Mountain Project Logo

Owens River Gorge Guidebook?

Original Post
Becky Hiu · · Des Moines, IA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Can’t seem to locate one anywhere online... help? I got the Bishop Area Climbs by Marty Lewis but it doesn’t have ORG. Thanks!

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130
Jordan Gans · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2012 · Points: 26

Eastside sports in Bishop will rent you one...Rumor is the new edition will be coming out sometime in spring.

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

You will do fine in the ORG with mountainproject. Its honestly not that confusing of a place. 

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
Jordan Gans wrote:

Eastside sports in Bishop will rent you one...Rumor is the new edition will be coming out sometime in spring.

I had heard this as well, but they would not loan one to me last year. I did manage to misidentify most climbs using MP (route finding isn't my forté), eventually met some nice locals who steered us in the right direction.

Thanks all. I got help here from a fellow MP-mate. See you at ORG if you're there the week of Thanksgiving!  

C Brooks wrote:

You will do fine in the ORG with mountainproject. Its honestly not that confusing of a place. 

I am directionally-challenged. No joke.  I can still get lost with a GPS, Google Maps and Apple Maps. That's how bad I am. What more just a guidebook and no reception.

walmongr wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Owens-River-Gorge-Climbs-9th/dp/0967611628

https://www.geartrade.com/item/506434/owens-river-gorge-climbs-by-marty-lewis-10th-edition-2005?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImYO_7MqC1wIVFFx-Ch3eBw-cEAYYAiABEgJM1vD_BwE

Not Cheep!!!

Yep. I tried searching but they ain't cheap because of the limited supply. Cheapest used book was $60 on AMZN. I e-mailed Wolverine Publishing and the lady said the new edition should be out in Spring 2018. 

Jamie Silliman wrote:

I just returned from ORG...many climbs are unreachable due to high water.  The only places I found that you could cross were at Gotham City, and a bridge at the Social Platform, and I hiked up and down looking.  

There are still plenty of great climbs, but areas like the China Wall and Gorgeous Towers are out.  At least I couldn't find an easy way to reach them.

Thanks for the heads up, Jamie. We'll be there the week of Thanksgiving so we shall see. 

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

A bunch of the dedicated locals just installed a fantastic new bridge to Great Wall of China a few days ago.  There are also great new bridges at Pink Face/Big Tower, and Diamond Face/Diamondback areas.  Erik Wolfe has put a huge effort into cleaning and equipping a bunch of nice new routes in those areas.  They are all logged here at MP.

susan peplow · · Joshua Tree · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,756

Pristine Copy of Owens River Gorge Climbs 10th edition guidebook is available for auction.  

As many of you know the ORG has been experiencing water releases which have changed the river and access to much popular climbing areas.  Bridges are in need of revamping to gain access which requires both manpower and materials.  For reference, the recent bridge installed below China Wall took 8 people, 3 hours and cost nearly $250 in materials.  

All proceeds of the auctioned guide will be donated to the bridge replacement project for ORG.  For those of you that desire the guide this is a way to snag it and give back to climbing community.  

The guide is in perfect condition with no shelf wear, no drawings/markings or highlighting.  The spine is new and never been cracked.  

• The starting bid, like Gorge routes, is steep... $100 
• Auction Extended - to include Super Topo folks.
• Signed by Marty Lewis  

Make Generous Bids @ https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113767464/auction-copy-of-owens-river-rock-climbs-10th-edition-guidebook-pristine-conditio or message me directly. 

~Susan 

tip: The new guidebook will not be coming out in spring as rumored above this baby will get you through until it is.  

Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 55

Hmmm guess I'll never get to climb Santana now!  Been saving it all of these years.  Bring back the beach start!!

Auction closing 1/1/18 ... use link above to be included in bidding process.  Currently at $115 on Supertopo.  

Cheers! 

MisterE Wolfe · · Grass Valley, CA · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 8,092
phylp wrote:

A bunch of the dedicated locals just installed a fantastic new bridge to Great Wall of China a few days ago.  There are also great new bridges at Pink Face/Big Tower, and Diamond Face/Diamondback areas.  Erik Wolfe has put a huge effort into cleaning and equipping a bunch of nice new routes in those areas.  They are all logged here at MP.

Thanks for the mention Phyl!

Done and Ended.  Thank you Bob Davis of Supertopo for your high bid of $115 which will directly go to bridge replacement at the ORG.  

We do have access to another guide donation for those willing to match the highest bid of $115.  This option will remain ongoing until met.  

Nic Crumley · · Gold River, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 21

A lady came into the consignment gear store in Bishop and asked if they would buy her ORG guide book as she and her partner were leaving the next day and had no more use for it. The guys said no, they could put it on consignment but they wouldn't buy it and she didn't like the sound of that. I happened to be at the counter flipping through other guidebooks and, being the opportunist I am, told her I would buy it. She asked how much, I said I think I have ten bucks on me (I had $15), she said that wasn't enough. I "remembered" I had $15 dollars and offered it to her, she took it, I got a practically unused ORG guide book, and became a hero amongst my friends haha

Nic Crumley wrote:

A lady came into the consignment gear store in Bishop and asked if they would buy her ORG guide book as she and her partner were leaving the next day and had no more use for it. The guys said no, they could put it on consignment but they wouldn't buy it and she didn't like the sound of that. I happened to be at the counter flipping through other guidebooks and, being the opportunist I am, told her I would buy it. She asked how much, I said I think I have ten bucks on me (I had $15), she said that wasn't enough. I "remembered" I had $15 dollars and offered it to her, she took it, I got a practically unused ORG guide book, and became a hero amongst my friends haha

Way to kick off 2018!   

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Owens River Gorge Guidebook?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started