Mountain Project Logo

Have a chance to move to LA. How's the climbing?

SoCal Choss · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2022 · Points: 60

Not My Name, you seem like a dick.

I work mostly on the weekends in (the huge) entertainment industry in LA. then I climb on the weekdays. it's pretty dope. I don't make a lot of money but I make it work. I live by myself in downtown (been in downtown since the 00's). I have a parking spot.

Humber park is two hours away. we often leave at 10pm, get to a homies crib by midnight, wake up at 7am to go climb, relax all day, climb again when suicide goes in to the shade.

Lotsa sport and bouldering less than two hours away. Yosemite is drivable, so are other great spots. josh, tram, black, rubididoux, san Bernardino, Angeles, new jack/apple valley/mojave, stoney, Santa Monicas, Woodson/San Diego, sierras, bishop . . .

My work keeps me in big cities like LA, NYC, that's about it really or I would significantly have to change what I do.

LA has a lot going on. the city makes the media that the entire world watches. it's arguably the most culturally influential city in the world. and there is great art, world class live music (all kinds), and amazing food. the traffic is bad during rush hour. there are a lot of homeless people (in the largest warm city with sympathetic laws in the country what do you think would happen?). the more I've been traveling around America the more I notice traffic sucks everywhere. I also drive for work a lot, I really don't think traffic is that insane here.

if people don't want to live somewhere they will usually try and leave, if they want to live somewhere they will usually try and move there. it's not really a big deal.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Not My Name wrote:

Mark Bumpkin you fled LA to Bishop because LA and much of so cal is a hellhole cesspool and you know it. You’re backing me up.  LA proper is garbage to live in unless you’re already wealthy or making obscene money. And never driving. You’re welcome. Again LA is full so lobbying for more residents to make it worse is nonsensical. And you didn’t grow up there. Why not lobby for folks to move to where you’re from? Here’s where you’ll live :

I spent a month last winter in San Diego staying in that luxury high rise right by the convention center and ballpark. I really love San Diego but it seems peculiar for someone from there to point to homeless people as a uniquely Los Angeles issue? There were so many people living in the streets of downtown SD and every freeway exit seemed to have an encampment. According to the Tribune the problem is increasing, too. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/homelessness/story/2023-02-16/newly-homeless-again-outpaces-housed

x15x15 · · Use Ignore Button · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 285
Andrew Rice wrote:

I spent a month last winter in San Diego staying in that luxury high rise right by the convention center and ballpark. I really love San Diego but it seems peculiar for someone from there to point to homeless people as a uniquely Los Angeles issue? There were so many people living in the streets of downtown SD and every freeway exist seemed to have an encampment. According to the Tribune the problem is increasing, too. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/homelessness/story/2023-02-16/newly-homeless-again-outpaces-housed

I learned a lesson a long time ago about many San Dieganz... their only identity comes from bashing their bigger and richer siblings up the road...

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Not My Name wrote:

X15 n Andrew, the takeaway here is urban California is not a great place to live or climb without very specific circumstances .

People fled LA and the Bay Area for surrounding counties and states for this reason. Same with Seattle.

a good reason is you have a million dollars in the bank. Or friends and family to stay with for years.
So playing realtor chamber of commerce PR publicity shill means you must be selling something. We Cali residents don’t want more van lifers. Or higher rental or real estate prices. Or less parking or more crowded roads. Stay where you are. When the entrance roads to Joshua tree and Yosemite have hour long waits every day you get the message. 

The choice isn't between being Chicken Little screaming the sky is falling all the time and being a "shill" or Chamber of Commerce type. If your goal is to present SoCal as a dystopian hell hole for the sole purpose of keeping out "Van lifers" then I think you could do better than answering peoples' legit and straightforward questions on a small recreational forum with exaggerations and outright misinformation. Just sayin'.

Personally, I think all the van lifers should move to N.County San Diego. The surf is better there and the living is easier. 

plantmandan · · Rice Lake, WI · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 96

OK, if you are still reading this OP, living in LA is all about planning your life around traffic patterns and finding a place to park your car. There are five or six rush hours (morning, lunch, evening, dinner, clubbing, and overnight road work), and you need a car to function in society. Housing is expensive. I would say, moving there is a bad idea unless your job is well-paid (meaning well enough to afford a place that is close to your job with your own dedicated parking spaces) with a short commute. Bonus if your work has dedicated parking. If you can check all those boxes, it's worth considering. For all the negativity, it has a lot going for it. 

I would say proximity to J-Tree alone makes the climbing in the LA area worthwhile. It's the greatest climbing place in the world.    

SoCal Choss · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2022 · Points: 60

you know you're right when you can shit talk on someone in here and the mods don't even take it down for obviously breaking the guidelines.

this forum would be a better place without Not My Name. just leave bro, delete your MP account and stay at wide fetish.

and almost half of los feliz is literally in the hills, you don't even know LA. stfu and stop speaking on behalf of Californians. San Diego is just a suburb of LA, same way Palm Springs is. when you look at it from space we are one big cement patch but you can afford to live somewhere in that patch where that particular political jurisdiction kicks out homeless people CONGRATS BUDDY. I would rather live next to skid row than to be your neighbor!

when you started your account you weren't a troll so what gives? we know you have the capacity to control yourself. if you aren't ok please get help. it seems like you are taking out your problems on others in a forum instead of dealing with it yourself.

Diego Climber · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2022 · Points: 1
SoCal Choss wrote:

you know you're right when you can shit talk on someone in here and the mods don't even take it down for obviously breaking the guidelines.

this forum would be a better place without Not My Name. just leave bro, delete your MP account and stay at wide fetish.

and almost half of los feliz is literally in the hills, you don't even know LA. stfu and stop speaking on behalf of Californians. San Diego is just a suburb of LA, same way Palm Springs is. when you look at it from space we are one big cement patch but you can afford to live somewhere in that patch where that particular political jurisdiction kicks out homeless people CONGRATS BUDDY. I would rather live next to skid row than to be your neighbor!

when you started your account you weren't a troll so what gives? we know you have the capacity to control yourself. if you aren't ok please get help. it seems like you are taking out your problems on others in a forum instead of dealing with it yourself.

Plant mandarin has rational intelligent answers.

Choss:

You aren’t affording Los Feliz or anything else decent on a part time pay rate. 99 percent of people in the film tv music and every other entertainment industry are making less then Uber Lyft drivers. They live month to month. One paycheck from poverty. 

keep hanging with your medicated or off their meds buddies.
Everything I wrote is spot on from personal observation. If someone can get around without a car and works from home, then so cal is more liveable.

At least in Suburban riverside and San Bernardino counties one is closer to good climbing and affordable housing. It’s just an oven 7 months a year.

You’re welcome , I accept your apology and I forgive you . Enjoy living in your tent in skid row 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Diego Climber wrote:


Everything I wrote is spot on from personal observation.

Sounds like you had a rough go of it trying to live and make a living in LA/ SoCal. I'm sorry that was your experience. Obviously, millions of people pull it off. And quality of life tends to vary quite widely everywhere, but it's certainly strained if one is trying to get by on survival wages in a big city. 

SoCal Choss · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2022 · Points: 60
Diego Climber wrote:

Plant mandarin has rational intelligent answers.

Choss:

You aren’t affording Los Feliz or anything else decent on a part time pay rate. 99 percent of people in the film tv music and every other entertainment industry are making less then Uber Lyft drivers. They live month to month. One paycheck from poverty. 

keep hanging with your medicated or off their meds buddies.
Everything I wrote is spot on from personal observation. If someone can get around without a car and works from home, then so cal is more liveable.

At least in Suburban riverside and San Bernardino counties one is closer to good climbing and affordable housing. It’s just an oven 7 months a year.

You’re welcome , I accept your apology and I forgive you

I literally don't even read what you write it's a waste of time

David Katz · · Calabasas, CA · Joined Jan 2020 · Points: 1,181

What a bizarre thread. Obviously Los Angeles works for some people and not for others.  Some people are happy with the environment and thrive, and for some it doesn’t work out very well. 

Randy · · Lassitude 33 · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,285
David Katz wrote:

What a bizarre thread. Obviously Los Angeles works for some people and not for others.  Some people are happy with the environment and thrive, and for some it doesn’t work out very well. 

Thank you for a bit of sanity. 

BTW, since the OP has already decided against moving to LA, not sure what the point is of the ongoing "discussion."

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349


Diego Climber · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2022 · Points: 1

LA Rush hour is 6-10 am and 2-7 pm. Monday to Saturday. Here’s traffic at 230 pm on Thursday. 

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

When LA runs out of water the traffic will get better. Fact.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

In the name of everything good, holy and decent please God let this thread die.

jt newgard · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 461

Not My Name, your authoritative and exemplary contributions to the Southern California climbing scene are truly without parallel. We are all planning to hold an awards ceremony for you, at the LA crag of your choosing of course, before year's end.

Sorry Guy, couldn't help myself   

P.S. I'm max chilling on the Surfliner at Union Station. No traffic to report from here!

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

JT … I know it’s very hard not to add something

Riding the train! That’s so LA.

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

Just wait for the bullet-train-that-will-never-get-finished, never gets finished!

jt newgard · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 461

Thanks Guy! It was great, read my book "Two Years Before the Mast" on the train. Back then they complained about having to climb the cliffs in Dana Point to grab the cow hides. Seems SoCal has been choss-nanza since before the Gold Rush !

Cherokee, if the bullet train isn't finished, that means there's still time to route it to Tahquitz   

...

I think tensions flared in this thread because most of us don't take kindly, to folks not taking kindly to where we choose to live. Everyone gets their opinion I suppose! I traded climbing pines for climbing rocks, it's pretty great although sometimes I do miss the north woods.

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

I don't live there but I like L.A. I think it's an amazing and obscene place all at once, all the time. I know I've had good times there. It wouldn't suit my lifestyle, which is why I had to give up my Long Beach girlfriend, she was too far from the goods.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Have a chance to move to LA. How's the climbing?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.