Mountain Project Logo

Fake Arcteryx on eBay (Gamma Lt)

Original Post
Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695

Just wanted to show the obvious signs that your new Arcteryx garment from eBay is fake. First thing I noticed was the.cuffs on the garment had zero stretch, so little that it wouldn't open enough to put my hand with a light glove through. Realizing there's no way Arc would make such a mistake in their design, I looked closer at the garment and noticed both of the dead bird emblems were absolutely awful in comparison to a legit one. Main things to look for: the stitching on the logo SHOULD BE reflective on most garments. This one was just normal "cotton" like stitching. The other signs are a crooked tail instead of a small wobble towards the base and then dead straight till the end. And lastly, the interior of the logo is just plain sloppy.

Hope this helps run these people off of eBay. Past year's pieces are the only way into Arcteryx for folks like me who don't have a ton of money, so I hope eBay continues to thrive in this area, but beware of the fraudsters like user Gregodeard who is currently still selling this piece. 

Kango L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
Ma Ja wrote:

Just wanted to show the obvious signs that your new Arcteryx garment from eBay is fake. First thing I noticed was the.cuffs on the garment had zero stretch, so little that it wouldn't open enough to put my hand with a light glove through. Realizing there's no way Arc would make such a mistake in their design, I looked closer at the garment and noticed both of the dead bird emblems were absolutely awful in comparison to a legit one. Main things to look for: the stitching on the logo SHOULD BE reflective on most garments. This one was just normal "cotton" like stitching. The other signs are a crooked tail instead of a small wobble towards the base and then dead straight till the end. And lastly, the interior of the logo is just plain sloppy.

Hope this helps run these people off of eBay. Past year's pieces are the only way into Arcteryx for folks like me who don't have a ton of money, so I hope eBay continues to thrive in this area, but beware of the fraudsters like user Gregodeard who is currently still selling this piece. 

No, there are many DB garments that use regular stitching for the logo.But yours is definitely a fake.

Spacey Hall · · Land of Enchossment · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

You got a picture of the neck tag? I feel like that is usually the dead give away on these.

Taco Land · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

I thought I'd chime in as I also purchased a fake Gamma LT from the great ebay seller Gregodeard. Taking the jacket out of the box it was immediately apparent to me that the jacket was fake. First clue was that the neck tag was only attached on one side. Others clues were poor embroidery and just plain sloppiness all over. 

To make matters worse, I opened a return request via ebay and the seller contacted me through email with an address to send the jacket back to. Like a dumbass I shipped the jacket back to the provided address and now the seller has opened a case with ebay saying he hasn't received the jacket because I sent it to the wrong address. So not only is this super awesome guy selling counterfeit Arc'teryx products on ebay, he is also trying to scam me out of having to refund my money. I have a case open with ebay, we'll see how it goes..

Wow those seams are terrible.

Yep, I gave eBay shit about allowing a seller to sell fakes and they claim they are investigating. So, hopefully with your case and mine, they will shut him down. I got a quick refund from the dude, but eBay set up the return directly. I told eBay I refused to contact the seller and they handled to whole thing.

Taco Land · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

I sent pictures (and a link to this thread) to Arc'teryx and they confirmed that the jacket was indeed fake. They said they were also going to contact ebay and try to get this guys account shut down. I noticed the seller has since removed all his fake Arc'teryx products from his listings. Also, I was finally able to get ebay to refund my money after providing them proof that the seller was trying to scam me. This was a bit of process since the proof I had was through private email and not through the official ebay message system. Props to ebay for their diligence in reviewing my case.

Glad to hear things worked out for you as well Ma Ja. 

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

I'm a sucker for a good deal, but I try not to buy this kind of stuff from ebay.

One time I was in the market for a Mountain Hardwear Absolute Zero parka.... cheap on ebay! Thing is, one of the sizes they were selling was XS, and MH never made an XS. I never ordered it to confirm it was fake.

The thought of getting out in some gnarly conditions though, only to figure out that your gear is counterfeit... yikes. Definitely people should be trying to confirm their used gear is legit, as you did.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I think one of the takeaways here is to never return obviously counterfeit goods to the seller. Because then you lose any proof that it's really counterfeit. eBay and Paypal are both really good about refunding buyer money in the case of fakes. And, yes, with a company like Arc or Patagonia you can contact them and they actively pursue counterfeiters.

I recently bought a Weber BBQ light on Ebay that looked perfect, even when I installed it. But one day my grill got a little warmer than usual and the light just MELTED. Clearly not a genuine Weber product. I posted a review describing what happened and that I believed the item was fake. The seller refunded my $$. 

Fargin Icehole · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Hello all.  I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to give a heads-up that your old buddy Gregodeard might be up to his old tricks again.  I haven't purchased any Arc'teryx items from him to confirm, but he's currently got a couple items listed "new with tags" for around half msrp. When I reached out to very politely inquire, he did not answer any of my questions but instead took a defensive tone. I replied back weeks later questioning why he didn't offer any reasons for the great prices (such as 2nds, discontinued colors, or whatever), and that this and the defensiveness seem like red flags.  Then I couldn't resist mentioning this thread about him.  A day later (today), I got a one-liner reply back from him saying "watch yourself."  Again, I have no evidence the stuff he's selling are fakes, but his recent feedback (all positive, of course) shows he's been selling a lot of NWT Arc'teryx jackets at almost to good to be true prices, so just beware!

Hope this serves to entertain as well as help prevent someone from possibly getting scammed.  Again, I have to make it clear that I have not purchased anything from this seller, so cannot say with any confidence that his stuff isn't now 100% authentic.  Given the attitude though, it seems unlikely.  The thread is in order of oldest-to-newest messages.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Don’t screw around with the seller it just makes them hide. Just send an email to eBay and the mfg. You might be surprised at what eBay and the mfg. can do if they want.

Thanks Allen, that's good advice.  I did already talk to eBay about the subtle(?) threatening replies, but not to Arc'teryx.  For all I know, he might be selling the real deal now, although it seems unlikely.  I have not, and will not, buy anything from him.  It sounds like others took their situations with him to eBay earlier this year, and although they got their money back, he's still actively selling.  Anyways, I just wanted to give people a heads-up that this person is still around, so beware.  Happy New Year

Tugrul P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 30

I am about to buy Arc’teryx from another person on eBay. Alpha comp hoody. I hope I get a real one . I checked the reviews of this person. They seem positive all.

bearded sam · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 145

You can report counterfeit Arc’teryx directly on their website. arcteryx.com/us/en/help/cou…

Solo 1001 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

I bought a Cerium LT Hoody off of ebay when feeling impulsive. I've contacted Arc'Teryx with photos but I realize sometimes they get bogged down and can take a bit to reply. I was curious if anyone here has thoughts. Or if anyone can tell me better areas to photograph. I've looked at the website for detecting counterfeits but my eye for this stuff isn't great. The zippers seem to be YKK and I can't tell a difference in the logo. The second picture is the zipper area near the hood and has some loose threading which is weird.  This might sound like a silly question but how smoothly is the jacket supposed to zip up? This one doesnt catch necessarily but the zipper feels extremely small and doesn't just unlatch like butter. That might just be nitpicky. If this is indeed counterfeit I want Arc'Teryx and Ebay to know about the user. Thanks for any feedback.

Don't take my word for it, but it looks like good quality from the pics you shared.  Either authentic or a really good counterfeit?!  I would think the former.  My and my wife's Proton LT jackets have small, similar looking zippers, and I am confident they are authentic because I bought them from legit retailers, not eBay.  

Solo 1001 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0
Fargin Icehole wrote: Don't take my word for it, but it looks like good quality from the pics you shared.  Either authentic or a really good counterfeit?!  I would think the former.  My and my wife's Proton LT jackets have small, similar looking zippers, and I am confident they are authentic because I bought them from legit retailers, not eBay.  

Thank you. I took a couple more pictures of the baffle seams and sent those into Arc'Teryx with my earlier pictures. They said most of the pics looked good but is probably counterfeit but a very good one. I went ahead and did a return and will get one from a legit source. Hard to fight the impulse to save money. I appreciate the input.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I have a great story about fake Arcteryx!

I saw a Gamma Hoody for sale on EBay super cheap. I also read the seller lived about 20 minutes north. I repeatly contacted him to ask if we could meet so I could try on the jacket. After the fourth time the seller texts me all kinds of profanity and insults. I stayed calm and asked WTF. He eventually backed off and apologized.

I reported this to EBay. About six months later different profanity laced insults same EBay seller phone number. I had a good time talking s**t the three times over the couple years he texted me. I never did say if his gear was knock off but he did say he was pissed I reported him to EBay.

About messing with scammers.. A friend got into one heck of an argument with a phone schemer. The next night the guy called a pizza delivery and ordered four large pizzas to my buddies house. Pretty funny right? Well the next night there’s a loud banging at the door. The guy called 911 and told them he heard a woman being beat. He gave my buddies address. Not funny.. 

bruno-cx wrote: white privilege problems.

^-Written by privileged white guy who owns a sprinter. Btw, if you're questioning if your arcteryx is fake, it means you aren't that privileged. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Fake Arcteryx on eBay (Gamma Lt)"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.