Mountain Project Logo

CLIMBING HOLDS

Original Post
Raymond Moreno · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 140

Hey, folks...sorry if this is not the right place to ask. But I wanted to purchase Climbing holds in the NorCal area. 

Specifically in the Sacraneto metro area. (I’m in Roseville).

Im building a home climbing wall, and am looking for local “climbing hold” makers who I can swing by to check out their holds...and also patronize locally. 

If anyone has leads or links to local climbing hold makers, could you please let me know. 

Thanks!

Jesse Scarborough · · Menlo Park, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 85

Check out Tahoe Gripworks. He does shoe resoles and real-rock holds. 

Andrew Child · · Corvallis, Or · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 1,505

The Studio in San Jose sells their old holds

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 95

Pipe works in Sac makes their own holds and use to sell some of their used holds pretty cheep. Not sure if they are still doing that or not. 

Thanks. 

I’ll check the Tahoe place soon. 

I’m a member at Pipeworks, so I’ll ask them the next time I’m there. 

Getting close to the time where I’ll be needing those holds.  

Wall is done. 

An aggressive 55° angle  

I’m searching for holds now.

Johnny B · · Belmont, CA · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 41

Nice work, Raymond! Put up a few more pics when you have them. I'm hoping to do something like this myself, and this is inspiring. All I've managed so far is to put up a few holds and a hangboard on some exposed joists under my driveway, which means we can only campus and hangboard...

I bought my holds from Teknik and Atomic.

Daniel Howe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Nice build you got there Raymond. Love to see more as it progresses

Thanks, folks. 

Come to find out that my home gym, Sac Pipeworks, used to have a company that made holds. (Got the tip from a previous poster). 

The company has now dissolved, but they still have bins and bins full of holds left over. And they still make them for Pipeworks on demand. 

Long story short, they sell them at super discounted prices, and are sold by the pound. 

And the best part?

They let you rummage through tons of bins to pick out the specific holds you want. (I got 50 pounds worth).

No ordering “hold packs” and getting stuck with something you don’t want, or cannot use. 

My wall is at exactly a 55° angle, so there were a bunch of holds that would have been useless to me. 

This way I got to choose exactly what i wanted. 

In closing, the routesetter was super cool, and taught me a lot about choosing holds, what to look for, how to set them, screw lengths, etc...

I’m not in a giant rush now, as I hit the weights hard the other day, ran 10 miles during the weekend, and bouldered aggressively for two days straight. 

My body is in recovery-mode at the moment. 

Bolts are ordered, and I invited a climbing bud to come over and help me set a few different routes. 

I’ll post a few photos when I’m done. 

Still gotta get some colored climbing tape as well...to mark the routes. 

Johnny B wrote:

Nice work, Raymond! Put up a few more pics when you have them. I'm hoping to do something like this myself, and this is inspiring. All I've managed so far is to put up a few holds and a hangboard on some exposed joists under my driveway, which means we can only campus and hangboard...

I bought my holds from Teknik and Atomic.

I noticed you were from Belmont.

I just moved to Roseville 1 year ago. 

But I lived in Millbrae for 15 years. 

Planet Granite, Belmont, was my home gym. 

I know most of the folks there. 

Just posting a follow-up.

The wall is done. Rock solid. 

Tweeking routes here and there as needed. 

Climbing-Fu is predicted to get much stronger soon.

Nate Tastic wrote: How much did you pay per pound? 

They charge $3.00 per pound. 

There are tricks to keeping the weight down. 
Knowing someone can also save you a few dollars. 
And there are a few other things to save you money...if you are a member.  
Nuff said.

O-Tay, folks...here is my updated and last post.

My climbing wall is now done. (With maybe a new hold purchased, here and there, to keep it fresh).

I wanted to point out a few very specific things I did for redundancy and safety’s sake.

And let me preface by saying that the original build plans are rock solid. I used 2x6 wood, and beefy 3/4” ACX plywood.

There are 5” SPAX screws onto all wall and ceiling studs and joists, and I used joist hangers on every 2x6 joist. 

My redundancy?

Notice on the top 2x6 hanger. I knew that the hanging, jumping, and swinging, would create a tremendous amount of outward and downward pull on the plywood face. So I added an extra 2x4 in FRONT of the 2x6 for reinforcement. (And the 2x4 was also anchored into the ceiling joists).

I also took a peek behind the bouldering wall of my local climbing gym. They had metal bars criss-crossing everywhere to reinforce the walls.

Hmmm...

So I added 4 extra metal bars, and used high-grade anchor screws to attach them to the 2x6 climbing wall studs, and my garage wall studs.

All I can say is that my Man-Cave climbing wall is rock solid (pun intended), and I have no worries about letting the heaviest climber in my wall.

Zero flex on the plywood.

I also purchased a few 1” inch rolls of fluorescent, cloth, “gaffers tape” to mark the routes I am working on.

Look closely and you will see two of my routes.

Anyhoo...that’s the rest of the story.

I won’t be posting here any more, as it’s starting to feel like I’m tooting my own horn. (Which I am not. I initially needed help looking for climbing holds. And then it morphed into just wanted to share some thoughts and ideas for those interested in designing/building a climbing wall).

Summer is around the corner.

Crush all things vertical. 

Ximena Ramos · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0
Raymond Moreno wrote:

Thanks, folks. 

Come to find out that my home gym, Sac Pipeworks, used to have a company that made holds. (Got the tip from a previous poster). 

The company has now dissolved, but they still have bins and bins full of holds left over. And they still make them for Pipeworks on demand. 

Long story short, they sell them at super discounted prices, and are sold by the pound. 

And the best part?

They let you rummage through tons of bins to pick out the specific holds you want. (I got 50 pounds worth).

No ordering “hold packs” and getting stuck with something you don’t want, or cannot use. 

My wall is at exactly a 55° angle, so there were a bunch of holds that would have been useless to me. 

This way I got to choose exactly what i wanted. 

In closing, the routesetter was super cool, and taught me a lot about choosing holds, what to look for, how to set them, screw lengths, etc...

I’m not in a giant rush now, as I hit the weights hard the other day, ran 10 miles during the weekend, and bouldered aggressively for two days straight. 

My body is in recovery-mode at the moment. 

Bolts are ordered, and I invited a climbing bud to come over and help me set a few different routes. 

I’ll post a few photos when I’m done. 

Still gotta get some colored climbing tape as well...to mark the routes. 

Is this still the case? I'm a poor kid that loves climbing and its been a total pain trying to find climbing holds for this rock climbing wall that we got for free in Atherton, CA. I'm almost done restoring it, but its useless without holds.

Unless they changed something since April 2018 (See post dates), it’s still good. 

Dan Knisell · · MA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 6,367

Thread drift so my apologies. (Wall looks awesome Raymond!!)  Has anyone had luck with real rock holds?  I’ve made a few with a friend but have yet to try them out on his woody. I’m talking solid New England granite and a few chunks of quartzite.

Ben Toulouse · · Paris, FR · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

A Nice wall.
Do not forget also buy new climbing holds with moderns shapes. It helps me to progress and sensation is amazing. My favourite holds are from Expression holds (not very expensive, with a good shape).
This is a European brand, and they are very good quality. Of course, all my wall is not only with them but let say 35% of the wall.

My favourite is their "impulse" collection. Look for example this one: https://climbingholds.shop/shop/brands/expression-holds/impulse-xxl-1-pe/ it's very good sloper and not expensive.

Do you plan also to use wooden holds? It's a nice sensation and also good for training.

Not doing anything else to it at the moment. (No wood holds).

Holds are expensive.

It was supposed to be a “budget” incline wall, so I wanted a solid wall with good, inexpensive, holds. 
Well, maybe not inexpensive. But I wanted bargain prices...if possible. 
I might purchase a few holds here and there in the future. But for now, it is serving its purpose. 

I am setting and marking routes that I find myself weak at, and am working on those. 

It has definitely made me stronger. 

Scott Schiller · · Davis, CA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Rocknasium in Davis has used holds for sale.

Hamish Hamish · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

Raymond - wall looks really nice.  What are the dimensions on it, and is that an 8’ ceiling or higher?  Just trying to get some ideas for my own home wall...

The wood used are two pieces of 4’x8’ pieces of ATX plywood.

I cut a 8’ foot by 13” inch piece from one of the latter pieces of ATX plywood for the footboard.

I don’t know the height of my ceiling...but it didn’t teally matter, as the angle is the important part.

I went to my local climbing gym and realized that a 45° angle was too aggressive for my garage, and routine practices. So I made mine with a 55° angle.

Once you have your angles, then just cut the wood to fit whatever height you need.

In my personal opinion, I didn’t need a “wide” climbing area.

I preferred a “thinner” (8’ foot) climbing area. Moving around the holds was more important than having more climbing area.

Just my personal preference. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "CLIMBING HOLDS"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started