Mountain Project Logo

Kailas Ice Gear

Original Post
Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507

Anyone have opinions or experience with the Kailas ice tools and screws?

The Dagger looks a little like a Quark.

Casey Elliott · · Salt Lake City · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 780

Eli, I am a rep for Kailas and here is a review from an anonymous pro ice climber on our axes.

Gear review Enthos 2

Head to toe aluminum with a hollowed-out design, the Ethos 2 had already caught my eye. They looked like no other tool on the major market. It was clear to me with its aggressive shaft angle the tool was designed for steep ice. I was curious to swing these bad boys and put them to the test.

WEIGHT: The tool was extremely light, which I prefer. I like to think I climb with more finesse than blunt force, so I appreciate a light tool. Less weight, less work. To make sure the light tool can still drive the pick through Ice Kailas has designed a removable pick weight for the head. I thought The swing (with pick weight) was remarkably smooth and drove into the ice wonderfully, instead of shattering or blowing out the ice. Without the pick weight I still enjoyed the angle and precision of my swing, I just had to swing a few more times.

PICK: The profile on the pick is thin and slices through the ice like butter. It also appears to clean pretty dang well. I have a tendency to overdrive my tools and it appears to be smartly designed for easy removal. The angle of the tool/pick easily allows for climbing through bulges or “cauliflowers” on the ice and left plenty of room for my knuckles keeping them from getting bashed on wild formations.

HANDLE: The handle is small, which is great because my hands are not big. Its comparable to the size of a Petzl Nomic, which for smaller hands and women has been a HUGE selling point. If a handle is too big on an ice tool you can get fatigue way faster and ultimately will be a huge stressor on your ice climbing career. Nobody wants to be pumped from just holding their tool! The size of the Enthos handle fits in my hand like a dream. The handle is also covered in rubber which dampens the cold of the aluminum. My only complaint is that the bump point is not covered also. You can really feel the cold when the temperatures are harsh.

LEASH ATTATCHMENT: Finally, someone put the attachment point in the correct place, at the bottom! Thank you Kalias! It does not get in the way of my hands which believe it or not is a total issue of most ice climbing tools within the industry.

In conclusion I am very impressed with the swing and performance of this tool. For steep water Ice I believe it is one of the highest contending tools of the market, and with its solid aluminum design I can have peace of mind while placing my life on literally one piece of gear.

Slogger · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 80

Are the picks T rated?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Another review here:
http://www.peter-hoang.com/kailas-entheos-axe-review/

And $459 per tool? Yowsa!

Fan Y · · Bishop · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 878

How come the pro ice climber doesn't want his/her name associated with the review? They also look like a design copied and updated from e-climb ice tools, another spanish company like Totem. 

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507

Maybe they are just rebranded for Chinese distribution like totems are.

AThomas · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 25
Eli wrote: Maybe they are just rebranded for Chinese distribution like totems are.

They don't look that much like the e-climbs.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Kailas Ice Gear"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started