Mountain Project Logo

Yosemite Wildfire Status

Original Post
Jeffrey Gereige · · New York · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Does anyone know what's the status of the wildfire? Which areas is it in, what progress (if any has been made) in stopping it?

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

I assume you're talking about the Detwiler fire? Or has another one started in the park? 

http://www.calfire.ca.gov/general/firemaps

Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50
Jeffrey Gereige · · New York · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

do you know if it's affecting visitors/climbers in the park?

Call the ranger station at the park. That's why they're there. I'm sure it's smokey, we've been socked in with smoke the past couple days in Tahoe/Reno. Might not be as bad on in the park due to prevailing winds from the SW. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Patrick M · · Greely Hill, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

It is very smokey in and around the park. 

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209
  • What campgrounds are open in tuolumne?
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Lou Cerutti wrote:

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Jeremy Justus · · Steamboat Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Did cathedral yesterday and there was some smoke sitting low but not as bad as the valley. Views were bad in the valley but it didn't feel bad in my lungs but I dunno how bad it would have to be for that. 140 is closed but I still went to car camp just outside the entrance in el portal, it smelt like a campfire and I was getting something like a drizzle of ash all night.

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

how long do these wildfires typically impact yosemite? is this something that will likely be long gone in a few weeks or is it common that they last for a season?

Colton L · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 15
Jake wander wrote:

how long do these wildfires typically impact yosemite? is this something that will likely be long gone in a few weeks or is it common that they last for a season?

You will probably will see smoke subside within the next week or so as crews get a handle on the fire. If there are road closures, they will be lifted as soon as safety permits. 

The fire isn't in the park.

Ed Henicle · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,369
Lou Cerutti wrote:

Tuolumne Meadows campground is scheduled to open Aug 1. Until then, the best camping is outside the park east of Tioga pass. Here is a map that shows all the campsites.  Tioga Lake, Ellery Lake, and Junction are usually full, but things open up as you drive down the hill. Warren Fork is at the 9000 ft elevation sign. See you up there!

Jake wander wrote:

Depends on wind direction, wind velocity, relative humidity, ability for crews to create fire breaks in varied terrain to prevent spread, etc. I.E. somewhat unpredictable. The 2013 Rim Fire burned for 2 months. 

Jake wander wrote:

The Brianhead fire in UT started on Jun 17. It's similar in size to the fire west of the Valley. It was considered fully contained a few days ago, but parts are still burning.

Ed Henicle wrote:

Tioga Lake, Ellery Lake, and Junction are usually full, but things open up as you drive down the hill. 

Tioga and Ellery lake CGs can be viciously windy. At that elevation it can mean chilly dinners and cold nights.

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 209

Still off topic here but Saddlebag Lake CG is still completely under snow. It's beautiful up there right now.

smoke hasn't been bad the last few days. It seems to settle into view in the evenings 

Nata · · San Francisco · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 5

Yesterday was clear in Tuolomne. Didn't see smoke/haze until we got close to the 120 exit. The valley was ok on Saturday. Some haze but not unbearable and actually surprisingly uncrowded - I think the fire is keeping people away. Thursday and Friday there was much more smoke/haze in both areas, so not sure if conditions are improving or we just had a change in wind direction.

Artedemagia · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Does anybody know the current status in The Valley by these days, August 23? Thanks 

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195
Artedemagia wrote:

Does anybody know the current status in The Valley by these days, August 23? Thanks 

We were there last week. We drove through the valley twice and camped at upper cathedral lake for 3 nights. It all depended on the wind. We had 2 days of really bad smoke (couldn't see half dome or much of el cap, felt it in our throats after breathing it for days) but the other days it was unnoticed. 

Taylor Lapeyre · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 179

Can anyone out there report on what conditions might be like in the valley this weekend? Looks like there's another Mariposa fire started up and the live webcams show extremely bad smoke out there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Yosemite Wildfire Status"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started