|
|
Joe Lange
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Boulder, CO
· Joined Aug 2015
· Points: 20
Looks like Movement is either partnering or more likely has been sold to to El Cap gyms (who owns Earth Treks)
Dear MC+F Community, The climbing and fitness industry has seen explosive growth in the last five years and shows no sign of slowing down. During these exciting times, Movement's Leadership Team has continually worked to steward journeys to profound personal and collective growth for our communities by intentionally investing in our people and planet. Now, we have found an opportunity to have a significantly greater, positive impact! We're excited to announce that Movement Climbing + Fitness has decided to join the El Cap family of gyms, which includes Earth Treks and Planet Granite! From East to West, we will become one of the largest networks of climbing communities in the country. We believe that by positioning ourselves with the prominently growing group in the country, we can have an incredibly positive impact on the rock climbing industry at a national level, offer more services to members and guests, and more career possibilities to staff. We believe the sum is greater than the parts. Collectively, Movement, Earth Treks, and Planet Granite will stand beside each other to affect positive change in the climbing industry. We look forward to the horizon and taking this journey with you! — Anne-Worley + Mike + The Movement Team
|
|
|
Aron Roberts
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Groveland, CA
· Joined Jan 2017
· Points: 76
While it seems most of the ET folks arent happy about this, as a Movement member all I can say is....
Thanks for cutting down the traffic at Baker! Wooooooo
|
|
|
curt86iroc
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Lakewood, CO
· Joined Dec 2014
· Points: 274
Aron Roberts wrote: While it seems most of the ET folks arent happy about this, as a Movement member all I can say is....
Thanks for cutting down the traffic at Baker! Wooooooo i honestly doubt the gyms will be more crowded. people will most likely continue to climb at whatever gym is closer to their home or office. for example, i'm not driving to baker just because my membership works there now...
|
|
|
Mike
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Dec 2013
· Points: 30
I haven't spoken to many people about this but everyone I've spoken with has been happy to hear it.
|
|
|
Val I
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Englewood, CO
· Joined Apr 2011
· Points: 10
Just an excuse to raise memberships next year. Also say goodbye to ET Englewood as you know it.
|
|
|
Mike
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Dec 2013
· Points: 30
Val wrote: Also say goodbye to ET Englewood as you know it. You say that like its a bad thing? <--(Half joking)
|
|
|
Aron Roberts
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Groveland, CA
· Joined Jan 2017
· Points: 76
I'm honestly with you but with the responses ive seen, it seems that people are worried about that.
If anything its a wash but it's going to be sweet to hit ET once in a while.
|
|
|
Jim Amidon
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Jun 2001
· Points: 840
I think this is just the start to more of a national presence for more gyms so they can survive as a larger group instead of being singular
|
|
|
Conor Jonson
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Denver, CO
· Joined Jun 2014
· Points: 632
Ugh.
Give it a few years and ET will be upwards of 120 a month, I bet, with 30 dollar day passes. Which would be ridiculous.
|
|
|
Joe Lange
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Boulder, CO
· Joined Aug 2015
· Points: 20
curt86iroc wrote: i honestly doubt the gyms will be more crowded. people will most likely continue to climb at whatever gym is closer to their home or office. for example, i'm not driving to baker just because my membership works there now... That's how I feel about this. Ill still climb at Boulder, but its nice to have the option to climb with some of my outdoor buddies at Earth Treks.
|
|
|
TaylorP
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Pump Haus, Sonora
· Joined Oct 2016
· Points: 50
Conor Jonson wrote: Ugh.
Give it a few years and ET will be upwards of 120 a month, I bet, with 30 dollar day passes. Which would be ridiculous. I think thats probably true... and it seems fair. $120 for climbing, yoga, strength/fitness classes (my gym has cycling & boxing), cardio equipment, free weights & machines, showers/sauna, and usually free monthly events (movie screenings, comps, etc). Compare that to normal gyms in the area and its pretty absurd what climbing gyms offer for the price.
|
|
|
Forthright
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Oct 2011
· Points: 110
Nice, now all my friends who live downtown with a movement membership have one less excuse to come climb indoors with me
|
|
|
Redyns
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Unknown Hometown
· Joined Apr 2011
· Points: 60
gym climbing is the new Hansel
|
|
|
Alan Bowman
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Denver, CO
· Joined Jun 2017
· Points: 0
TaylorP wrote: I think thats probably true... and it seems fair. $120 for climbing, yoga, strength/fitness classes (my gym has cycling & boxing), cardio equipment, free weights & machines, showers/sauna, and usually free monthly events (movie screenings, comps, etc). Compare that to normal gyms in the area and its pretty absurd what climbing gyms offer for the price. My normal gym gives me access to a chain of locations all over the metro area, 24 hours a day, with all of the above except the climbing and the film screening, for about $40 (a month, not per day). I really like ET, but a bit of perspective.
|
|
|
La MoMoface
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Arvada, CO
· Joined Apr 2008
· Points: 60
Alan Bowman wrote: My normal gym gives me access to a chain of locations all over the metro area, 24 hours a day, with all of the above except the climbing and the film screening, for about $40 (a month, not per day). I really like ET, but a bit of perspective. For more perspective, my hubby used to do Xfit where he was only able to go for an hour a day, 3x a week, usually with a 40:1 instructor ratio - for the low low deal of $135/month. Extra days after 3 were $20/session. Because of this he ALSO had a $20/month membership to one of those massive 80-treadmill places that does have classes but... I went once and couldn't stand it. At least climbing gyms have some semblance of a culture/community.
|
|
|
Long Ranger
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Boulder, CO
· Joined Jan 2014
· Points: 669
I used to go to the city boxing gym: $225/year. No movie showings, or climbing gym.No spin classes. But now I can kick your ass.
For some more perspective.
|
|
|
Marc H
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Longmont, CO
· Joined May 2007
· Points: 265
I heard backcountry dot com is in the works to buy out all of the El Cap gyms.
|
|
|
Drew Eflin
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Denver, CO
· Joined Apr 2017
· Points: 70
Yo as a Movement member I'm pretty pumped to be able to go hit ET now- sorry nerds. It's almost like I just got the EPIC pass of climbing gyms.... p.s. don't buy the epic pass unless you want to drive up with all the other goombas and stand in line.
|
|
|
Alan Bowman
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Denver, CO
· Joined Jun 2017
· Points: 0
La MoMoface wrote: For more perspective, my hubby used to do Xfit where he was only able to go for an hour a day, 3x a week, usually with a 40:1 instructor ratio - for the low low deal of $135/month. Extra days after 3 were $20/session. Because of this he ALSO had a $20/month membership to one of those massive 80-treadmill places that does have classes but... I went once and couldn't stand it. At least climbing gyms have some semblance of a culture/community. Yes, it’s all in what’s most important to you. I was responding only to the OP statement about what seems reasonable in terms of cost. Obviously not apples to apples comparison. I love climbing gyms for the sport specific training and the community aspects that you can’t get anywhere else other than at outside crags. ET comes closest to replacing the need for a separate membership just for access to free weights and cardio, and the additional locations are appealing for someone whose work location and schedule.
|
|
|
La MoMoface
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Arvada, CO
· Joined Apr 2008
· Points: 60
Alan Bowman wrote: Yes, it’s all in what’s most important to you. I was responding only to the OP statement about what seems reasonable in terms of cost. Obviously not apples to apples comparison. I love climbing gyms for the sport specific training and the community aspects that you can’t get anywhere else other than at outside crags. ET comes closest to replacing the need for a separate membership just for access to free weights and cardio, and the additional locations are appealing for someone whose work location and schedule. Oh totally, I just think that comparing a fully featured climbing gym to a planet fitness or whatever is a little apples to oranges. That said, I have no idea how the average family of four can afford a climbing gym membership - back in my day, my family of 6 had a family YMCA membership for $250 a year!
|
|
|
Parker Wrozek
·
Nov 6, 2019
·
Denver, CO
· Joined Mar 2012
· Points: 86
I live closest to rino and Baker movement but am an ET member since you can actually climb at them and the setting isn't garbage. It will be nice to be able to pop over to rino but unless the setting gets better and the crowds less I will still go to ET.
Hopefully we don't see prices go way up but we will see...
E: $3 more per month next year. $82 instead of $79
|