Mountain Project Logo

"Latest Posts" page and "Recent Posts" removed from home page

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Nick Wilder wrote:

Sure. First some context: with the help of 170 volunteer regional admins (doing an amazing job of organizing and editing content in their regions), I operate and pay for the site myself (there is no revenue, and no plans for any).  It's equivalent to at least a full time job but I really enjoy coding and building features, and plan to continue doing this as a hobby indefinitely.

Absolutely blows my mind that this site has no revenue. Didn't BD pay to sponsor the app? Rock and ice, alpinist and climbing magazine aren't paying to be directly linked on the front page? 

My suggestion--this website is a great way to buy and sell gear. I've had 100% good experiences. Perhaps "for sale" posts could cost money? Or there could be a transaction fee of some sort? Not sure how this would work on the technology side.

matt

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 280
MP wrote:

Absolutely blows my mind that this site has no revenue. Didn't BD pay to sponsor the app? Rock and ice, alpinist and climbing magazine aren't paying to be directly linked on the front page? 

My suggestion--this website is a great way to buy and sell gear. I've had 100% good experiences. Perhaps "for sale" posts could cost money? Or there could be a transaction fee of some sort? Not sure how this would work on the technology side.

matt

Transaction fees seem like a bad idea because eBay has real buyer protection, and because it would turn this into a commerce site, which I doubt nick wants. Listing fees are also problematic since there’s a pretty high rate of no response

drew A · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 6

For my use the only forum page that I care about is the For Sale forum.

If the rest of the forums went away I wouldn't really care. 

Nkane 1 · · East Bay, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 475

Glad the latest posts button is back. I think this is a good compromise. I'll be interested if the forums are more or less lively after the change in any measurable way.

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

It looks like people get a limited number of posts per day.

Could we get a Post Counter to know how many we get?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Gumby King wrote: It looks like people get a limited number of posts per day.

Could we get a Post Counter to know how many we get?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountain Project News
Post a Reply to ""Latest Posts" page and "Recent Posts" removed…"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.