Unaweep Canyon - hydro plant being proposed
|
|
I’m not sure if this impacts any of the climbing in the area, but wanted to put this on people’s radar. Sounds very preliminary. |
|
|
YIKES! This is very concerning! The proposed lower reservoir currently is shown over the highway and on top of a lot of private property, depending on where it ends up it could prevent access to the Wildcat Complex. To me, the much bigger concern is the routing of the water supply line. Unless they plan on digging up 141 (which would be a nightmare in and of itself) the proposed route would destroy the best roadside bouldering in the canyon. The plethora boulder would almost certainly be destroyed in order to lay the water line. Hopefully they realize doing any project close to this magnitude would destroy a very environmentally sensitive area, but bureaucracies like this scare me. |
|
|
This could end up a debacle or it could also be a good thing, I would much rather see this than another dam built on the Gunnison River (e.g. Redland's Diversion). 9 Mile Hill area and Wildcat are on federal land and as such they can't approve a permit that could potentially shut down access without public input. Climbing is considered the number one user group in the 9 Mile Area and thanks to the cleanups the WCCC has been doing we have a strong voice with the BLM. Wildcat is one of the only family friendly crags in the canyon making it easier to convince non climbers of it's importance. This is a prime example of why it's important to share our climbing areas so land managers know we are there and know to get our input before approving something like this. There is potential in either direction and that's why it's important to support the WCCC and the Access Fund, not to stop the project but to shape it so that the impacts are minimal and access is preserved. It looks as though they plan to put a straw in the Gunnison to fill this thing so the Paddling Club will be watching it as well. |
|
|
Rich Connors here, Board member with the Western Colorado Climbers Coalition (WCCC). Thanks ErikaNW for sharing this. Nolan Robertson (fellow Board member) brought this news story to the Board's attention earlier today. The WCCC will reach out to the BLM and make sure that climbers have a voice in the direction/shape of this project...whatever it turns out to be. Thanks! |
|
|
Here's the location map (source: https://lede-admin.coloradosun.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2022/01/Xcel-Unaweep-Pumped-Storage-Hydro-Project-.png). The Wildcat access trail is marked on the map. It's close to but outside the project boundary. |
|
|
Brief update...the WCCC has reached out to the Access Fund; they indicated that they are taking this proposal very seriously. We'll continue to monitor the situation and keep the community updated as we know more. |
|
|
Pumped hydro is an important and necessary part of a renewable energy strategy. Enough battery production for grid storage is not available at this time. The FERC step is just preliminary feasibility planning to look at the options. |
|
|
I agree that pumped storage is a necessary part of the future of our energy grids. My big issue is the placement of the infrastructure for this project. Thankfully this is only preliminary and there are several possible alternatives that can serve the same purpose. Close by, the terrain to the west of cactus park offers the same basic elevation change and an even shorter path to the Gunnison. Farther away but still close to Grand Junction the Book Cliffs could be an alternative (I'll admit I don't know enough about the Book Cliffs to know if pumped storage is feasible there) I'm grateful the WCCC and the Access Fund are aware of the project and hopeful they can work with the BLM and Xcel Energy to minimize the impact of the proposal. |
|
|
Thanks, Erika! The right project in the wrong place. |
|
|
Went to the information meeting in Gateway last Thursday. This project will be a disaster to the beautiful Unaweep Canyon. Xcel will install a double pole transmission line with 150' tall poles in the valley, this will destroy the scenic values in the canyon. They plan to drill 5 deep 800' wells to pump 3500 gpm. The canyon is already dry with the Pinon's turning brown and causing a fire hazard. How can this be allowed during the worst drought in Colorado history. If the State of Co and the Feds want to shut down coal plants let them use their own land for these projects instead of displacing homeowners and negatively impacting property values and one of few places people can go that is still not yet overcrowded. |
|
|
lynn Day wrote:
Sometimes the answers are right there in front of us. |
|
|
Steve Williams wrote: Ah, NIMBYism. "I support this general type of project known to be a social good, but I vehemently oppose that project when it is near the places I live or recreate." |
|
|
Easy for you to say, JCM. How'd you like a coal burning power plant next to your favorite crag, or your home? |
|
|
Steve Williams wrote: I wouldn't support a coal fired power plant in my backyard, but I don't support new coal fired powerplants in places that aren't my backyard either. You are making a strawman argument here. The development proposed here is a valuable component of clean energy infrastructure. I would be completely fine with this type of pumped hydro development near my home or favorite crag. Though I would want to engage with the proposal to make sure it didn't shut down access to that crag. As long as this is met, I'd have no opposition to it. And let's throw in some wind turbines while we're at it! Supporting a type of project when it impacts other people, but opposing it when it is near you and may have minor impacts to you, is a bit hypocritical? |
|
|
JCM wrote: I generally agree but would suggest that Unaweep Canyon is uniquely beautiful for reasons other than climbing and it's valid to be concerned about a project that would permanently damage such a unique place in the world. No I don't live near there nor recreate there as often as I would like. But your point is valid - if we all believe in the social good of something, we need to accept its tradeoffs or propose alternatives that aren't based on NIMBY thinking. |
|
|
Recent statement from the WCCC https://westerncoloradoclimbers.org/latest-news/update-on-xcel-engery-project-in-unaweep-canyon |
|
|
Uh, no. Not going to take one for the team, and I'm not sorry for it. |
|
|
Cherokee Nunes wrote: Ahh the timeless, "Fuck you, got mine" |
|
|
Yes, that's right. Why should I subsidize your power with my paradise? I shouldn't, is the right answer. The end game of the power-gluttons is no more paradise. How about we build a nuke plant in your backyard? |
|
|
Cherokee Nunes wrote: Please do. |
|
|
http://www.unaweep.weebly.com/ I run a canvassing company and was approached by locals who live in the canyon and I think y'all may find their perspective interesting. This is a tricky issue/ subject, and to approach it as if you know the answer definitively, I personally believe is lacking perspective. Y'all are toxic on here man, historically I'm also not immune from this. The cost/ benefit analysis on this project is immense. At what point do we weigh the costs of greater benefit over shadowing those of the few. I love this canyon, I purchased my first home so that I could be on a wall in under 30 minutes. I have put up many first ascents and engaged my wife hanging from a portaledge off the quarry wall. All stakeholders need to take a step back, breath and put personal wants and needs to the side for honest open discussion. I do believe however climbers should be considered lastly in the discussion as the lineage in this canyon is deep and historic our selfish desires to find enlightenment is of little matter to society. |





