Mountain Project Logo

The BEST multi-pitch rappel anchor?

Ricky Harline · · Angel's Camp, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 147
Austin Donisan wrote:

Have anybody ever seen a worn steel rappel anchor? I certainly haven't.

Yes. Sometimes you see one that has grooves worn in two places exactly opposite of one another. Not sure why this happens but I've seen it a few times. 

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 301
Jeremy Bauman wrote:

The one I like that isn't pictured, particularly for low-traffic routes is this one except with a quick link instead of a fixed link for the top bolt. Best of save-weight, money, etc, and still easily replaceable. My point is simply that we should make wear points easily replaceable when possible particularly when the cost of doing so is nill. 

I too prefer this setup (with quicklinks) because the bottom anchor point does not wear at the same rate at the ring on the top anchor point. 

Austin Donisan · · San Mateo, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 752
Ricky Harline wrote:

Yes. Sometimes you see one that has grooves worn in two places exactly opposite of one another. Not sure why this happens but I've seen it a few times. 

On a multipitch rappel anchor? I'd be curious where, since even the most popular routes I've done show no signs of wear. I could see it happening on a desert tower, though.

Jeremy Bauman · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,124
Austin Donisan wrote:

Have anybody ever seen a worn steel rappel anchor? I certainly haven't.

Many many times

Brandon R · · CA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 223

B, A, C, ..................................................................................................... D, in that order. 

B looks like it should have one less (or more) chain link though, so the rope goes left/right rather than front/back. 

Austin Donisan · · San Mateo, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 752
Jeremy Bauman wrote:

Many many times

Please somebody provide a photo or at least a route. What you say is so different from my experience that I find it hard to believe.

Edit: That video shows hardware from single pitch climbs (that you lower through). Everybody has seen that and it's not what's being discussed here.

Nathan Doyle · · Gold Country, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 57
Austin Donisan wrote:

Please somebody provide a photo or at least a route. What you say is so different from my experience that I find it hard to believe.

I think we need to climb all the routes until we find it.

Alex Fletcher · · Las Vegas · Joined May 2016 · Points: 252

Worn Rappel Hardware 

How Not To video with pull/break tests of worn out rappel rings. 

Francis Haden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 9
Ricky Harline wrote:

Yes. Sometimes you see one that has grooves worn in two places exactly opposite of one another. Not sure why this happens but I've seen it a few times. 

Because the weld is not ground down to enable the ring to spin to a different location. Any wear is concentrated at the same point.

Kevin Heinrich · · South Lake Tahoe · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 526
Alex Fletcher wrote:

Worn Rappel Hardware 

How Not To video with pull/break tests of worn out rappel rings. 

No horse in this race but that ring was from a single pitch route so also not what homeboy is referring to. Source: I sent it in. It was on Crack-a-Go-Go.

Austin Donisan · · San Mateo, CA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 752
Kevin Heinrich wrote:

No horse in this race but that ring was from a single pitch route so also not what homeboy is referring to. Source: I sent it in. It was on Crack-a-Go-Go.

I recognized that ring immediately when I saw that video, thanks for replacing it. It was also rolled aluminum which will get trashed anywhere.

Tradiban · · 951-527-7959 · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 212
Jeremy Bauman wrote:

The one I like that isn't pictured, particularly for low-traffic routes is this one except with a quick link instead of a fixed link for the top bolt. Best of save-weight, money, etc, and still easily replaceable. My point is simply that we should make wear points easily replaceable when possible particularly when the cost of doing so is nill. 

Holy shock load Batman!

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 301
Tradiban wrote:

Holy shock load Batman!

The rope is in the system to eliminate the shock load worries.  If this bothers you, you should never lead and fall on a bolt or gear. 

Tradiban · · 951-527-7959 · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 212
climber pat wrote:

The rope is in the system to eliminate the shock load worries.  If this bothers you, you should never lead and fall on a bolt or gear. 

You’re failing to consider micro-fractures.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Tradiban wrote:

You’re failing to consider micro-fractures.

It was made in a socialist country!

Nathan Doyle · · Gold Country, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 57
Jim Titt wrote:

It was made in a socialist country!

In that case, macro-fractures  

timothy fisher · · CHARLOTTE · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 30

An example of a worn steel ring. This one was located so it was trapped against a bulge and could not easily spin. I have been converting single ring anchors like this to longer setups. Many of the rings are more than 25 years old and this is the only example I have found with significant grooves.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490

And you will note the wear was initiated by the weld stopping rotation.

M M · · Maine · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 3
Jim Titt wrote:

And you will note the wear was initiated by the weld stopping rotation.

The whole configuration sucks, the rings are almost always jammed against the rock on top of the welds not being smooth and allowing rotation. Vertical and overhanging the hangers flex like springs when weighted.

Arthur W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 5

i love threads like this. useful. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "The BEST multi-pitch rappel anchor?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.