Mountain Project Logo

Guide book collectors?

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Tom McCrumm · · Somewhere north of the Gunks · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 7

I have a lot of climbing guidebooks from the 1960's-1970's.  I'm wondering if there are any climbers out there who collect old guidebooks.  I hate to just throw them away.  Now that SuperTopo is gone, I don't know how to reach people so I'm trying Mtn Project, which I've never used before.

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

There is a significant market, especially for the older, rarer guides. eBay is the best bet, but if you want to sell them all at once Chessler would likely be interested. There are a few I’m interested in for my personal collection. I’ll send you a PM. 

Steve G · · Portland, OR · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 29

I collect older guidebooks and am interested. PM sent.

Tim Stafford · · Rock Hill, SC · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0

Are there any East Coast guidebooks in the collection?  I'd love some old guides to the Carolinas

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730
Tom McCrumm wrote: I have a lot of climbing guidebooks from the 1960's-1970's.  I'm wondering if there are any climbers out there who collect old guidebooks.  I hate to just throw them away.  Now that SuperTopo is gone, I don't know how to reach people so I'm trying Mtn Project, which I've never used before.

no need to throw them out!

DaEyeDoc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 20

Also interested in old guide books, especially western US

Tom McCrumm · · Somewhere north of the Gunks · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 7

Thanks for all your replies.  I'll make an effort to get my books together and make a list to post, or I'll list them on eBay (which is what many recommended) and give a heads-up on MP in case anyone is interested.  I also have a few Vulgarian Digests someone might want for their collection.  They may be "offensive" to some folks, but they are the Vulgarian Digests, y'know, so don't even think of them if being offended by climbing shit is your game.

Hamish Hamish · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

Also interested.  Post some stuff up here!!!

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

I've been collecting for 20 years....let's see what you have  : )

Joe M · · MA and NH · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 11,725

If you don't know the books worth, ebay is the way to go. I have sold some old guidebooks for over $100. If you know their worth, this forum is a great place to sell stuff...

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.