Mountain Project Logo

Misty Mountain Custom Harness Builder

Original Post
Phoffmann · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 345

Phil Hoffmann, Sales Manager at Misty Mountain here.  

Misty Mountain has just launched a custom harness builder web platform. 

We came to this conclusion becuase of the calls and emails we were getting for custom options.  

If you would like, give it a try as we would love some feedback. 

www.mistymountain.com 

Thanks,

Phil  

Jim Schloemer · · North Bend, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 326

Cool, wish this had been available when I bought my harness last year ;)

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Really cool idea! Wasn’t sure if there’s four ice clipper slots or two on the Wall belt though.

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 327

That is really cool. Is the large picture at the top supposed to reflect your choices at the end? Mine was the same stock blue it was on the first page as the last. (Browsing mobile IOS). Just curious cause I noticed the thumbnail changes as you go.

Also what approximate configuration would be like a standard Cadillac? I’ve known everyone to rave about it for years now maybe now it’s time to get something close to but maybe a lil more custom.

Vincent M · · Kalamazoo, MI · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 35

Dang I just bought a cadillac less than a month ago.  Wish this had been available then.

Seth Monteleone · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 51

I love Misty mountain. They made custom chalk bag for me earlier this year. If you climb in NC you will see everyone wearing Misty harnesses. 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Would it be possible to make the gearloops a separate option from the type of waist belt? I built a harness just to try it out and I wanted to use the wall belt but have a gear loop configuration like the crag belt. Also, less important to me would be removing the ice clipper slots if that makes it cheaper and making the haul loop options seperate like the gear loops. 

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

What kind of turn around does MM have on custom harnesses?

waldo · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 30

This is wonderful. I can’t wait to get a new harness. It will be nice to get it just how I desire instead of going with the best option available. 

Thanks for such great coustomer service. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Forever Outside wrote:

What kind of turn around does MM have on custom harnesses?

I'll bet if you looked at the website, it would answer your question.

FrankPS wrote:

I'll bet if you looked at the website, it would answer your question.

I did that first Frank. It must challenging going through life assuming nobody is proactive. 

and to MM, the builder is great, I ordered a new custom harness despite my current caddillac still hanging tough.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Forever Outside wrote:

I did that first Frank. It must challenging going through life assuming nobody is proactive. 

and to MM, the builder is great, I ordered a new custom harness despite my current caddillac still hanging tough.

I clicked the link provided above and the time was clearly stated. Challenging, indeed!

Forever Outside wrote:

If you actually read the agreement before just hitting agree then you have found the information.

"I understand that I am building a custom hand-crafted harness. Custom harnesses may not be exchanged or returned and may take 2-4 weeks to build."

The troll game is strong in here.  Did not take long to derail this thread!  

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Forever Outside wrote:

The troll game is strong in here.  Did not take long to derail this thread!  

So is the denial game

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

Smash Hit! Misty Mountain just made their harnesses that much better! I have used their harnesses for years and love the fit and quality.  Now with custom colors this could be really fun.  I love the 9/16" nylon slings as well-nice skinny slings that are still all nylon. 

Dallen

Bill Kirby wrote:

So is the denial game

You can't be trolled if you are a troll.

Phoffmann · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 345

Thanks for all the excellent feedback.  The orders are starting to come in which we are very thankful for.  

Let me try to address some of the comments above. 

@Nicholas Gillman:  Your final choices should be reflected in your shopping cart, colorway and custom options all together.  The large stock image remains blue and that signifies that the first item you chose was the custom harness.   When one scrolls down on the cart page the colors and options selected are shown in a vertical format.  A standard Cadillac configuration includes Wall Belt>Wall Legs> Single Belay/Rappel loop> 6 gear loops>Standard or QA Buckles

@eli poss: Unfortunately at this time the gear loop options are limited to the belt in which a stock belt gear loop configuration is set. i.e Wall belt is made with 6 gear loops, crag and ground up belts are made with corresponding gear loops.  Ill ask the design team if we can mix and match gear loop options.   Ice clipper slots are configured similar to the Cadillac Tactical.  Take a look at the side image and you will see they are placed between the gear loops.  They are an option if not needed.   Good beta about the haul loops. 

@Forever Outside:  Turnaround is usually 2-4 weeks to be on the safe side taking into account the complexity of the build out. 

I think that covers most of the questions.  

As a side note: We spent the better part of 6 months trying to balance the manufacturing capability of our talented staff and the multitude of possible configurations. 

We are pretty stoked about V1 (the version, not the bouldering grade :) ) and hope to be able to implement more options as we deep dive into this platform.

Please keep the feedback coming and its really fun hearing your responses.  

Thanks for supporting us and sharing the love!  

Phil  

Thanks for the response Phil. I'm currently in the market for a new harness but unfortunately the gear loops are a deal breaker for me. I know, I'm really picky, sorry. But I was really stoked about being able to get really heavy duty waistbelt and lighter leg loops. I personally find myself not putting much if any weight on my leg loops most of the time so I'd love to essentially "move" the padding to the waist belt where most of my weight goes anyways and cut some weight on the leg loops.

Perhaps by the time I need another harness after that one, y'all will be able to offer more customization with gear loops. Also, out of curiosity, have y'all ever considered doing the molded gear loops (i think that's the term) that aren't like a semi-circle but are more square shaped like this:

I really like these better and I'm kinda curious why it seems like they are less common than the circular ones? Is it more expensive to manufacturer? Is there a patent? 

Philip Martin · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

The builder is amazing :) Well done  MM!

waldo · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 30

Is the sonic waist belt not avalible on the custom builder or am i not looking in the right spot? If someone wanted to add ice clipper slots to the sonic or an extra gear loop how would they do that?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Misty Mountain Custom Harness Builder"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started