Mountain Project Logo

Baby rock climbing?!

Original Post
Madison Winter · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Hi! My 2 year old started climbing at our local rock gym & I can’t find shoes that work for her. Unfortunately she’s not allowed to go barefoot there and the smallest rock climbing shoes are a 9/10. I’ve heard that water shoes might work? Basically I’m looking for a pair of regular shoes that would be good for rock climbing. She’s a size 6/7 toddler.

Thanks! 

Abram Herman · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 20

If she's not climbing in Solutions, is she even really climbing?? 

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781

Water shoes, especially those that fit like socks, have worked well for some. My kids preferred climbing in tennis shoes until 4 or 5. My four year old still favors his approach shoes over climbing shoes.

Brett Merlin · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 25

We found some regular slippers for our daughter and then took some of the old 5.10 stealth paint to the soles. They worked really well until she got big enough for some of the smaller Sportiva shoes.

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

Our daughter climbed in boots until she was 7, then we bought her shoes that were 3x too big. We were broke as can be back then, but she did just fine.

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

FWIW as your child grows do the conversion from kids sizes to womens/mens to get great deals on shoes for kids. 

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880
Abram Herman wrote: If she's not climbing in Solutions, is she even really climbing?? 

Savage A F. 

Bravo.

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

Just had the last kid move out, so I am at the other end of your trail.
If I could make a suggestion for all the parents here, you all should set up a kid gear sharing network. Once you actually start with climbing shoes, you'll see that if they get 4 months in a size you're lucky. I have repurposed most of my daughters old shoes and small harnesses to friends, but it actually took some effort.
Not really sure when accurate footwork comes into play, but 2 probably isn't it.

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

Tc pros, but resoled with c4 rubber

Neil L · · Casper, wy · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1

I clicked on this thread thinking it was about bouldering, what a pleasant surprise. 

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Old Lady H
Sneakers, really cheap ones at that, did just fine for me, in my first shots at it!

Get something that doesn't flop around on her foot, and make sure the straps, laces, etc are going to stay secure and not hang up on anything. And second getting a group of parents to swap with. We have a great used gear shop here, but not every place is that lucky.

Oh. And running shoes for the parents. I have a feeling you'll need to be sprinting to keep up, with this one! 

Best, Helen
Andrew Spratt · · Cache Valley, UT · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 94

I've seen a few young kids (2-5) wearing water shoes in the gym. Very rubbery, cheap to replace as their feet grow

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

Water shoes is what we used. Just because we had them around, as most kids do these days.

I wouldn't rush out to buy anything though. She climbed in SOMETHING when she tried climbing, right? Why not just keep wearing the same thing until she outgrows that in couple of months? For all you know she would lose interest by then. Or not.

Aaron Hope · · San Luis Obispo · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 346

Kids Natives work well for my kids. This is kind of in-line with the watershoes others have mentioned, but they're general sneakers with lots of sticky rubber.

Bendon Arthar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

How much does it cost for a pair?

Dante L · · Seattle · Joined May 2015 · Points: 15

Mad Rock Monkeys are the smallest climbing shoe made

Bendon Arthar · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Are they available for small kids?

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Stickit or evolv momentum are fine and have fair price points. Let’s face it, toddlers just learned to walk not long ago they aren’t going to toe in to a foot chip on that pink one in the corner.

Brett Millard · · Kelowna, BC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10
bognish · · Sandy, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 0

My kids use sandals that have the rubber/sole come up over the toes. Something like a pair of kids keens sandals. Most kids routes have pretty big footholds. Its working so far with my 10 year old up to 5.10 in the gym and 5.8 outside. She doesn't climb that frequently so she would probably only get 1 or 2 uses out of a climbing specific shoe before she outgrew it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Baby rock climbing?!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started