Mountain Project Logo

DIY cam trigger BAR repair?

Original Post
Daniel Kay · · Longmont, CO · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 152

Hey fellas.

I bootied this Wild Country cam today with some craftiness. Unfortunately, less-civilized suitors had already destroyed the trigger bar.

The cam is functional and the wires are intact (that’s what I used to extract it), but I am wondering what sort of DIY repair I could do to return this cam to service?? Wild country sells trigger WIRE repair kits, but these don’t include a replacement bar (plus the wires on this one are OK).

I understand the general idea of what I need to do but am curious if anyone has done this before and could share a few tips from experience.

cheers!

Jordan Day · · Highland, UT · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 3

Fiberglass might work

J.Frost · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

I have a bootied C4 that was mangled but has a prestine trigger bar. Maybe we can cut one side, slip it on, and fiberglass the cut side back together. Not worth the time, but perhaps a fun project. I’m in Arvada, CO so if you want to meet up and give it a go, send me a PM.

Tim Wheatley · · Nomad · Joined May 2019 · Points: 1,061

You could try 3d printing a new one

Carson Mc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2020 · Points: 25

PlasticWeld epoxy putty 

Russell Houghten · · San Diego, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 1,260

High strength Heat shrink tubing works great. I used some brass sheet metal and the tubing to repair a cam as seen in this thread.

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/119609370/how-would-you-fix-this-cam?page=2#ForumMessage-119907558

Daniel Kay · · Longmont, CO · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 152

Fabulous ideas, all!

Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks this is a solvable problem. I'll try and copy Russel's design, I think -- looks slick and sturdy! Appreciate all the help.

dave custer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 3,218

Street cleaner brush bristles make nice stiffeners and they are free--just lying in the street--if you live somewhere they sweep the streets. A hot glue gun will gob on enough goop to keep the bristles in place. It ain't pretty, but matches the aesthetic of the bootied cam.

J.Frost · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0
Max McLenithan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2020 · Points: 20

Hey there, 

Little late to the thread, but....

I design and manufacture replacement triggers.

Check out my website: https://infraredclimbingdesign.squarespace.com/

 

jacob m s · · Provo, Utah · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 135

I have repaired similar damage with a toothpick and epoxy

Garrett Hopkins · · North Freedom, Wi · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 80
Max McLenithan wrote:

Hey there, 

Little late to the thread, but....

I design and manufacture replacement triggers.

Check out my website: https://infraredclimbingdesign.squarespace.com/

 

Hey Max, got sent here from another thread. Looks like your site is expired. Interested in your stuff though

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "DIY cam trigger BAR repair?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.