Mountain Project Logo

Winds Cirque of Towers Rescue 8/2

Original Post
Sam Rath · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

We witnessed a woman being rescued in the winds yesterday. We spoke with some of the rescue team members that were left behind while she was flown to the nearest med ship. They told us that she was really banged up and that she may have taken an 80 foot fall somewhere on the north face of warbonnet likely on the feather buttress. If anyone knows what occurred or if she is okay our party just wants to make sure she is okay!

Darwin Castillo · · DC · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

@San, I did send you a private messsge

Tristan Mayfield · · SLC, UT · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 345

This information is kinda third-hand, so take it as you will, but I've heard that's she's not doing okay and might not make it. I don't think she was from the country either.

Feather Buttress is no joke of a route, there are a handful of places on it (other than the dangerous pitch) that I would probably consider a no fall zone.

Pretty sad.

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

Oh no :-(  Fingers crossed she pulls through.

Thomas Gilmore · · Where the climate suits my… · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,059

Any update or details?

Healing vibes to the injured climber

bob branscomb · · Lander, WY · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,198

According to Wyo10news August 4th, she fell 80-100 ft and sustained serious injuries.  She was flown out of the Cirque to Eastern Idaho Medical Center.  No further word about her on Wyo10. That's all I can find about it.

Wow, I hope she makes it...Bob Branscomb

E J · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 10

She has passed away, or will be taken off life support soon. More information and a gofundme (she is from Korea and her family flew to Idaho) here:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jiji039s-farewell-findraiser?utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link

Mitchell Goldman · · Moran, WY · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 168

I am very sad to hear this.  I met Jiji at an ice climbing clinic, and then she randomly passed me on a hiking trail at least a year later and amazingly recognized me from that weekend.  I was on my way to do some bolt replacement and litter cleanup and she expressed great interest in getting involved in any sort of crag cleanup/community service and eagerly followed up with me multiple times to try to help.  Unfortunately it never worked out before she left the area for the west coast.  She seemed to be always smiling and super stoked.  What a tragic loss.  

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Very sad to hear this.  

Teton Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 1

Let's put a name to this incredible woman.

Jihyun Yeonan-Kim (a.k.a. jiji)

"An artist by heart
A human vision expert by profession
A happy hippie mountain climber"

Some of her accomplishments:

Psychological Sciences, Ph.D. (Purdue University, 2013)
Electrical Engineering, M.S. (Purdue University, 2013)
Cognitive Science, M.S. (Yonsei University, 2009, South Korea)
English Language and Literature / Psychology, B.A. (Yonsei University, 2007, South Korea)

https://www.instagram.com/yeonankim_j/

https://phototrophique.com/about/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jihyun-yeonan-kim-29aa1958

GoFundMe

삼가고인의 명복을 빕니다.

Mark Frumkin · · Bishop, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 52

RIP

stephen arsenault · · Wolfeboro, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 66

Such sad news.!   She was obviously a very accomplished individual who will be missed by many.

Zachary Zwick · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 35

Wow. I was hiking through the cirque that day, and also on the summit of Longs a few days earlier when I saw the helicopter come down and pickup another climbing fatality. I was really hoping it wasn’t anything serious both time. Sorry to learn otherwise :(

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Winds Cirque of Towers Rescue 8/2"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started