Good Beginner Ice around Anchorage?

Original Post
Aaron Dirthog · · Anchorage, ak · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Title says it all.

C Williams · · Sketchy, Blackvanistan · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 1,556

Yes

climbing coastie · · Wasilla, AK · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 95
Nick Baker · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 86

If you don't mind a 1.5 hour drive, Kids Corner is a local favorite for a fun multipitch climb in the wi3 range.   Caribou creek (where kids is located) has just about anything you could want difficulty wise.  https://www.mountainproject.com/route/109775258/kids-corner

I could suggest stuff closer, but what WI level are you looking for?  For moderate stuff a hour or less away I would consider Beer Climbs, Eklutna Canyon, and Five fingers

Nick Baker wrote:

If you don't mind a 1.5 hour drive, Kids Corner is a local favorite for a fun multipitch climb in the wi3 range.   Caribou creek (where kids is located) has just about anything you could want difficulty wise.  https://www.mountainproject.com/route/109775258/kids-corner

I could suggest stuff closer, but what WI level are you looking for?  For moderate stuff a hour or less away I would consider Beer Climbs, Eklutna Canyon, and Five fingers

Not to sure what I can and cannot climb yet. Just trying to get an idea of some of the places around.

Aaron D. wrote:

Not to sure what I can and cannot climb yet. Just trying to get an idea of some of the places around.

Then I'd recommend finding someone experienced and going out with them. If they are experienced, they'll know where to go. 

Nick Baker · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 86

Yea, get on the ak ice climbing fb page and ask for a partner.  There are people willing to do some mentoring in return for having a belay partner.  If you are not sure what you can climb you should be top roping/following with someone experienced.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

If you're free during the week and want to get out let me know. 

Clint Helander · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 612

Aaron is a good guy. Way psyched. Someone take him out and show him the local goods. I would, but I'm out of the state until March. Good luck, Aaron!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Good Beginner Ice around Anchorage?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started