Mountain Project Logo

Learning to tie knots

Original Post
Peter Herman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

So I’m a noob.  I’ve been Outdoor climbing several times, but always with someone way more experienced than me and they’ve always helped me “tie in.”  I want to get better at knot tying and what knots are used for different styles/purposes.  Is there a way to get a small section(maybe 5-10 feet) of climbing rope to learn to tie knots on?  And would anyone recommend a book on climbing knots?  

Thanks!

Matthew Bernstein · · Yosemite, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 197

Good on ya! If any of your friends have old retired ropes, u could ask them for a 10 foot section to practice tying knots. If that's not a possibility, you could go to any REI or other outdoor gear retailer and buy 9 or 10mm static cord by the foot. It wouldn't be good for climbing on, but would have a similar feel to climbing rope and would probably cost you less than 10 bucks. Perfect for practicing knots.  As for books, "Freedom Of the Hills" is a great all around climbing reference book that will have essential climbing knots in it. 

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 239
Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

animatedknots.com

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

Peter,

Where are you at?  I’ve got tons of old rope that I could get you a piece of. 

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

Robert is right on the money, Grog's animated knots page is the go-to nowadays. There's even an app. And then while you are learning why you use the knots climbers use, you practice, practice, practice until you can tie the knot blindfolded, in the dark, without looking, etc. 

Peter Herman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

I’m located in Pennsylvania.  

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

You might try starting with this page: Knots

It contains links to the site Animated Knots by Grog as well as other discussion and  images.

Any comments about the page are most welcome.

txclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

Also, don't be intimidated or think you need to learn dozens of knots.  I climbed for years (sport) before I used anything more than a figure eight.  Even now I only really use a figure eight, clove hitch, Munter hitch, Munter-mule (for escaping belay), and very occasionally an alpine butterfly.  Learn those and you'll be able to handle most situations.

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

Agree with TX’s list as a starting point though for me the alpine butterfly is not used much. Bowline instead?

Rudy Chavira · · Taylorsville. Ut · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I sit around, and tie knots when doing nothing, no matter how many times I've tied them in past. Also when bored I try them one handed if possible.

Brad Johnson · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Agree with TXclimber, but really to start focus on a clove, 8, and bowline.  Actually the Munter is a good to know just incase scenario.  

Wes C · · Cleveland, oh · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 146

If your going to be building top rope anchors off trees and such, I'd second the bowline and add a water knot for webbing.

Stan Hampton · · St. Charles, MO · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

Be careful with learning knots from online sources.  Some of them are actually tied incorrectly.  Better to get a good climbing book or learn from a reputable instructor.  And be careful of knot terminology.  Many don't even know the correct names for some knots. 

John Badila · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 15

For knot tying practice, check your local gym.  They may well have some several-foot lengths of retired climbing rope already set aside for that purpose--if you're lucky they'll just give you some.  

Michael Parker · · Belgrade, MT · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 5,101

In single pitch scenarios I really only use the figure 8 for tying in, girth hitch for attaching PAS or sling to harness, and the triple fishermans for knotting the end of the rope to close the system.  In multi-pitch scenarios a few other knots and hitches are useful such as the clove hitch for tethering yourself to the anchor, prusik or auto block for backing up a rappel or emergency ascending, alpine butterfly for tying into the middle of the rope or isolating a damaged section of rope, and the munter to save your ass if you drop, lose, or forget your belay device.  

And as mentioned before there are countless books on climbing knots and their applications.  I haven't bought a book for climbing knots specifically, but most of the books I have read usually have a chapter that covers the standard knots.  Both Advanced Rock Climbing a.co/2tJoeNc and Climbing Anchors a.co/8RRG2qK cover these knots.  And as a bonus you'll get all sorts of other useful info if you choose to read them in their entirety.  

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

Learn how to tie a double back figure 8 into your harness.  Do it with your eyes closed.  You don't need climbing rope, any rope will do.  Buy 10 feet of it at Home Depot.  As a beginner, that is all you need to know.  As you get more into it, you will learn more knots, which are used for other purposes.

Matt Himmelstein wrote:

Learn how to tie a double back figure 8 into your harness.  Do it with your eyes closed.  You don't need climbing rope, any rope will do.  Buy 10 feet of it at Home Depot.  As a beginner, that is all you need to know.  As you get more into it, you will learn more knots, which are used for other purposes.

He means a figure eight follow knot.  He is confusing this with doubling back your harness.  Using the correct names of knots is a good habit to get into.

Michael Parker wrote:

In single pitch scenarios I really only use the figure 8 for tying in, girth hitch for attaching PAS or sling to harness, and the triple fishermans for knotting the end of the rope to close the system.  In multi-pitch scenarios a few other knots and hitches are useful such as the clove hitch for tethering yourself to the anchor, prusik or auto block for backing up a rappel or emergency ascending, alpine butterfly for tying into the middle of the rope or isolating a damaged section of rope, and the munter to save your ass if you drop, lose, or forget your belay device.  

And as mentioned before there are countless books on climbing knots and their applications.  I haven't bought a book for climbing knots specifically, but most of the books I have read usually have a chapter that covers the standard knots.  Both Advanced Rock Climbing a.co/2tJoeNc and Climbing Anchors a.co/8RRG2qK cover these knots.  And as a bonus you'll get all sorts of other useful info if you choose to read them in their entirety.  

I think you mean a triple overhand to close the system.  A triple fisherman's knot is used to tie two ends of cords together using triple overhands in opposition.

Michael Parker · · Belgrade, MT · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 5,101
rockklimber wrote:

I think you mean a triple overhand to close the system.  A triple fisherman's knot is used to tie two ends of cords together using triple overhands in opposition.

Ah, I suppose you are correct.  I never realized there was a distinction between tying it on a single rope and tying 2 rope ends together.  It must be a fairly common misnomer because I've always heard it referred to as a triple fishermans in both scenarios.  

Michael Parker wrote:

Ah, I suppose you are correct.  I never realized there was a distinction between tying it on a single rope and tying 2 rope ends together.  It must be a fairly common misnomer because I've always heard it referred to as a triple fishermans in both scenarios.  

Yeah, gyms are notorious for teaching this incorrect terminology.  And then it spreads from there.

A double overhand (or triple) is used to tie a stopper knot in the end of a rope to prevent you from rappelling off the end.

A double fisherman's bend is used to tie two ropes together for a double rope rappel or to make a cordelette.  

Just make sure to always check the double overhand knots to make sure they are dressed correctly.  This knot is the most often incorrectly tied knot in climbing.  Look for an X on one side and an "equals" sign on the other.

PS.  A triple fisherman's is generally never necessary unless you are using spectra or dyneema cord which is "slippery".  A quadruple fisherman's might even be a good idea.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Learning to tie knots"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started