Mountain Project Logo

Road conditions to the Homestead?

Original Post
Fan Y · · Bishop/Las Vegas · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 1,093

Hi we are visiting climbers hoping to check out the Homestead. Can anyone give an update on the dirt road access to the camping? thank you!

Tim Heid · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined May 2009 · Points: 2,520

We were out there around the 1st-- There's one section of the road (the usual challenge spot) about 500 m from the road, was more than we would attempt in our AWD Subaru. We parked a few hundred yards in from the road at a pulloff/campsite, and hiked the rest of the way. This took about 75-90 mins to get to Tufa City.

If you can get past the hard spot the rest would be cake, but I think you need some clearance to do it.

Eric Berghorn · · Calistoga,CA · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 968
Is it possible to bypass or surmount the above- mentioned road crux (500m from entrance) on a motorcycle ? (Suzuki DL 650) Or is this a bad idea? Is there anyone who regularly accesses the upper campground area on a motorcycle? Just wondering...I’ve read everything about the 4x4 only, high clearance, etc. but have not seen this mentioned anywhere. Thanks.
Fan Y · · Bishop/Las Vegas · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 1,093

Thanks Tim for the info.
Eric, I personally wouldn't take anything non-offroading on that road. Patches of the road were in very rough conditions. My car is an Isuzu Rodeo and we did the hike-in. After stashing our rope and draws at the crag, it was under an hour for us to get to Tufa city (the farthest sector).

Kyle Smith · · Southern Nevada · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 2,263

I wouldn't take a street motorcycle on the road, but one made for off-roading would probably be fine. I would be skeptical taking a large truck on the road but shorter wheelbase vehicles with 4WD and clearance would be best.

​Don't forgot to donate to the Access Fund to maintain access to the Homestead!​​​

Eric Berghorn · · Calistoga,CA · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 968

Thanks for the input. I’ve looked at the images of the tough section of road and it’s not completely clear how steep, long, or rutted it is... I’m considering road tripping through Az. next month on the Suzuki and while I’ve brought this motorcycle off-road into many areas where no vehicle could manage it does look risky on that section.

Kyle Smith · · Southern Nevada · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 2,263
Eric Berghorn wrote: Thanks for the input. I’ve looked at the images of the tough section of road and it’s not completely clear how steep, long, or rutted it is... I’m considering road tripping through Az. next month on the Suzuki and while I’ve brought this motorcycle off-road into many areas where no vehicle could manage it does look risky on that section.

I'd say go for it. The worst section is somewhat uphill and maybe 50 feet long at most and there's definitely a wide enough path for a dual sport. I don't have any experience with motorcycles but an off-road course made for a dirtbike/dual sport would be significantly worse than the small section of crappy road on the way to the Homestead. The climbing is certainly worth the effort!

Eric Berghorn · · Calistoga,CA · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 968

Thanks Kyle. I have options with a partner meeting up who owns a Toyota Tacoma 4x4, etc. I guess what I’m looking for are testimonials from other climbers who may have already been getting up there regularly using a motorcycle. (insert cricket noise here now :)  The DL 650 weighs over 500 lbs loaded down and the margin for error is pretty thin for risking a tip-over on that slope! Not looking for an epic failure on that one !

David Stephens · · Superior AZ/Spokane WA · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 987

I did not notice any rough Parts on the road.  

Frank Stein · · Picayune, MS · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

We were there a few weeks ago, and a guy was there with one of those big adventure bikes. He struggled a little with the baby heads, but did fine in the 4wd section. Our stock Tacoma did just fine. 

wwwcochiseclimbing com · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 145

I have a RV with a KLR650 (400+pds)on the front. We use it for these sorts of approaches where the rv won't go. I would not ride tandem up the crux or with a big pack but the section is short and you could carry your pack up make a plan. Maybe move some loose rocks. If you are a competent rider it will be OK. The off-camber sections and deep ruts require 4x4 vehicles as they don't spin in the loose sections and destroy the road further.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Road conditions to the Homestead?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.