Mountain Project Logo

Where to have hexes re-slung?

Original Post
Jake Cramer 1 · · State College, PA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 125

Howdy folks, I'm in the process of building my rack, and recently got a free set of early 2000's Wild Country hexes from a friend. For at least 4 years, they've been hanging at a front desk/reception area, and before that they were part of someone's rack. The dyneema slings show moderate to heavy wear, and given their age and price, I figured I'd put some money into replacing them.

My question is though- is there anywhere in the U.S. that'll re-sling them with sewn dyneema, or should I just get some 5.9 mm powercord and do it myself?

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Cut the old sling off, take the hex and throw it into the recycle bin. Best solution ever. 

But then my rack would be reduced to a handful of rigid-stem friends, tricams, oval steel biners, and my swami...

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

just use cord and do a double fisherman's knot.

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453

Mountain Tools will sew new webbing in your hexes

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I reslung a bunch of Chouinard era hexes with 7mm nylon cord. I suspect getting hexes reslung with dynema is going to cost at least $7-$10 per hex, which is more than they're worth. 

Dave Bn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 10

It's #cool to hate on hexes.  I like to tell those people to fuck off.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

People have already said it may be costly to re-sling them, but they are less bulky on the harness or gear sling. Otherwise re-slinging them yourself using 7mm nylon in the 14kn rated range or smaller diameter tech cord that is stronger will probably be lower cost options. More so the nylon cord than tech cord depending what you find for prices. 

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:

Cut the old sling off, take the hex and throw it into the recycle bin. Best solution ever. 

As someone who has rapped off hexes and slung chicked heads from following on an FA, that is such a waste of a hex.

Other than using Mountain Tools re-sling service, I would just use supple perlon cord and do it myself.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
anotherclimber wrote:
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35
Dave Bn wrote:

It's #cool to hate on hexes.  I like to tell those people to fuck off.

Never heard that from a hex lover. Pretty much the only thing I can hear over the jangling is "take"

Pretty much the only thing I can hear over the jangling is "take"

I loled.

How about this one:

You can get them reslung in 1983.

I wasn't going to actually bite on all the dumb comments but; I'm keeping them because I'd rather spend my money on actually going climbing than on buying more climbing gear. Plus I'd rather bail off a free hex or two than a couple nuts when faced with some suspect tat and pins or a verglassed crack

Jake Cramer 1 wrote:

I wasn't going to actually bite on all the dumb comments but; I'm keeping them because I'd rather spend my money on actually going climbing than on buying more climbing gear. Plus I'd rather bail off a free hex or two than a couple nuts when faced with some suspect tat and pins or a verglassed crack

Dude. I'm kidding. I have a set of hexes too for the same reasons.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536

You can probably get them re-slung with dyneema slings at Ragged Mountain in North Conway NH, I don't know if Titan or nylon cord will fit the WC hexes.

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166

Never heard that from a hex lover. Pretty much the only thing I can hear over the jangling is "take"

Savage, but true.

John Parry · · WILMINGTON, CN · Joined Nov 2020 · Points: 0
Anonymous wrote:

In the USA I only know of Caccia which was mentioned already, and Mountain Tools. 

http://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/cams/mt_camresling.htm Help: sling customer service number

People have already said it may be costly to re-sling them, but they are less bulky on the harness or gear sling. Otherwise re-slinging them yourself using 7mm nylon in the 14kn rated range or smaller diameter tech cord that is stronger will probably be lower cost options. More so the nylon cord than tech cord depending what you find for prices. 

I agree. Thank you!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
John Parry wrote:

Thank you. I agreed

Resurrect a 3 y.o. thread for THAT?

Mike Stanley · · NH · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0
Gunkiemike wrote:

Resurrect a 3 y.o. thread for THAT?

I'll take more hex talk however I can get it.

Victor L · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2020 · Points: 5

Triple fisherman’s with 5mm blue water dyneema rated for 13kn. Bought it at REI.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Where to have hexes re-slung?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started