Mountain Project Logo

AC100+Gold bursting tube problem

Original Post
Dakota from North Dakota · · Golden, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 2,360

Anyone have problems with the 10oz AC100+Gold tubes bursting all over the plunger of the caulk gun? I've had this happen with brand new tubes in the first couple handfuls worth of pumps.

Variables:

-When this happens it does so without over excessive force. (no clogs, nozzle hasnt hardened up yet, etc)
-Working temps have never been less that 40° or over 90°
-Storage temps have never been below freezing
-Caulk gun is heavy duty, all purpose, and sized correctly for the tubes

Over the last few years I've had this problem only 2-3 times, but when it does happen its a real mess and a huuuge pain in the ass. I'd be really happy to hear if anyone has a reliable way to avoid this problem!

Past User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,069

What caulk gun are you using?

Kristen Fiore · · Burlington, VT · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 3,378

I've had it happen once and was immediately able to figure out why. Maybe the same happened to you?

On the back of the tube there is a black piece of plastic that looks like it's just to protect the inside contents. One of them once broke out in my trunk and I didn't think anything of it and threw it away. A few months later, when I went to use the glue though, it mostly pushed out one of the parts of the glue and felt tight. After pushing a few more times it burst all over the place. Upon inspection, it was missing the black backing. It seems like it is actually used to press the insides smoothly and evenly. I haven't had it happen since and I have noticed other tubes of mine with the piece broken out from transit in my trunk and I've just pulled out an old backing piece and used it fine.

Maybe check and see if this was the issue or if this rings a bell?

https://goo.gl/images/KzPt85 <-----photo that shows the black piece I'm talking about.

Hope this helps!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-9-in-Heavy-Duty-Professional-Caulk-Gun-HD138C/203788478

Kris,

Although this time I was able to find that very black piece at the bottom of my bag, I've never noticed an extra one before. I will be so psyched if it this is the problem and its just that simple!

I've used that model too without trouble, but in the past I too have experienced blowouts as you describe. I always guessed the blame would be on the caulking gun... Like the plunger was pehaps not applying even and consistent force...even those home Depot professional brands aren't really that high of quality or that professional. Pehaps try a better caulking gun?

You could have had some bad tubes of glue too I suppose?...bummer though! That stuff is stinky and messy!

Good Luck!

amleo.com/srw-18-1-thrust-r…;mkwid=seFWN42fZ|dm&pcrid=252706014664&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&prd=CG04,CG04&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=cpc&slid=&pgrid=55954919727&ptaid=pla-300887573658&gclid=CjwKCAiAyrXiBRAjEiwATI95mfM0xazmfmd4Vdm6mZ4ml1-2TUmslxtuqRB9fA_bbhLRYhL4OocDTRoCFWkQAvD_BwE
Kristen Fiore · · Burlington, VT · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 3,378
Dakota from North Dakota wrote: Kris,

Although this time I was able to find that very black piece at the bottom of my bag, I've never noticed an extra one before. I will be so psyched if it this is the problem and its just that simple!

Yeah man! If you found that black piece at the bottom of your bag I'd bet you anything that's your problem! Check in in a few years and let me know if it ever happens again. haha

Kris Fiore wrote:

Yeah man! If you found that black piece at the bottom of your bag I'd bet you anything that's your problem! Check in in a few years and let me know if it ever happens again. haha

Haha will do!

Bobby Hutton · · Grizzly Flat, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,153

I have had this problem when using tubes a second time. There are white plastic strips that are exposed when the tube is less than full. If the plunger grabs one or more of these it can screw up the angle if the black spacer and cause the seal in the tube to break and the contacts to leak backwards. 

Chris Vinson · · Austin, TX · Joined May 2009 · Points: 0

It's the caulk gun.  

The Powers/Dewalt model is a quick fix:  http://www.powers.com/product_8437.php

Chris Vinson wrote: It's the caulk gun.  

The Powers/Dewalt model is a quick fix:  http://www.powers.com/product_8437.php

I'm open to trying this, but what about this specific gun will help fix the problem?

The Morse-Bradys · · Lander, WY · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 4,689

This happened to me once.  The back of the tube got snagged on the edge of adhesive dispenser.  AC100 tubes do not fit in the 3m adhesive dispenser very well.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "AC100+Gold bursting tube problem"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started