Mountain Project Logo

WTB Men's Patagonia R1 Hoody size Medium 2017/2018 version

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
John Allard · · San Francisco, CA · Joined May 2019 · Points: 62

Hello all,

My beloved R1 hoody was recently stolen at the climbing gym and I'm looking to replace it. It was a 2018 model and I much preferred it to the updated 2019 model. I'm looking for a used men's medium from 2017/2018 preferably black in color but I'm open to other options.

I'm new to Mountain Project but I've been selling on Poshmark/Ebay for a while so I can link those account as a reference if you'd like.

Thanks,
John

Billy Pilgrim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Hey John,

I've got a black medium hoody--it's patagonia waffle knit, but doesn't have the R on the sleeve. Otherwise exactly like the R1 hoody. I'm wondering if it is expedition weight capilene? I can send you photos if you like. Let me know.

Billy Pilgrim wrote: Hey John,

I've got a black medium hoody--it's patagonia waffle knit, but doesn't have the R on the sleeve. Otherwise exactly like the R1 hoody. I'm wondering if it is expedition weight capilene? I can send you photos if you like. Let me know.

Hi Billy,

I'll definitely take a look at some pictures if you wouldn't mind sending some over. I'm really looking for a bomber technical piece that I can wear as an active layer while climbing and backpacking in the Sierra. The capilene tends to be more of a base layer so I'm not sure if it's a true substitute, though the expedition weight stuff is significantly more heavy than the lightweight capilene that I'm used to.

bump

John Allard wrote:

Hi Billy,

I'll definitely take a look at some pictures if you wouldn't mind sending some over. I'm really looking for a bomber technical piece that I can wear as an active layer while climbing and backpacking in the Sierra. The capilene tends to be more of a base layer so I'm not sure if it's a true substitute, though the expedition weight stuff is significantly more heavy than the lightweight capilene that I'm used to.

Hey John,

I'll take some photos and send them to you later this evening!

Wow what is that thing? I've never seen any other capilene quite like that, it's very R1-like. Does it have thumb loops?

Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

That is a Cap 4 hoody. It predated the Capilene Expedition Weight moniker, it's basically the same as the Cap Exp hoody with the exception that it has a chest pocket and a different pattern of seamless shoulders. If you look on Backpacking Light forum they have some comparison threads b/w the R1 and Cap4 hoody. I have both and find it is actually more versatile insofar as temperature range and overheating during aerobic output, but I suspect it is less durable to abrasion of rock climbing (I defer to the R1 or a simple 100wt fleece if I know I will be tearing it up). Not quite as warm, but breathes much better than. the R1 (which breaths OK to begin with)

John Allard wrote: Wow what is that thing? I've never seen any other capilene quite like that, it's very R1-like. Does it have thumb loops?

It does have thumb loops, though they are the more simplistic kind—not machined into the actual construction of the sleeve, but rather extra loops of fabric sewn into the inside of the wrist cuff. They work functionally the same. 

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

how much are you looking to spend?  i have the old style with the belay compatible tuck-in in yellow/blue.  

Steven Libretti · · Northern, NJ · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Redyns wrote: how much are you looking to spend?  i have the old style with the belay compatible tuck-in in yellow/blue.  

pretty sure OP doesn't want that because that is similar to the 2019 version then

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60
Steven Libretti wrote:

pretty sure OP doesn't want that because that is similar to the 2019 version then

i apologize for my gearwhore knowledge being insufficient.  

Regardless of Steve's ASSumption, my R1 is still available.  

Redyns, can you post a picture of your R1?

Billy Pilgrim, I'm extremely interested in the cap4 hoody. PM'ing you.

Linnaeus, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge on the cap4! I really appreciate it.

jchapell · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0
null

2016 medium that I might sell if you are interested ...

jchapell, I'm interested. Can you post chest and length measurements? (armpit to armpit and length from neck to bottom, thanks!)

Will do, I'll send it in the morning...

I hope this is helpful - let me know what you think. In full disclosure I’m still deciding for sure if I want to sell it, I tried on the new style a few weeks back and didn’t mind it, I’ll try it on again today and make sure. 

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.