Mountain Project Logo

La Sportiva G2 SM. Any input

Sterling Falconer · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Peter Boudreau wrote: I just got back from Banff, and used the G2 SM the entire time (exception of heading down from the hut).  Everyone else had leather boots (lowa, scarpas) and they did fine.  I was warm the entire time, and was pleased to not have to stop on gaiters over top of my boot.  Almost too warm for the conditions I was in, but while some people - very minor - were complaining about cold feet I had the ideal temp the entire time.  

The plastic ankle issue that's been mentioned has gone away mostly after "breaking in" the boots, and although it's still noticeable it isn't a detriment to the adventure.  I had an amazing time, and I think the boots are part of the reason I had so much fun.  They are insanely light, and wearing almost knee high socks (one pair) worked well for me since I was having some chaffing on my shins.  

Overall, extremely impressed, and looking forward to giving them a test run around the white mountains this winter as well.

How warm was it in banff lately?

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505
Sterling Falconer wrote:

How warm was it in banff lately?

Rain rain and more god damn rain. Temp can be anywhere from just above freezing to way too god damn hot and change in about 3 seconds. But such is life in the Canadian rockies.

Kevin Mcbride wrote:

Rain rain and more god damn rain. Temp can be anywhere from just above freezing to way too god damn hot and change in about 3 seconds. But such is life in the Canadian rockies.

I know everyone’s feet is different but was just curious what the highest temperature for the g2 would be tolerable.  

Sterling Falconer wrote:

I know everyone’s feet is different but was just curious what the highest temperature for the g2 would be tolerable.  

Unless your climbing robson, I'd leave the g2's at home. They would be extremely hot.

Kevin Mcbride wrote:

Unless your climbing robson, I'd leave the g2's at home. They would be extremely hot.

Got it. So anything above 32F/0C is too hot for the G2's lol

Sterling Falconer wrote:

Got it. So anything above 32F/0C is too hot for the G2's lol

In my experience anything above -10 is ridiculous in g2's 

Fergus Kane · · Quito · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0
AlpineIce wrote:

Which is the before & which is the after photo?

So, it's just a rotation of the guide.  The left image is the guide rotated so that it causes the least pinching (at least as felt trying it in the house!).

Glad to hear from Peter that there may also be some extra breaking in to look forward to!

Fergus Kane · · Quito · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0
Kevin Mcbride wrote:

In my experience anything above -10 is ridiculous in g2's 

I've got bad circulation and once my hands/feet have got cold they never seem to warm up again!   I've used them starting around +5 / 10 C and getting down to what I guess was -20C on a night climb to 5700m (Cotapaxi is 5900, but we got stuck).  Great for the cold, a bit too warm as the sun comes out, but that's ok.

Peter Boudreau · · Dover, NH · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I agree and disagree with others.  My boots were overkill when I was in banff, but while some people were complaining about cold feet, I wasn't at all, ever.  While it was -5 to + 5 C where I was, I was still walking through 2 feet of snow and didn't have to worry about boots getting wet or cold the entire time.  

I'll have to take a look at the rotation that Fergus mentioned...but for the weight and warmth factor I'm super happy with my purchase.  To agree with others these boots are likely overkill when it isn't below zero temps.  It comes down to personal preference unfortunately in some cases, and at $800 I can understand starting out with a cheaper pair of boots and working your way up.

I'm not upset with my boots at all, but might have to look for a boot that's less "intense"  if there is more trail than snow and the temp doesn't justify them. La sportiva is likely the brand to go with.  

Oh as an aside, it could just be mental, but having mine heat molded was a game changer!  The boots definitely started to feel better afterwards, so i'd recommend having that done. 

Charlie Ware · · Albuquerque · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 0

HI.....it's a long story but I have a pair of NEW in the BOX, 44.5 G2SM's that I want to sell.  Never worn.  I originally purchased them from La Sportiva when they first came out.  

A trip I had planned was cancelled so I did not use them.  Then when I had a chance to try on some demos at the Ouray Ice Fest I realized 44 would have been better.  I tried to get them to just trade me, but no go.  So I ended up buying a pair of 44's which I have used many times.

I am probably going to post them on Gear Trade for $650 with $25 shipping.  Anyone here interested?

Thanks

Thomas G. · · SLC, UT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 195
I took the G2's up Liberty Ridge in May of this year. Having read one too many accounts of people losing their toes to crazy storms, I was overly paranoid - plus, the G2's were both lighter and stiffer than my Batura Evos. Turns out - we had crazy warm temps the entire time. The coldest it ever got was around 20F on the summit, and most of the climb up + the way back down it was around 30-45F, with spells even warmer.

My experience with the G2s is that while they were clearly overkill, my feet were only overheating at the very end of the trip - basically from camp Schurman down. Even then, it wasn't awful - no serious blisters, etc.

Honestly, if I went up to do Rainier again and I knew that I would have the exact same conditions, I'd take them without hesitation.

YMMV.
Thomas G. wrote: I took the G2's up Liberty Ridge in May of this year. Having read one too many accounts of people losing their toes to crazy storms, I was overly paranoid - plus, the G2's were both lighter and stiffer than my Batura Evos. Turns out - we had crazy warm temps the entire time. The coldest it ever got was around 20F on the summit, and most of the climb up + the way back down it was around 30-45F, with spells even warmer.

My experience with the G2s is that while they were clearly overkill, my feet were only overheating at the very end of the trip - basically from camp Schurman down. Even then, it wasn't awful - no serious blisters, etc.

Honestly, if I went up to do Rainier again and I knew that I would have the exact same conditions, I'd take them without hesitation.

YMMV.

Were you wearing single or double socks?

Were you wearing single or double socks?
Single pair of ultrathin ski socks. I wouldn't ever wear a thicker sock with the G2SM's. So warm. 

Another idea is to buy a different liner for warmer weather

Another idea is to buy a different liner for warmer weather
I love the stock liners - I think it's one of the best liners I've ever had in a boot. I had them baked and I added my own custom insoles, and I don't have any of the instep pain that some users report. With a pair of ezeefit ankle booties, I have no heel lift whatsoever, and the boots just climb well.

Thin socks is the ticket for me. I reckon these boots (with just a Darn Tough ski sock) would be good to under -10F.
akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

So what are people’s thoughts on the boots durability?  More durable than spantiks?  Better to go with the acrux’s if your concerned about durability?

I’ll be using these primarily for multi pitch cold as crap days and high mountains.  These overkill for alpamayo?  

akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225
Thomas G. wrote: I love the stock liners - I think it's one of the best liners I've ever had in a boot. I had them baked and I added my own custom insoles, and I don't have any of the instep pain that some users report. With a pair of ezeefit ankle booties, I have no heel lift whatsoever, and the boots just climb well.

Thin socks is the ticket for me. I reckon these boots (with just a Darn Tough ski sock) would be good to under -10F.

I hope these are good for well below -10.  I climb in my Nepal’s in -10f on a pretty regular basis.  

Thomas G. wrote: I love the stock liners - I think it's one of the best liners I've ever had in a boot. I had them baked and I added my own custom insoles, and I don't have any of the instep pain that some users report. With a pair of ezeefit ankle booties, I have no heel lift whatsoever, and the boots just climb well.

I'm guessing you have the 3mm ezeefit?

Sterling Falconer wrote:

I'm guessing you have the 3mm ezeefit?

I got the 2mm, which worked perfectly for me. A buddy of mine uses the 3mm and they work well for him. Super comfy, I forget that I even have them on.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

What kind of insoles are you guys using in your G2SMs?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "La Sportiva G2 SM. Any input"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started