Mountain Project Logo

Ski Tips for Beginners

Original Post
E K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Hi, I am going skiing for the first time tommow. Any good tips for a beginner. 

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

I saw a sign at Keystone a couple years ago that said “trees don’t move.”  Seems like that’s important.

Ian Jones · · Eastern Sierra · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Learn your pizza and french fries. Have fun!

Mark Frumkin · · Bishop, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 52

Take a lesson!

Daniel Melnyk · · Covina · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 50

Second take a lesson.
Lean forward 

Kai Parker · · Dirtbag USA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 40

Don't ask for ski advice on a climbing forum. Best advice you'll get out of this whole thread..

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 17

You can get pretty far with a single half-day lesson, occasional access to a resort, enough money to pay for lift tickets, and somewhat of a sense of adventure

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Just spend the money. 

Zach Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 275

Honestly, the first step to skiing is super easy. Trade them in for a snowboard. After that, shred the gnar pow brah! 

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

First, learn how to fall. Really.

Mark Frumkin · · Bishop, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 52

Snowboarding is sooo yesterday

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

Definitely lesson with a real instructor, not your friends. Took me three tries to figure that out.

Bill Czajkowski wrote: Definitely lesson with a real instructor, not your friends. Took me three tries to figure that out.

And definitely not from/to your SO. Ever. That is an excellent way to ruin a relationship. Neutral parties for the win.

Jackson Grimes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Get.corked 

Christian Black · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 365

Ski Instructor here: Take one full day lesson and practice those basics every time you ski. It's really hard to break bad habits like skiing in the backseat. I had no skiing experience before this season and started from ground zero with professional instruction all season and I'm caught up to my friends who've been skiing for years. It's just like climbing, good technique will get you a loooong way. 

Kenneth Farmer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0
Christian Black wrote: Ski Instructor here: Take one full day lesson and practice those basics every time you ski. It's really hard to break bad habits like skiing in the backseat. I had no skiing experience before this season and started from ground zero with professional instruction all season and I'm caught up to my friends who've been skiing for years. It's just like climbing, good technique will get you a loooong way. 

Thanks

Brandon Burns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0
Christian Black wrote: Ski Instructor here: Take one full day lesson and practice those basics every time you ski. It's really hard to break bad habits like skiing in the backseat. I had no skiing experience before this season and started from ground zero with professional instruction all season and I'm caught up to my friends who've been skiing for years. It's just like climbing, good technique will get you a loooong way. 

Thanks for the advice.

So, how did it go?

Dara · · Peep's republic · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 21

Practice this mantra: Accept the downhill.

Also.....take lessons.

Mark Westfall · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Zach Holt wrote: Honestly, the first step to skiing is super easy. Trade them in for a snowboard. After that, shred the gnar pow brah! 

Go smoke crack in the terrain park you hooligan. 

Matthew Bertolatus · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 90

Wait you've been skiing for less than one year and you're a ski instructor now? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Ski Tips for Beginners"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started