Mountain Project Logo

If you owned Mountain Project, what would you do?

Original Post
Tradiban · · 951-527-7959 · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 212

If you were the big cheese what would you do? What would you keep? What would you take away? Try to be realistic here   

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

I would work tirelessly to provide a free resource that helps people find and enjoy climbs.

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265
Tradiban wrote:

What would you take away?

You.

Marc H wrote:

You.

He's so mean!

Nick Wilder wrote:

I would work tirelessly to provide a free resource that helps people find and enjoy climbs.

Would you add some unobtrusive ads to raise revenue to hire dirtbags to post free beta and "moderate"?

Hangdog Steve · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2020 · Points: 0

I would make the climb data available under the Open Database License: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_…

Cairn War Machine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 6

I would make mountain project more global friendly. Right now to look at anywhere outside of the USA you have to visit the contents page first, then go to your country and work your way through everything. However the states has every state right on the front page, plus some subcategories. 

Just one the reasons I have moved towards The Crag to track everything I climb. 

Nico Wright · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 30

I've been surprised that they haven't implemented a way to tag your partners in your ticks, particularly for multipitch. It's very social networky, which is maybe a little alarming for something that is wonderfully old internet (forum, etc), but the climbing community is definitely a network of people.  It would be powerful and helpful to see the people you climb with and the people they climb with.  Would also promote finding trustworthy partners.

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52
Tradiban wrote:

If you were the big cheese what would you do? What would you keep? What would you take away? Try to be realistic here   

Buy Nick a Beer

Keep Nick

Remove Nick

Mark Frumkin · · Bishop, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 52

I'd walk away from it shaking my head & never look back!

W K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 167

Add a forum for gym climbers

Kevin Beverly wrote:
  • Donate it to the access fund so it would be managed properly.  

I dunno, I think it's better as a dictatorship. Committees never work.

• Allow local area climbing organizations to determine the content allowed in the database.  The user submitted content is often poor quality due it being submitted by people who are not familiar with or form the area. 

Not all areas have local climbing organizations, but also...committees never work.

• Oversharing information often times creates more problems that it solves. Not everything needs to be on the internet.

I agree that problems are created, but public information is public.

I once proposed advertising and using the funds to pay dirtbags to be "content providers" so that good content would be the standard. This is more of a wiki site, so some is good and some is bad, for better or worse.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Kevin Beverly wrote:
  • Donate it to the access fund so it would be managed properly.

How do you feel it’s mismanaged?

M M · · Maine · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 2

A forum on transitioning from gym climber to route developer would be awesome!

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Kevin Beverly wrote:

It's pretty irresponsible of Nick to have a hands off approach when it comes to providing all of this information regardless of the consequences it has on local communities. 

perhaps you can email Nick privately about your concerns instead of taking a broad swipe at him...on his own forum...

ubu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 10
Kevin Beverly wrote:

Nick tricked everyone into adding the data for free under the guise of a community resource. 

How exactly was anyone "tricked", and in what way is MP *not* a community resource?  

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

I'd switch it to a paid, tiered membership. I'd offer online paid mentorship programs. I'd provide Live Chat for last minute "where do we go from here" on the app, as well as offer a fee-based rescue alert service. I'd cash the fuck in on all of yalls freely submitted data. 

Because if I don't do it someone else surely will.

Short Fall Sean · · Bishop, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 7

This is (one reason) why I don't have kids. You work hard and get them a thing and you're like, "Hey enjoy this free thing." And they're like, "Wah, I hate you, this thing doesn't have sprinkles on it."

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

The new MP forum price list:

• Anything you can easily look up yourself, but are too lazy - $5.00

Examples: How many days can you camp in Joshua Tree? Where should I climb in Red Rock on sunny days?

• Any question that has been answered numerous times before, but you are too lazy to use the search function - $5.00

Example: What is the best rope/shoes/pack/ harness?

• Posting for any lost item worth less than $20.00 (a nut, quickdraw, Nalgene) - $10 penalty

If you stoop to playing the "sentimental value" card, there's an additional $5 penalty.

Edit: Anyone who asks where they should go for vacation or where they should retire will forfeit their membership and be imprisoned.

Michael Rush · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2020 · Points: 0

^^ +1 FrankPS

also add $10 for hypothetical questions

and $20 for any type of ‘re-invent the wheel’ type posts.

curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 274
Short Fall Sean wrote:

This is (one reason) why I don't have kids. You work hard and get them a thing and you're like, "Hey enjoy this free thing." And they're like, "Wah, I hate you, this thing doesn't have sprinkles on it."

not just kids. i like sprinkles too...but no jimmies. the south can have them....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "If you owned Mountain Project, what would you do?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started