trad climbing
|
|
trad climbing or run a 14er. Hit me up Matt 443 900 8741 |
|
|
Start VERY early as it's Supposed to be warm Saturday and people have been buried and killed in avalanches on the approach |
|
|
Skied it saturday, its good snow right now. |
|
|
what route to do you intend to take? the standard, the north side from grizzly gulch, from loveland pass?? AVI danger still exists up high...i wouldn't go alone this time of year. there is a SNOTEL site on top of grizzly. i'd keep an eye on that. |
|
|
Front Range is at 290% of normal snow for this time of year, pretty normal max. Avy danger is considerable and snow is falling today and tomorrow (and yesterday and the day before). The summer trail is buried and crosses known avy paths. The winter trail may or may not have tracks by Saturday. Know the route, know winter mountaineering skills and have avalanche avoidance skills. |
|
|
Cobra Wrestlr wrote: Its snowed up here a little , not a ton of accumulation.. but the entire hike is pretty low angle and mellow correct?... I heard there have been slides on the road? How serious is the a avalanche danger? The snowpack will be more stable in the morning when it's colder , correct? And become more unstable as it really warms up? I know they got a foot of snow up there last week. This week not so much ... Cold doesn't mean stable, with recent a snow cold is actually soft and less stable (although this depends on the type of snowfall, water content, etc). It will stabilize with freeze thaw cycles at which point cold does mean stable. |
|
|
You'll probably get more info at 14ers.com |
|
|
Good luck, have fun! |
|
|
FYI a safer approach would be from Loveland pass. With the Winter TH from Bakersville added in their lengths should be very similar and you would be on top of the ridgeline the whole way so your main concern would just be cornices. |
|
|
When you are trying to access how mountain peaks will be, snow frozen, sun forecast, when to start based on temp warm up, etc. this is a very helpful website: |
|
|
Mark Andes wrote: Avy danger is considerable and snow is falling today and tomorrow (and yesterday and the day before). Per the CAIC the danger is low...moderate tomorrow, probably similar on Saturday. The real concern will be wet slides it doesn't sound like the OP has much training with Avalanches but no reason to post completely inaccurate things. Just want to add that zonal forecasts are not super accurate but based on what I am seeing a quick morning lap up there looks pretty good saturday. |
|
|
Parker Wrozek wrote: Per the CAIC the danger is low...moderate tomorrow, probably similar on Saturday. The real concern will be wet slides it doesn't sound like the OP has much training with Avalanches but no reason to post completely inaccurate things. Just want to add that zonal forecasts are not super accurate but based on what I am seeing a quick morning lap up there looks pretty good saturday. oh wow stand corrected there, last time I checked (Sunday I think) it was considerable. Given that each day Mountain-Forecast was showing snow and cold I assumed it was just about unchanged. Sorry. Still though with little avy knowledge it's hard to recommend going out right now. Which is why I pointed out the ridge approach as a better option. |
|
|
I can agree with you there! Sorry if I was sounding harsh. Not intended. |
|
|
What’s up with the topic of “..”? |




