Mountain Project Logo

Memphis Bridge Sport Route

Original Post
Gabe Fuhrman · · Memphis, TN · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

I remember the late Michael Feehan telling me about a bolted climb on the base of one of the Mississippi River bridge supports. Maybe 5.11b? Anyone know anything about this?

emmet · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 0

Back in '93 I used to climb with the Memphis mountaineers on the bridge supports. They had a system set up that we could pull a cord to take your rope up through an anchor. I doubt it is still there. the routes were around .10, but I bet you could make an .11 easily. Never saw a bolted route. Unfortunately my lasting memory is hearing ricochets coming off the support as someone was shooting from the Arkansas side! I yelled for my belayer to dirt me and I never went back. poison ivy was pretty bad too. Be careful out there.
(we used to boulder the walls at  the Mudd island parking garage, post office and the piggly wiggly)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Memphis Bridge Sport Route"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.