Mountain Project Logo

Long approach pack

Original Post
Eric Danner · · SUPERIOR to Boulder · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

Currently using the Trango crag pack. My back hurts.

I am looking for a pack that can carry a 70m rope ,a single rack, shoes and what not for an hour plus approach. Been thinking about getting something meant for Back packing...

What are people using for those long approaches? 
Thanks! 
Cron · · Maine / NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 60

I like the BD creek 50

Eric Danner · · SUPERIOR to Boulder · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0
Cron wrote: I like the BD creek 50

.....The only thing I found useful about this pack was rolling it down a hill towards my car. 

Andy Burt · · Sugar Hill, GA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

Gregory Zulu 55

Short Fall Sean · · Bishop, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 7

Don't listen to all the climbing-specific, "I fit 6 ropes in my 30 liter", alpine pack for cragging, pack-with-a-built-in-stick-clip nonsense. Buy a big ass backpacking pack with a solid frame, and you're good to go.

Sean O · · Chatt · Joined May 2016 · Points: 556

Osprey aether 60 is Absolutely an amazing pack. I was having the same issue with long approaches until now. The pack comfortably holds 40-50lbs no problem. The Atmos is also really good for loads in the 35-40lbs range. Fully loaded I can barely tell I'm carrying anything at all. Also, the brain turns into a sweet day pack that I take with me snowboarding and on smaller hikes. These packs are commonly 25% off but completely worth it even at full price.

Eric Danner · · SUPERIOR to Boulder · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0
Sean Onasch wrote The Atmos is also really good for loads in the 35-40lbs range. Fully loaded I can barely tell I'm carrying anything at all. Also, the brain turns into a sweet day pack that I take with me snowboarding and on smaller hikes. These packs are commonly 25% off but completely worth it even at full price.

I was looking at the Atmos 50. The zulu 55 might be what I go with. Since you can open the whole bag seems easier to take rope in and out. 

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

Creek 35 (definitely big enough) is a giant open cavernous main compartment built out of invincible fabric. Full size zip to dump your stuff out, a burly internal aluminum frame that holds a stupid amount of weight, and comfy /supportive hip belt. No frills, just burly goodness

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

But if you want something for a super long approach, some of the old school, over-padded Gregory or osprey packs are great. They're kinda heavy but you can find them on the cheap at used gear shops and really haul like your wouldn't believe

Beean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Caleb Schwarz wrote: But if you want something for a super long approach, some of the old school, over-padded Gregory or osprey packs are great. They're kinda heavy but you can find them on the cheap at used gear shops and really haul like your wouldn't believe

Yah if it's for cragging weight isn't really an issue.


Deuter are stupid comfortable too.

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120
Beean wrote:

Deuter are stupid comfortable too.

+1

Leliko Mana · · On the road in US · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 45

I bought Patagonia Cragsmith 45L bag (even though it's not specifically for women) and have been very impressed with it for a single-pitch climbing. It opens in the back as a good climbing crag pack should, and holds everything comfortably. It was $200 but most Gregory packs that people recommend here don't cost any less so you might want to look into it. Oh and since the local Patagonia store only carried black color, they ordered dolomite blue one for me and I got it shipped home super fast for free.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

I have an Alpinisto 35 as well. I don't need a pack for every purpose and this fills many niches. But if I had it to do again I'd absolutely get the Alpinisto 50. I would probably rarely fill it but when you're cragging you're packing and unpacking and it all goes much smoother if your pack is bigger than needed.  Also, the 35 doesnt have a floating lid and the 50 does.

ToDoubleD Whitney · · Aptos, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 30

I dig my BD Creek 35. When taking my older friends I’ll carry everything except their basic gear. I fit a double rack, gallon of water, food, first aide, anchor gear, etc... my only complaint is the lack of load lifters. 

EWilliams · · Truckee, CA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 40

CiloGear

Robert Rowsam · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 230
Eric Danner wrote:

.....The only thing I found useful about this pack was rolling it down a hill towards my car. 

What didn't you like?

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Cilogear is wasted money just to carry gear for single pitch climbing, also probably not as comfortable to be honest.
While a lot of people are recommending bigger packs, I personally find that it’s more comfortable to carry a pack more in the size range of your intended load. Having everything sit in the bottom of a big pack away from your body is less pleasant than higher up and compressed close to your body, most good packs you can compress down to small enough, but it’s annoying to have to arrange everything right so it compresses things where you want the weight and then have to undo the straps to get gear out, redo them to hike back etc. Used to use a 50l backpack for gear, now use an osprey mutant 28L (also overkill for your current needs) and it feels like the weight is cut in half on my back. I’d go with something in the 30-40L range. 

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 301

Almost all climbing in my area is more than an hour of hiking with minimal trails.  For longish approaches both comfort and weight are important.

I have been using a Black Diamond Speed 40 for quite a while.  It will easily hold all you listed although you should split the load with your partner.  Someone carries the rope the other carries the rack.  You should be able to get along with 30 liter pack if you split the load.  40 liters is big enough for the rope and rack without putting anything on the outside of the pack.  

My buying criteria include:  The pack must fit reasonable well, have enough support and padding to prevent hard/sharp items poking you in the back,  transfer most of the load to the hips, floating top pocket (which allows you to expand the effective volume of the pack) and lightweight.

Jared Chrysostom · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

Osprey Mutant. The 28 holds a single rack, extra clothing, shoes, food and water, with helmet and rope strapped securely on the outside. 

Eric Danner · · SUPERIOR to Boulder · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0
Robert Rowsam wrote:

What didn't you like?

On long uphill approaches for an hour plus this thing kills my back. Yes. It was nice to put things in an out of since it is basically a black hole. I actually will only use this bag if I am sport climbing with a sub 10 minute approach. 
Eric Danner · · SUPERIOR to Boulder · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0
climber pat wrote: Almost all climbing in my area is more than an hour of hiking with minimal trails.

I have been using a Black Diamond Speed 40 for quite a while.  It will easily hold all you listed although you should split the load with your partner.  Someone carries the rope the other carries the rack.  You should be able to get along with 30 liter pack if you split the load.  40 liters is big enough for the rope and rack without putting anything on the outside of the pack.  
This is super helpful thanks. 
What about jacket(down or rain shell), food and water. Have you expirienced 40 liters being enough? 
The pack I use now is 48L and it feels like I am always trying to cram something. 
But i would preffer not getting something to large. 
We usually will split the load. Sometime that load consist of another rope usually a twin rope and another rack.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Long approach pack"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.