Mountain Project Logo

Female Specific Helmet

Original Post
E J · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 10

So the only female specific helmet I've been able to find is the Petzl Elia, and I didn't like the way it felt/fit.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a different helmet?  Or do I just need to start wearing my hair in a braid instead of a ponytail?

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
Erica J wrote: So the only female specific helmet I've been able to find is the Petzl Elia, and I didn't like the way it felt/fit.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a different helmet?  Or do I just need to start wearing my hair in a braid instead of a ponytail?

Some of my female partners have had luck with the BD Half Dome and my wife has worn a ponytail with it - there is a decent amount of room between the top/back of the helmet and the back adjustment strap that it fit through. Plus it's really cheap. Most helmets are unisex, so its probably more about head shape than anything else.

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781
grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Black Diamond just came out with two women specific helmet's - Half dome (womens version) and Vector (womens version). I remember seeing an ad about them that they were designed with pony-tails in mind. 

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-helmets

I personally prefer halfdome over vector - the vector takes dings and dents really easily and after some use looks really beat up. I have several half domes and they have stood the test of time. 

Anne McLaughlin · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 201

I have the Petzl Meteor and it works great with a low ponytail. The fit is good, and it's not expensive. BUT... the clasp has a magnet which I hate. Heaven forbid you forget it's there and put your helmet down on the ground near granite cliffs. It picks up every bit of iron in the soil and then either (1) won't close, (2) seems to close but then pops open at an inopportune time, or (3) closes and gets stuck on your head. (One day at Lover's Leap I thought I was going to have to eat dinner and sleep in that helmet.)

So I have a lot of complaints. That said, when it came time to buy a new one... I bought it again because the fit was so good.

Morty Gwin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

I don't like the pony tail helmet because WHY would a helmet not cover the occiput. Brain stem is everything. Every unisex helmet is designed this way. I asked Petzyl about this and the person who answered gave me a vague non answer.  Since I've had some gnarly falls that put the back of my head at risk I will not use a "ponytail" helmet because of that cutout.

Tavish Hansen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 840

I'm a guy, but I have long hair that I put into a low man bun.  I can fit it with a mammut wall rider between the edge of the of the foam and the strap system.

Rox · · Squamish, BC · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 15

I have worn both the BD vector & vapor with a pony tail and just pull it through the straps in the back. It's not a high pony tail, but it works to keep my hair off my neck in the heat. 

Tricia D · · WV · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 12

I'll second Rox's comment about making a lower pony tail work with the BD Vector. I would not recommend the camp ladies' helmet which was my first helmet - the vector is a million times better in terms of comfort and protection.

D F · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 406

The Grivel Stealth HS can accommodate a pony tail very well because of the way the straps are set up. If your head is smaller than average, though, it might not be the most ideal choice

http://www.grivel.com/products/rock/helmets/19-stealth_hs_white?lang=ru

Danielle Aronson · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 10

Two words... badass pigtails. Compatible with every helmet every day of the week.

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781
Danielle Aronson wrote: Two words... badass pigtails. Compatible with every helmet every day of the week.

Just watch the pigtails getting too close to your belay/rappel device! (speaking from painful personal experience)

Jordan Day · · Highland, UT · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 3
I don't like the pony tail helmet because WHY would a helmet not cover the occiput. Brain stem is everything. Every unisex helmet is designed this way. I asked Petzyl about this and the person who answered gave me a vague non answer.  Since I've had some gnarly falls that put the back of my head at risk I will not use a "ponytail" helmet because of that cutout.

Have to agree with this comment.  How about a "low ponytail" gathered below the helmet line?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Women's Forum
Post a Reply to "Female Specific Helmet"

There is ZERO tolerance for being a jerk in the Women's Forum.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.