|
|
David Maynard
·
Aug 15, 2021
·
Greenville, OH
· Joined Aug 2021
· Points: 0
Hello all Y'all. I'm new to the forum and have been mostly out of the climbing community for about 15 years. I know it's not good form to jump into a forum and ask for something before contributing, but this is something out of the ordinary for me...
I've recently become involved with a startup youth organization that provides instruction in life and outdoor activities for teens. We want to add rock climbing to the list of available activates, but sadly, there is no budget for it yet. I've managed to pick up a few items inexpensive enough out of my own pocket, but there isn't much of a local market for used gear where I live (Cornfields, Ohio).
I'm looking for useable and safe used equipment that people would be willing to donate (or sell for a nominal amount) if I can pay shipping. Even better if you are willing to donate shipping also, but I know that's a lot to ask! This whole project will be out of my own pocket otherwise.
To get started, We'll need mostly shoes and harnesses in a variety of sizes. We will also need ropes, top rope anchor material (webbing and biners), and a handful of ATC's or GriGris. I do have a couple good ropes and I'm not sure I am willing to risk anyone's wellbeing on used ropes and webbing, but we need more than a couple and I figured I'd just mention the need anyway.
Anyway, if you have any decent gear that you aren't using and care to contribute to a good cause, please let me know. Thanks for your consideration!
Gracias, David
|
|
|
David Maynard
·
Aug 16, 2021
·
Greenville, OH
· Joined Aug 2021
· Points: 0
Thank you to those who have contacted me. I REALLY appreciate your generosity! I'm doing my best to figure out this site.
Do messages only come through email, or is there a DM feature I'm missing?
|
|
|
Jake woo
·
Aug 16, 2021
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Jan 2019
· Points: 2
DM is via email. You're not missing anything. I'll send you a DM/email.
|
|
|
David Maynard
·
Aug 17, 2021
·
Greenville, OH
· Joined Aug 2021
· Points: 0
Thanks Jake, and everyone else! I've got some stuff on the way that will really help the group. Could definitely use some more shoes (smaller and larger sizes especially) and harnesses if anyone has them. Thanks!
|
|
|
David Maynard
·
Aug 23, 2021
·
Greenville, OH
· Joined Aug 2021
· Points: 0
Bumpity!
Y'all are pretty awesome. Thanks to a good handful of people who were quite eager to help a good cause, we've got a really good start on equipping a decent size outing!
We're still in need of shoes, say 40-41 and 43-45 range, and size Small and XL harnesses if anyone else wants to participate.
Thanks! David
|
|
|
Bob Ross
·
Aug 23, 2021
·
Virginia
· Joined Feb 2019
· Points: 0
How small? I have a petzel harness for about 5yo with some shoes I can ship you.
|
|
|
David Maynard
·
Aug 24, 2021
·
Greenville, OH
· Joined Aug 2021
· Points: 0
Bob Ross wrote:How small? I have a petzel harness for about 5yo with some shoes I can ship you. Mr. Ross,
Anything and everything is helpful at this point. I was planning to start with older students, but I will definitely take some younger ones when able/equipped. Please send me a DM. I tried to contact you but it won't go through.
BTW, your painting is an inspiration to several of us.
David
|
|
|
David Maynard
·
Aug 27, 2021
·
Greenville, OH
· Joined Aug 2021
· Points: 0
Bumpity. Pretty close to being ready to roll, but we still need shoes sz 40-41 and 43 and up. Unless they are ready for the trash bin, I'd take just about anything for these sizes if the price is doable.
Mucho Gracias.
|
|
|
Theo Nichols
·
Aug 28, 2021
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Mar 2020
· Points: 0
|
|
|
Lex Beck
·
Aug 28, 2021
·
Albuquerque, NM
· Joined Aug 2020
· Points: 10
Hi David, If you are planning on taking kids outdoor climbing I recommend getting a Single Pitch Instructor certification from the AMGA. This can help protect you legally. I would also be very cautious of used gear that is load-bearing. Maybe add to your outdoor waiver a clause that the gear being used has been thoroughly inspected but still has inherent risk. For used shoes try reaching out to some local gyms and see if they have any rentals they are retiring. Also, if you reach out to the retail manager they may be able to help selling gear at cost. Good luck!
|
|
|
David Maynard
·
Aug 28, 2021
·
Greenville, OH
· Joined Aug 2021
· Points: 0
Lex Beck wrote:Hi David, If you are planning on taking kids outdoor climbing I recommend getting a Single Pitch Instructor certification from the AMGA. This can help protect you legally. I would also be very cautious of used gear that is load-bearing. Maybe add to your outdoor waiver a clause that the gear being used has been thoroughly inspected but still has inherent risk. For used shoes try reaching out to some local gyms and see if they have any rentals they are retiring. Also, if you reach out to the retail manager they may be able to help selling gear at cost. Good luck! All very good information. Thank you.
|
|
|
Climb On
·
Aug 28, 2021
·
Everywhere
· Joined Jan 2016
· Points: 0
I’ve got a pair of 40.5 scarpas you can have. Email me your address and I’ll get them out.
|
|
|
David Maynard
·
Aug 28, 2021
·
Greenville, OH
· Joined Aug 2021
· Points: 0
Climb On wrote:I’ve got a pair of 40.5 scarpas you can have. Email me your address and I’ll get them out. Awesome. I'll send that shortly.
David
|
|
|
Gunkiemike
·
Aug 31, 2021
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Jul 2009
· Points: 3,777
I have 2 pair of shoes for you. PM me the address to ship them to.
|
|
|
David Maynard
·
Sep 3, 2021
·
Greenville, OH
· Joined Aug 2021
· Points: 0
You all are amazing! Between my personal gear and your kind donations/discounts, I have enough to teach a good class.
We're still in need of larger shoes, size 44 and up, preferably more beginner friendly and not aggressive foot vices.
Would love a GriGri or two and any helmets would be welcomed. Let me know what you need for them, if anything, and I will do my best.
David
|