Mountain Project Logo

Starting a climbing gym in Columbia SC

Mason Rauch · · Columbia, SC · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Hey I know I’m late to this thread but I’m trying to find  me some information on the climbing community in Columbia. I started climbing some recently at Inner Peaks in Charlotte but the drive from Columbia is too much, I only go when I’m visiting my girlfriend there. Has this idea moved forward any? Maybe we can put our heads together?

Richard Ly · · Fernandina Beach, FL · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Hi, I recently moved to Columbia from Orlando, FL and would love a rock climbing gym nearby. I've gone to Active Climbing in Augusta to climb but it's too far. Back in Florida, we also had a free gym available for students at the university near by but most of the students that climbed were willing to drive ~30 minutes to go to the nearby rock gym a few times a week. I would love to help get this going.

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

I started climbing at Stronghold (the old gym) in 1999. I moved to North Carolina 4 years ago, and I'm now climbing at Center 45 in Boone about once a week.

Center 45 is fantastic. They have bouldering, a large training area with systems boards, various hang boards, campus boards, and a free weights area. No roped climbing. 1/3 of the routes are reset every single Monday, meaning a 100% new set every 3 weeks. And it's awesome for training.

FWIW, there is an OBVIOUS difference in average climbing ability between SMAC and C45 with Boone climbers being stronger. I think part of it is too many Asheville climbers wasting too much time with fun but shitty non-training on the roped routes.

I say this because a bouldering gym is probably way more reasonable to start than a roped climbing gym in Columbia

Haydn Braun · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 25

I know a few other people who are interested in starting one there too. I just graduated from USC and definitely would have gone. Send me a message if you want their info. 

Corey Scheip · · Saluda, NC · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 15

Are you familiar with the Rockcoon venture in Greenville? Primarily a bouldering gym with some limited rope areas slated to open in Spring 2019. Pending their success, they may have interest in branching out in a few years within the state - who knows? I am thinking of the success Triangle Rock Club had from their beginnings in Morrisville NC to now 5 locations across 2 states. Just an idea....I always support a gym where there is none, so good luck!

AField · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

All-- There's already something in the works. If you are curious about it, contact Chris Neal at Capital Climbing. 

Ashley Ginns · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0

Hey guys, I have heard you all are looking for a climbing gym in Columbia. I am working with two clients for one of my classes who want to start a climbing gym in Columbia, SC. This is a questionnaire to collect information regarding whether this can be a successful endeavor for them. Please fill this out and share it if you live in or around Columbia. It would mean a lot to me! Also, if you have any suggestions feel free to comment on this post.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfg2tonRezAPDOwxftBrq0PLX0S07mXQbK--Nmx9tFUTbQFyA/viewform

Caleb Jones · · North Carolina · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Are these 2 seperate gym ideas or the same thing?

J D · · SC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 25
Ashley Ginns wrote: Hey guys, I have heard you all are looking for a climbing gym in Columbia. I am working with two clients for one of my classes who want to start a climbing gym in Columbia, SC. This is a questionnaire to collect information regarding whether this can be a successful endeavor for them. Please fill this out and share it if you live in or around Columbia. It would mean a lot to me! Also, if you have any suggestions feel free to comment on this post.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfg2tonRezAPDOwxftBrq0PLX0S07mXQbK--Nmx9tFUTbQFyA/viewform

I took the survey earlier this week. Hope this happens. Still a drive for me but better than Charlotte. 

John DeRaimo · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 47

Somewhat related - MP's gym directory now allows users to rate gyms, add gyms and suggest edits to existing listings.

South Carolina: https://www.mountainproject.com/gyms/south-carolina
All States: https://www.mountainproject.com/gyms 

Tara Molina Hengoed · · Columbia, SC · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 5
Ashley Ginns wrote: Hey guys, I have heard you all are looking for a climbing gym in Columbia. I am working with two clients for one of my classes who want to start a climbing gym in Columbia, SC. This is a questionnaire to collect information regarding whether this can be a successful endeavor for them. Please fill this out and share it if you live in or around Columbia. It would mean a lot to me! Also, if you have any suggestions feel free to comment on this post.

I hope this works! I would love to not drive over an hour for a gym or 2 hours to trad routes every week. 

Josh Schmidt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

I'm interested in helping to start a gym here. I guess I'll contact Chris Neal, however, feel free to message me if there is something else going on.

Amanda Moles · · Landrum, SC · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Has this idea come to fruition?

Jared Chrysostom · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
Amanda Moles wrote: Has this idea come to fruition?

No

David Williams · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Where in Columbia would you open a climbing gym? I so badly want to get back into climbing. I am unable to leave SC custody battle reasons. Not only do we need a climbing gym we need to work on the schools here as well the public schools suck. So, does the crime level. If we added a climbing gym and made the schools at least similar to Fort Mill SC, Tega Cay SC, or  Brea Ca. I believe that that the crime level would decrease! 

David Williams · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

What is fruition?

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493
David Williams wrote: What is fruition?

Charged particles of watermelon

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Surely someone's got a million bucks to burn on this!  Come on people!

Jared Chrysostom · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

There’s a saying about how you make a small fortune building sailboats: start with a large one. Applies to climbing gyms also maybe?

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

There's "climbing" in S.C.? Fuuuccckkk that...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Starting a climbing gym in Columbia SC"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started