Mountain Project Logo

Stick clip that works with Petzl Ange biners?

Original Post
Justin P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2005 · Points: 364

Is anyone aware of a stick clip that works with Petzl Ange biners, the *small* ones in particular? Or a cool hack to make it happen? I've thought about trying to mangle a Beta Stick spring in some way. Even if that worked, my Beta is on its last legs and I don't know I'd want another in general. I've never used any of the other options on the market.

I do have other draws so this is rarely an issue, but it would be nice to have a stick clip that I could use with everything. Thanks! 

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

The trango squid works with the large ones. Haven’t tried the small. 

Walt Peters · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

Get a superclip.

Daniel · · Chicago, IL · Joined May 2015 · Points: 17

I just checked my Pongoose with the small. Not a ton of room so it may be a bit tricky to clip, but it does fit. Pongoose works decent, it can be a bit finicky to remove draws but it does work.

Justin P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2005 · Points: 364
Walt Peters wrote:

Get a superclip.

Does it leave enough clearance with a small biner like the ange or Nano to actually make it onto a bolt? The only time I've used a Superclip was with normal sized biners and it rocks in general. I was under the impression a small biner wouldn't work, and the Ange gate might be too unstable as well. 

Daniel wrote:

I just checked my Pongoose with the small. Not a ton of room so it may be a bit tricky to clip, but it does fit. Pongoose works decent, it can be a bit finicky to remove draws but it does work.

Thank you so much for trying! It makes sense there's not a ton of room left. Appreciate the feedback. 

Eli W · · Oregon · Joined Aug 2021 · Points: 0
Justin P wrote:

Does it leave enough clearance with a small biner like the ange or Nano to actually make it onto a bolt? The only time I've used a Superclip was with normal sized biners and it rocks in general. I was under the impression a small biner wouldn't work, and the Ange gate might be too unstable as well. 

Thank you so much for trying! It makes sense there's not a ton of room left. Appreciate the feedback. 

Superclip works fine with a BD MiniWire

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 662
Justin P wrote:

Does it leave enough clearance with a small biner like the ange or Nano to actually make it onto a bolt? 

In my experience, yes.

The Kailas clip is very similar and packs down well into a carry-on.

Daniel · · Chicago, IL · Joined May 2015 · Points: 17

If you do the super clip, there’s that one place in…I wanna say Oregon? That has a good stick with it. Otherwise, the actual stick parts available mostly suck. I searched a lot for a good stick and came up with nothing when my old stick broke.

The Kailas I’ve now gotten some experience with, and I wouldn’t recommend it for most people. It does pack down really small, but it’s also really short and often wasn’t tall enough to even reach the first bolt, especially with how much it flexed. And it is very flimsy - the build quality on it isn’t good. The only people I would recommend it to are: 1) someone that flies to climbing spots almost exclusively or other scenarios where space is extremely limited or 2) you just want a little extra supplemental stick clip.

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 662
Daniel wrote:

The only people I would recommend it to are: 1) someone that flies to climbing spots almost exclusively or other scenarios where space is extremely limited or 2) you just want a little extra supplemental stick clip.

It's also good for clipping your way up a route, not that I would ever do that, of course.

Eli W · · Oregon · Joined Aug 2021 · Points: 0
Daniel wrote:

If you do the super clip, there’s that one place in…I wanna say Oregon? That has a good stick with it. Otherwise, the actual stick parts available mostly suck. I searched a lot for a good stick and came up with nothing when my old stick broke.

The Kailas I’ve now gotten some experience with, and I wouldn’t recommend it for most people. It does pack down really small, but it’s also really short and often wasn’t tall enough to even reach the first bolt, especially with how much it flexed. And it is very flimsy - the build quality on it isn’t good. The only people I would recommend it to are: 1) someone that flies to climbing spots almost exclusively or other scenarios where space is extremely limited or 2) you just want a little extra supplemental stick clip.

This is what you’re thinking of, https://mountaindrifter.com/products/the-skyhook-stick-clip , looks good but availability isn’t great.

Superclip + gripclip (3d printed thread adapter on aluminum clamp) + trekking poles lashed together with voile straps works well for me.

Matthew Bell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2022 · Points: 25
Justin P wrote:

Does it leave enough clearance with a small biner like the ange or Nano to actually make it onto a bolt? The only time I've used a Superclip was with normal sized biners and it rocks in general. I was under the impression a small biner wouldn't work, and the Ange gate might be too unstable as well. 

Thank you so much for trying! It makes sense there's not a ton of room left. Appreciate the feedback. 

My super clip works with the fs mini my smallest biner just fine. Also works with my BD hms my biggest. Would be hard to remove with the HMS though given the force required to insert.

Sparkington TheThird · · Kansas City · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 80

Superclip with little Ange. It slips down into the clip a lot, but it works. I've done it a lot.


Sparkington TheThird · · Kansas City · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 80

Superclip on a big Ange.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
Eli W wrote:

This is what you’re thinking of, https://mountaindrifter.com/products/the-skyhook-stick-clip , looks good but availability isn’t great.

It could also be the Redpoint stick clip (located by Smith Rock, OR). The Redpoint one is really nice.  I have the Trango Beta as well, and the Redpoint is definitely much more solid. 

https://www.redpointclimbing.com/product/smith-stick/697?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=3

Bug Boy · · Boulder, CO :( · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 81

You can use a tiny chip of rock as a wedge to hold the gate open. Def harder with the ange biners but doable

Justin P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2005 · Points: 364
Sparkington TheThird wrote:

Superclip with little Ange. It slips down into the clip a lot, but it works. I've done it a lot.


Amazing! Thanks for taking the time to snap those photos and post.

Looks like a Redpoint smith stick is likely the one in my future...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Stick clip that works with Petzl Ange biners?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.