Mountain Project Logo

Camping close to Ship Rock & Linville Gorge

Original Post
Chris Duca · · Dixfield, ME · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 2,330

What's the closest campground/campsite to Ship Rock?  How about Linville Gorge?  Can you camp at the base of either area?  

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

There is dispersed camping in the National Forests around Ship Rock, but none at the crag itself. 

Linville Gorge is a large area, and camping is easy within a short distance of most of crags in the gorge. Where exactly in Linville Gorge are you headed?

stolo · · Lake Norman, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 214

There are campsites at the Table Rock parking lot (there is a bathroom and trash cans too). There are also a number of places along the gravel road to Table Rock that people camp at. 

Ezra Ellis · · Hotlanta · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

The table rock parking lot adjacent camping is nice,

All other sites along that road require you to be 150 feet (edited) from the road or you can get a $150 ticket, FYI 

wes calkins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 474
Ezra Ellis wrote:

The table rock parking lot adjacent camping is nice,

All other sites along that road require you to be 1/4 mile from the road or you can get a $150 ticket, FYI 

Ezra, can you cite where you got this info from? I can't think of a single pullout campsite on TR road that is 1/4 mile off the road. I wonder if I have been breaking the law for all the years and didn't even know. 

wes calkins wrote:

Ezra, can you cite where you got this info from? I can't think of a single pullout campsite on TR road that is 1/4 mile off the road. I wonder if I have been breaking the law for all the years and didn't even know. 

Wes, I think it's a usfs regulation,  but I can't site the code.

I have heard of tickets issued, rarely, on the table rock road, for camping near the road.

I do know looking glass and cedar rock roads are specifically posted to only allow camping where the camping -allowed  signs are.

Edit-I googled usfs- dispersed camping, the usfs website states you have to be 150 feet from a road way, when not in designated camp grounds.

Admittedly, this is likely rarely enforced.

Best

Ezra 

AField · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

Permits are required to camp within the Wilderness Area from May-October. If you don't have a permit, there's a fee. There is dispersed camping along the FS road from Gingercake, and along Kistler Memorial Highway on the west side of the gorge.

Joshua Upchurch · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

there is some primitive camping along 221 near Sunken Treasure and along the trail to little wilson.  Both within a 10 minute drive to Ship Rock.

So I called the usfs this morning, grandfather ranger district, they stated you need to be 200 feet from any roads and trails, while camping on usfs land.

-e

Lewis L · · Asheville, NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 347

The Linville Falls campground on the BRP is very convenient to both areas. It costs a little,  but it has bathrooms and water. Closes for the season at the end of October. 

Dave Baker · · Wiltshire · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 303

I camped at Price Park campground, which at MP 297 http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=36 was really close to the Ship Rock parking at MP 303.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Camping close to Ship Rock & Linville Gorge"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started