Mountain Project Logo

Shasta West Face Conditions mid July 2019?

Original Post
Brent Salmi · · Mountain View, CA · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 10

Hello all!

My partner and I were planning on climbing the West face route of Mt. Shasta in early June but our schedules got jumbled around. The next time we're both free is July 13th weekend. Does anyone have recent photos/trip report of the west face route? I know it is usually climbed winter/early season and melts out so I am curious if this is still an option this year with the increased snowpack.

The only recent reports I've found have been from Avy Gulch ( shastaavalanche.org/observa…) on June 24th but I suspect the West face may be melting at a different rate. If it is looking like a no-go I'll start putting together another route plan earlier than later.

- Brent

Kyle Wescott · · California · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Skied the west face from the summit plateau to the car a couple weeks ago. A few tents in hidden valley but nothing like Helen lake. Sounds like the approach may have melted out a bit but the west face is still in for climbing/skiing. You can see the route from town to check coverage when you get there. Also, you might find more info in the coming weeks on the TGR Shasta thread. 

B G · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 30

As of now it’s still good to go. I haven’t been over there but I’m potentially going over to hidden valley this week. Suncups are definitely starting to form and the approach to hidden valley is fading but still very climb worthy.

B G · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 30

Brent if you end up hitting this please post some pictures. Thanks!

Terry E · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 43

West Face looks pretty good still:

http://www.snowcrest.net/camera/highres.php

Evan Gerry · · Redding, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 15
revans90 wrote: Lots of snow on the west face above tree line. Sun cupping down low on Shasta and probably a pain getting back to bunny flat if your skiing. But it’s deffinatly great to climb up still.
Would you say worth lugging skis up for the descent? I’m looking to try the West Gully route next weekend but am from out of the area. Otherwise I’ll just forego the skis
Brent Salmi · · Mountain View, CA · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 10

We summited via the West Face July 14th 2019.

  • Bring Ski's, lots of snow, we glissaded the entire west face
  • Bunny flats to Horse camp is essential snow free
  • Horse Camp to Hidden Valley has a few 100 foot or so snow traverses but otherwise trail/talus
  • Hidden Valley campsites are snow free! Snow approach around the campsites though
  • Running water right at the entrance to Hidden Valley



Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Shasta West Face Conditions mid July 2019?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.