Mountain Project Logo

Easy Top Rope Setup

Original Post
Sam Meade · · Portland Oregon · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Hey, I am somewhat of a beginner climber, and looking for some climbing that has easy top rope setup 1-3 hours away from Tacoma, Washington! Preferably, this means no lead climbing, and the rope can be set up from hiking or scrabling up to the top. Anything from 5.7- 5.12a, I am having trouble finding routs like this, so let me know thanks!

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

I'm not familiar with the area, but have you tried the Route Guide for your region? You can select Toprope only as a filter.

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365
Sam Meade · · Portland Oregon · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Awesome! Thanks a ton 

Meredith E. · · Bainbridge Island, WA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 5

If you dont mind a bit of a drive (but really no further than Vantage) Mt. Erie in Anacortes has a bunch of stuff that can be set up for top rope from the top.

Keith Earley · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 25

Broughton Bluff in Portland is 3 hours away, and has topropable routes on the left side

Matthew Tangeman · · SW Colorado · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,098

I'm not sure I would recommend Vantage as a top roping destination. If you don't know the wall, hard to tell what you're rapping into and there's gonna be a lot of people there any given weekend - lots of loose rock to knock down, and with ropes being tossed from above it turns the usual cluster to even more of a cluster. With that said, on quieter days the Sunshine Wall is one of the best walls in the state for getting lots of laps on TR solo.

In spring, Leavenworth is great for your skill level and TRing with lots of beginner crags and usually easy to set up TRs. Also would second Mt. Erie.

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240

Leavenworth, Exit32 British Isle/Blackstone area, exit 38 write off rock/gritstone/somewhere by interstate park up past kiss of the crowbar. 

I wouldnt recommend Vantage because of loose rock as stated above. 

That said I second learning to lead sport routes and spending some time at the exits. Good luck 

C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Hey Sam,

I'm local to Tacoma and can give you plenty of info and/or go out on most weekdays to hang a rope. Always down to climb in the rain or otherwise. Shoot me a message if you're interested.

- Scott

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,723

Erie is great as many of the walls have easily accessible anchors. Most of the popular walls have been rigged with fixed anchor draws as well. However, getting turned around is easy and it can be downright dangerous to get lost at Erie despite the relative small size of the area. so either buy the guidebook at Erie grocery, or get Rakkup. 

I've spent thousands of hours there and I give directions to lost climbers on most days. 

Leavenworth is top notch for easy to access toprope. Playground point, trundle dome, Sam hill, JY crag, to name a few. 

Brett, are you talking about squishy bell? (Above interstate park?) That's a great toprope wall too, albeit a little short. 

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240
Kyle Elliott wrote:

Erie is great as many of the walls have easily accessible anchors. Most of the popular walls have been rigged with fixed anchor draws as well. However, getting turned around is easy and it can be downright dangerous to get lost at Erie despite the relative small size of the area. so either buy the guidebook at Erie grocery, or get Rakkup. 

I've spent thousands of hours there and I give directions to lost climbers on most days. 

Leavenworth is top notch for easy to access toprope. Playground point, trundle dome, Sam hill, JY crag, to name a few. 

Brett, are you talking about squishy bell? (Above interstate park?) That's a great toprope wall too, albeit a little short. 

Yeah that's the one!!  I haven't been there in a LONG time and couldn't remember the name.  

alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

All of Gritscone at exit 38- far side 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Easy Top Rope Setup"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started