Mountain Project Logo

Target shooting

chris tregge · · Madison WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 11,036

Better yet combine target shooting with an aerobic sport in the off season.  :)  

Robin like the bird · · Philomath, or · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 300

Can't ya'll start a garden or something more productive with the weekends.. I mean climbing seems to be pointless and destructive enough to the Nature... For reals though it might be past time for us to stop spraying lead all over the Forest

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Robin like the bird wrote: Can't ya'll start a garden or something more productive with the weekends.. I mean climbing seems to be pointless and destructive enough to the Nature... For reals though it might be past time for us to stop spraying lead all over the Forest

Not everything is lead anymore, just FYI. 

I garden, as a matter of fact.

Target shooting can be just a relaxing thing to do outdoors, or a very precise sport. Biathlon even more so. It isn't very much about the firepower, it can become about perfection. It easily appeals to the same mindset that climbing does. 

Best, Helen
Kyle Taylor · · Broomfield CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Old lady H wrote:

Not everything is lead anymore, just FYI. 

I garden, as a matter of fact.

Target shooting can be just a relaxing thing to do outdoors, or a very precise sport. Biathlon even more so. It isn't very much about the firepower, it can become about perfection. It easily appeals to the same mindset that climbing does. 

Best, Helen

I too garden as well. It’s equally as fun and rewarding like many other hobbies, including target shooting!

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

I just like to spray lead..... ;)

Gardening seems so violent, you grow little plants and then just rip them up and eat them......

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,190
Robin like the bird wrote: Can't ya'll start a garden or something more productive with the weekends.. I mean climbing seems to be pointless and destructive enough to the Nature... For reals though it might be past time for us to stop spraying lead all over the Forest

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
John Barritt wrote: I just like to spray lead..... ;)

Gardening seems so violent, you grow little plants and then just rip them up and eat them......

Ya so violent! How would you guys like to cut down by the ankles, hung up to dry out over a week, cut up then smoked!!

Kyle Taylor · · Broomfield CO · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Bill Kirby wrote:

Ya so violent! How would you guys like to cut down by the ankles, hung up to dry out over a week, cut up then smoked!!

#teamhuman

I asked my wife, "Honey, would you like to garden? Or spray lead?

She said "Silly husband! I much prefer spraying lead."
Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Shooting is definitely a good rest day activity.
I picked up a Ruger mini 30 recently mostly for target shooting.
What I really need to work on is my accuracy with a handgun. Have owned a 22,9mm,.40,and .45 and as much as I’d like to act like a badass, I’m usually off what I wanted to hit by an inch or two. Doesn’t hurt to have goals though and that’s something I really want to work on.

Archery is also a pretty good one even for rest day, shooting lighter poundage.
We have a range setup in our yard that I’ll sling a few arrows at a few times a week

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Jeff Luton wrote: Shooting is definitely a good rest day activity.
I picked up a Ruger mini 30 recently mostly for target shooting.
What I really need to work on is my accuracy with a handgun. Have owned a 22,9mm,.40,and .45 and as much as I’d like to act like a badass, I’m usually off what I wanted to hit by an inch or two. Doesn’t hurt to have goals though and that’s something I really want to work on.

Archery is also a pretty good one even for rest day, shooting lighter poundage.
We have a range setup in our yard that I’ll sling a few arrows at a few times a week

If you wanna have tighter groups start practicing with your .22. Sometimes recoil starts to mess with you and since a .22 has none it will break your habit of anticipating the recoil. Once you have your act together go up in caliber.

Bill Kirby wrote:

If you wanna have tighter groups start practicing with your .22. Sometimes recoil starts to mess with you and since a .22 has none it will break your habit of anticipating the recoil. Once you have your act together go up in caliber.

I’d really like for that to be the problem, but in all honesty im pretty sure it’s how I use the sights. I’ve noticed I concentrate to much on the rear sights and the front after looking into some shooting tips online. It makes sense though, blasting with a shotgun of course (for the most part) you only have the front bead

Adam Stackhouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 13,970

pick up your brass youngsters!

Jeff Luton wrote:

I’d really like for that to be the problem, but in all honesty im pretty sure it’s how I use the sights. I’ve noticed I concentrate to much on the rear sights and the front after looking into some shooting tips online. It makes sense though, blasting with a shotgun of course (for the most part) you only have the front bead

Never use the sights on a pistol. Point it like your finger, both eyes open and shoot.

You never miss with your finger......

As an experiment, point as described above NOT looking down the barrel. Point at a target or fixed object say a coffee can. Then holding the pistol steady move your line of sight down the barrel. You'll find it on target every time.
Mongoclimb · · Seattle, WA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

Sights are aid. 

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488
John Barritt wrote:

Never use the sights on a pistol. Point it like your finger, both eyes open and shoot.

As an experiment, point as described above NOT looking down the barrel. Point at a target or fixed object say a coffee can. Then holding the pistol steady move your line of sight down the barrel. You'll find it on target every time.

This is terrible advice. It might work for hitting a torso sized target at 2 yards, but theres a reason that competitors upgrade factory sights on pistols, and slide mounted red dot sights are becoming increasingly mainstream. You should practice dry firing your firearm to practice acquiring a sight picture and making sure you maintain that sight picture through the trigger pull.

John Barritt wrote:

Hell I’ll try anything once, sounds like shooting a recurve on instinct

Dylan Pike wrote:

This is terrible advice. It might work for hitting a torso sized target at 2 yards, but theres a reason that competitors upgrade factory sights on pistols, and slide mounted red dot sights are becoming increasingly mainstream. You should practice dry firing your firearm to practice acquiring a sight picture and making sure you maintain that sight picture through the trigger pull.

That’s more along the lines of what I’m thinking Dylan, I’ve been meaning to pick up a few different calibers of those snap caps

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Target shooting"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started