Mountain Project Logo

Recommendations on rope and rope bag for rope soloing

Original Post
John Kelly · · Greenville, SC · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 45

TR, sport, trad, what do you guys who rope solo use and why? 

Thanks!

Am I in right forum or should I post this somewhere else?

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Andy Kirkpatrick's book Me Myself and I is pretty much the holy Grail for insight into rope solo

Also if you just generally like being entertained his other books are good too 

Got it just came today. I was just looking for some real world feedback as far as brand, quality, what bags fed well, carried well, etc. Thanks you sir! 

Great book I finally got to the meet of it, 01 Concepts but tired so stopped there for evening. Watching these You Tube videos....people are going up one strand on gris gris and other things I never heard of, others two strands with two devices on two strands, tying knots every 5 minutes. I think one guy even levitated! I'm getting dizzy reading and watching this stuff.

I'm going one strand two devices, micro and ascender and I had my ATC and I broke down and bought I gri gri and a lumar. Hey I like living. But those knots actually seem like a good idea. They ain't going through the achor so your not gonna deck. But I think I'll do one every 15 or 20 feet or so. Gotta get some laps in and have no partner and a lot of time during day I could be climbing. And just realized new rope I bought in May is at ex girls house and she probably burnt it while chanting and shaking chicken feet over it so that's why I am asking rope question. Gotta get a new one.

Now back to the book. Did Petzl steal his sketches, or vica versa. Cause they are the same ones, lol!

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

Don't spend a lot of money, I use a large Metolius Wall Bag. 

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422
Greg Shea wrote:

Andy Kirkpatrick's book Me Myself and I is pretty much the holy Grail for insight into rope solo

I wouldn't characterize it that way - more a beginning reference point and one opinion among many others. For aid soloing I'd personally search out posts here and elsewhere by Pete Zabrok and Mark Hudon. For free lead rope soloing it's definitely just one opinion among many - it may or may not be a fit for you, but again serves as one starting point.

Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10
Healyje wrote:

I wouldn't characterize it that way - more a beginning reference point and one opinion among many others. For aid soloing I'd personally search out posts here and elsewhere by Pete Zabrok and Mark Hudon. For free lead rope soloing it's definitely just one opinion among many - it may or may not be a fit for you, but again serves as one starting point.

Sorry I just meant that's it is pretty great for beginning like you said, I agree mark hudon is great

Also just an Andy Kirkpatrick fan boy tbh

Cho · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 0

For walls, the Fish Snake Charmer is la puta madre.

A. B. · · San Diego · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 51
Cho wrote:

For walls, the Fish Snake Charmer is la puta madre.

I concur. Fish has the ultimate wall bag for this. 

http://www.fishproducts.com/catalog/big_wall.html
Peter Zabrok · · Hamilton, ON · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 645

Is Russ Walling even alive?  I have written him asking about a Snake Charmer, Beef Bags and Wall Bags, but all I get is some robot reply.  Doesn't he ever check his emails?  Doesn't he want my business any more? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Recommendations on rope and rope bag for rope s…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started