelling. They repeatedly emphasize that you have to hold the brake hand side at all times and that it will not auto-block. The belayer has to initiate the block. Details at these links: https://campaigns.petzl.com/climbing/en-us https://www.petzl.com/INT/en/Sport/Belay-Devices-And-Descenders/technical-content-product/NEOX |
|
|
Ricky Harline wrote: The Climbing Technology AlpineUp is an excellent option that's available and sold currently. Similar to the Smart Alpine but slightly more compact |
|
|
FourT6and2 ... wrote: Totally disagree that bringing a grigri makes things more complicated. All the machinations that need to happen should you need to lower your second off a guide plate throw that idea right out the window. Faffing with rigging slings and prussiks compared to thowing a biner on the anchor for a redirect with the gri is justification enough on its own. |
|
|
FourT6and2 you’ve made it obvious why you don’t carry a Gri Gri on a multipitch and multiple people have given a lot of reasons why they do anyway. No one cares that you don’t think a Gri Gri is good for multipitch. Your opinions have been outweighed. For the rest of us, we want to be able to belay from above with it and we don’t care what you think. No one is carrying 5 devices bro, don’t be ridiculous. There’s a lot of days my ATC stays in my pack and doesn’t even come out at all. You’re not making your life easier when you ignore the benefits of such a capable tool. My partners and I can rappel with a Gri Gri without a carabiner block but I’m not going to bother explaining how for you because you’ve already turned off your brain. It’s fine if you want to only carry and use an ATC. Literally no one cares. But stop telling everyone else that they should too and that using a Gri Gri on multipitch is a “moot question.” |
|
|
Ordered light grey direct from Petzl. No shipping date, so maybe it's a preorder? |
|
|
Slim Pickens wrote: Those with a Grigri might consider the Freino carabiner by Petzl. It is quite expensive and, initially, was a bit unwieldy, but after just a few sessions we made good friends and I came to love that extra friction arm thingie. No way to cross load it, it helps when lowering that big guy off of a sport route, and when belaying from above you have a built in redirect arm for lowering someone. Just be careful you don’t get the Freino Z which is meant specifically for some caving descent devices (oddballs, those cavers) and is a mirror image that won’t work with a Grigri. |
|
|
Mike J wrote: This is the same as with a grigri, it's all about the rope angle, it's why fall angle makes a big difference. |
|
|
The weight of a Gri Gri is inconsequential for anyone who posts on MP, and it's nothing for one person to carry a tube-style device. The Neox is a step up in safety because it requires a user to always hold the brake stand. I should close this post with the Mountain Project end-game/conclusive proof/no further discussion/needed/checkmate device - an ellipsis. |
|
|
that guy named seb wrote: Uhh… did you watch the video? It looks like the Neox locks up in fewer situations than a GriGri, without tension or a blocking knot on the break strand. IMO, that is the reason why Petzl is so strongly emphasizing the need to maintain a grip on the break strand, when using the Neox. If it locked up in exactly the same way as a GriGri, they wouldn’t have spent the vast majority of their marketing video talking about the importance of holding the break strand. |
|
|
Kristian Woyna wrote: The language is for both the gri gri an NEOX, which is nothing new. It always warned against the device not locking up without you hand on the brake side... |
|
|
So far it sounds like the Neox replaces Grigri1 (1993-2011): |
|
|
Watch this video. Cut to the 5:50 mark for the discussion of how the friction on the cam results in a torque that helps overcome the spring tension on the cam. The spinning wheel of the Neox reduces the torque on the cam due to friction (until the wheel stops spinning). |
|
|
Karl Henize wrote: If you look at the actual standards they both have to be able to catch a fall unattended. I wonder why they spend the whole video talking about not letting go of the rope, could it be not wanting to get sued because someone somewhere manages to make the argument that the company hadn't been clear enough with how to use the device? Couldn't be... They do the same with the grigri they just released it later because they had no clue how to quickly pay out slack using the original grigri and it came as an afterthought. https://www.theuiaa.org/documents/safety-standards/129_BreakingDevice_UIAA_V9_2018.pdf I suggest you look at the UIAA standard for further clarification on what seperates assisted breaking devices from regular devices, specifically their ability to hold falls unsupervised. |
|
|
I did away with using a grigri for the past few years, after I switched to using a gigajul. I used the gigajul for everything - single pitch, multipitch, sport, trad, etc. That is, until I started climbing as part of a group that has members of different climbing skills. After a couple times having to lower climbers (belaying from above) that couldn't complete a climb, I went back to using a grigri to make that process easier for myself and boy, had I forgotten about the ease with which it is so smooth to reel in that rope slack, as the climber climbs up. As much as I have great things to say about the gigajule; I believe it will be relegated to multipich climbing using double ropes. Taking an extra belay device, such as an ATC with me on climbs is no big deal, especially when trad climbing (can't tell the difference amongs the heavier load anyway), and if I forget to take the ATC with me; I'm comfortable using a carabiner block, munter, super munter, etc. to get myself down. |
|
|
Anyone know where to buy an orange one right now or are they already out of stock? |
|
|
Karl Henize wrote: Seb nails it. |
|
|
I ordered mine early Monday morning and shipping info says it should show up tomorrow. Just in time for a sunny weekend! |
|
|
Mr Rogers wrote: People want a device that simultaneously feeds effortlessly and locks immediately, without a single failure point, relying on absolutely zero operator intervention or skill, in every circumstance they can imagine. They want this impossible device so badly that they begin to oscillate at high frequency between only two opinions, expressed virulently, which are: (1) “the piece of gear before me is the Impossible Device and I’m positive that it is perfect and failproof in every way,” and (2) “the piece of gear before me is not the Impossible Device and could never be the Impossible Device; instead, its existence is a vicious insult to me personally, and anyone who uses it is dumber than a bag of hammers” |




