Mountain Project Logo

Anybody been climbing since the quarantine?

Eric L · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 260
B P wrote:

yes

I helped her die peacefully and comfortably (hopefully) while she couldn't have family members present because of the virus. (In a hospital setting and because of statewide restrictions on hospital visitors.)
I can go on and on about helping people pass comfortably, or about how insignificant you feel when you go watch a family member sign a POLST. I mean, heres this lady who who has been married for 49 years and 364 days (literally) when her husband had a heart attack and rather than blowing out candles on an anniversary cake she's in an ICU trying to get ahold of her children before literally pulling the plug.

Whats this to do with the coronavirus? Do we need one more virus or one more reason we won't see our loved ones next year? Do we need one more antagonist in life? Do we really need to be like China or Italy for fucks sake when we can just not #vanlife for a very insignificant amount of time?

So while I appreciate your humor when we're talking about grigris or figure 8's, or John Candy quotes, why don't you sit this one out?
#thatsnotapillow

#immyownbestfriend

Steph Evans · · Belgrade, MT · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

Hmmmm... doesn't sound so bad, eh?

Does anyone know anyone that has died from #Covid19 ?

Yeah, I do actually. 

A. B. · · San Diego · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 51

I have a shitty quarry pretty much all to myself.

Google tfp mountain project

B P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0
Dave K wrote:

Sorry for your loss, B P.

Hey I appreciate it, but it’s not my loss. It’s OUR loss. I don’t know why people can’t get that. 

GTS · · SoCal · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

Hmmmm... doesn't sound so bad, eh?

Does anyone know anyone that has died from #Covid19 ?

Two people I know, in their 30's, are currently suffering from Covid19. They said they wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

I know doctors in LA, SF, Denver, Chicago, Detroit and NY. They are terrified by what is happening and what is yet to come.

A friend in NY just had his cancer treatment cancelled because the hospital he goes to is overrun with Covid19 patients.

You might not think that this is a big deal, but  for many people it already is, and many more are about to find out in the coming weeks. Your flippant attitude is quite disgusting. Maybe, just maybe, for once on these forums, you just STFU.

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 146


GTS wrote:

Two people I know, in their 30's, are currently suffering from Covid19. They said they wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

I know doctors in LA, SF, Denver, Chicago, Detroit and NY. They are terrified by what is happening and what is yet to come.

A friend in NY just had his cancer treatment cancelled because the hospital he goes to is overrun with Covid19 patients.

You might not think that this is a big deal, but  for many people it already is, and many more are about to find out in the coming weeks. Your flippant attitude is quite disgusting. Maybe, just maybe, for once on these forums, you just STFU.

Their, FLIPPANT ATTITUDE, is not going to prevent them from getting infected!

THANK YOU, to all the climbers who are following the advice to stay at home unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.
Much RESPECT from me, to you.

Dwain

don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 26
seamus mcshane wrote: 
Let’s keep all the militant hostility directed at the shoppers....And maybe lighten up on the climbers?

Right.  Because people don't need food for their families, but they MUST go climbing.  

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
GTS wrote:

Two people I know, in their 30's, are currently suffering from Covid19. They said they wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

I know doctors in LA, SF, Denver, Chicago, Detroit and NY. They are terrified by what is happening and what is yet to come.

A friend in NY just had his cancer treatment cancelled because the hospital he goes to is overrun with Covid19 patients.

You might not think that this is a big deal, but  for many people it already is, and many more are about to find out in the coming weeks. Your flippant attitude is quite disgusting. Maybe, just maybe, for once on these forums, you just STFU.

(Edited out a second time to apologize for how my questions make people feeeeel.)

It IS quite terrifying, I agree but your posts read like the mass media, highlighting the worst specific cases. If you think about it, we could have similar conversations anytime of the year regarding many threats we face as humans on earth. 

I really wish we would apply the enthusiasm we have for solving this problem to those everyday threats, albeit they may be lesser threats on the grand scale of things.

The "data" could be interpreted to show this is the biggest threat ever faced in our lifetime, or it could also be interpreted to show our response is the biggest threat ever faced in our lifetime. I don't care enough about the data to parse things out but what is important is attitude and perspective.

Believe the world is ending? Well then it is, for you. Believe this is a hoax, then it is, for you. I don't think anyone on the extremes truly hopes they are right. Truth is most people lie in the middle and their "truth" is a matter if their attitude and perspective. Whatever their "truth" is they will likely defend to their proverbial death, especially on internet forums.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Tradiban wrote:

So no one you know died yet though? 

It IS quite terrifying, I agree but your posts read like the mass media, highlighting the worst specific cases. If you think about it, we could have similar conversations anytime of the year regarding many threats we face as humans on earth. 

I really wish we would apply the enthusiasm we have for solving this problem to those everyday threats, albeit they may be lesser threats on the grand scale of things.

The "data" could be interpreted to show this is the biggest threat ever faced in our lifetime, or it could also be interpreted to show our response is the biggest threat ever faced in our lifetime. I don't care enough about the data to parse things out but what is important is attitude and perspective.

Believe the world is ending? Well then it is, for you. Believe this is a hoax, then it is, for you. I don't think anyone on the extremes truly hopes they are right. Truth is most people lie in the middle and their "truth" is a matter if their attitude and perspective. Whatever their "truth" is they will likely defend to their proverbial death, especially on internet forums.

Deep bruh, deep

Cris Garcia · · Michigan · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 52
B P wrote:

Hey I appreciate it, but it’s not my loss. It’s OUR loss. I don’t know why people can’t get that. 

I’m not sure if you’re actually confused about why people don’t think like that or not but I’m sure there are some who do which is why the following is relevant. 

People don’t generally think this way because if the person isn’t relatively close to your group, you probably wont concern yourself with the problem. For example I’m sure you weren’t thinking about Joe Shmoe who died in Madagascar last night because you didn’t know Joe Shmoe from Madagascar.  It’s actually, in major part, how I think this thing spread so quickly. No one cared cuz it wasn’t happening to them and then it did happen to them and then people cared. It’s also likely playing a large part in why some people are unconcerned about it while others who have direct experience with the virus take it very seriously.

Alexander Blum · · Livermore, CA · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 143
Tradiban wrote:

The "data" could be interpreted to show this is the biggest threat ever faced in our lifetime, or it could also be interpreted to show our response is the biggest threat ever faced in our lifetime.

Is this some sort of code for "I don't understand what's going on, and have no interest in gaining understanding?". The data is clear and not hard to parse. No action worldwide would result in about 70% of all humans infected, and a death toll of 40-80 MILLION people over the next year. This is a low estimate.

Could you explain to me how the current response is worse than that threat? Or provide an example of a greater threat humanity has faced since the world wars?

Climberdude · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

Hmmmm... doesn't sound so bad, eh?

Does anyone know anyone that has died from #Covid19 ?

We have two relatives in Italy that died, and also a friends father here in the states that is in icu that may not make it.  

Joshua McDaniel · · Fayetteville, NC · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 175
Tradiban wrote:

Whatever their "truth" is they will likely defend to their proverbial death...

Or to their actual death in some cases.

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 146
Tradiban wrote:

So no one you know died yet though? 

It IS quite terrifying, I agree but your posts read like the mass media, highlighting the worst specific cases. If you think about it, we could have similar conversations anytime of the year regarding many threats we face as humans on earth. 

I really wish we would apply the enthusiasm we have for solving this problem to those everyday threats, albeit they may be lesser threats on the grand scale of things.

The "data" could be interpreted to show this is the biggest threat ever faced in our lifetime, or it could also be interpreted to show our response is the biggest threat ever faced in our lifetime. I don't care enough about the data to parse things out but what is important is attitude and perspective.

Believe the world is ending? Well then it is, for you. Believe this is a hoax, then it is, for you. I don't think anyone on the extremes truly hopes they are right. Truth is most people lie in the middle and their "truth" is a matter if their attitude and perspective. Whatever their "truth" is they will likely defend to their proverbial death, especially on internet forums.

Add me as knowing  a couple that just died last night here in Las Vegas.
Two of my window washing customers that turned into friends of mine over the years. I just heard from their Daughter this morning.
Husband and Wife. They were over 50 with no underlying conditions. and they were not overweight, or smokers either.

Edit to add; My Step Mom is almost ready to be released from the hospital. She was really sick and she is much better than she was a week and a half ago.
I went over to her apartment in full improvised covid gear and fully sterilized her apartment a few days ago. and when I got home I went thru an extensive
Decontamination process before I even stepped into my home I even sterilized the outside and inside of my truck. I threw all the clothes I was wearing into the trash outside before even going into my home. 

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,257

Hubris around this issue is remarkable on one side especially. I usually call the game after the buzzer.

Don’t know anybody who died of it yet? Very sadly, you may only need to wait a bit.

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 146
 Colonel Mustard wrote: Hubris around this issue is remarkable on one side especially. I usually call the game after the buzzer.

Don’t know anybody who died of it yet? Very sadly, you may only need to wait a bit.

The way it's spreading so fast everyone will know someone soon.
Possibly even themselves, especially if they are in the group that isn't following the stay at home advice
unless absolutely necessary.
I am quarantining myself for 14 days in my spare bedroom, so in case I got infected while I was sterilizing  my Moms
house the other day, I want to lessen the chance of my Wife getting it.

I think that is why I have been so vocal here on MP about the flippant climbers who are ignoring the CDC advice, because I saw how sick my Mom got, and how FAST
this virus is spreading.

Harris P · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 60
Tradiban wrote:

I know. I'm like the philosopher king of MP. 

Disagree.

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1
Tamiban Gueterstan wrote: MP accounts should require Real ID verification, mandatory partner feedback, and a social credit score. We must not forget who was on what side and how we felt about them at the time.

welcome to chi nuh....they're  considering this for their whole population

B P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0
Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain wrote: Add me as knowing  a couple that just died last night here in Las Vegas.
Two of my window washing customers that turned into friends of mine over the years. I just heard from their Daughter this morning.
Husband and Wife. They were over 50 with no underlying conditions. and they were not overweight, or smokers either.

Edit to add; My Step Mom is almost ready to be released from the hospital. She was really sick and she is much better than she was a week and a half ago.
I went over to her apartment in full improvised covid gear and fully sterilized her apartment a few days ago. and when I got home I went thru an extensive
Decontamination process before I even stepped into my home I even sterilized the outside and inside of my truck. I threw all the clothes I was wearing into the trash outside before even going into my home. 

Sorry to hear it Dwain.

GTS · · SoCal · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

So no one you know died yet though? 

I knew you would say this as a way to discredit everything I said, so I purposely left it out. My friend's mom died last Tuesday. So yes, I do know someone who died from it. Happy now? 

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.