Mountain Project Logo

app syncing automatically

Original Post
Jay Bird · · Marin, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,136

When I open the new version of the app it tries to sync my state automatically. If I am in an area that does have reception, or poor reception, it still tries to keep syncing and I cannot use the app. This happened to both myself and my friend last weekend which made the app on our phones USELESS. There needs to an option allowing you to sync or not. Please fix this

drock3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 13

I agree, I've had this issue too. Open the app up to look something up quickly and then you're stuck waiting for an update.

I'd vote for automatic syncing only happening when on WiFi. Manual sync can be triggered when on cell.

Kenny Minogue · · Charleston, SC · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

The syncing seems to break photos I've downloaded. When I go to an area where I know there were photos they aren't showing up. Re-downloading all photos for an area brings them back after closing the app and restarting, but it's rather annoying to download over and over. Not to mention impossible when somewhere without service. 

Using iPhone 7 with latest iOS and MP app. Verizon LTE. 

Jon Vervoort · · Harleysville, PA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Agreed - there needs to be an option to stop the auto-sync (even when connected to WiFi).   I had planned to download pictures before heading out to the crag today, but they won't download while the app is syncing.   It's been syncing >30 min, so no photos have been downloaded and I won't be able to use the app.  Unfortunate.  (iPhone 6S w/ latest OS).  Great app - if you can use it!

Bradley Mark Edwards · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 11,530

My app is not updating automatically at all. I had to delete the app and re-install it. Is there a way to manually update the app for iPhone the way you could in the old version?

Sean H · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 120

I noticed this same problem, and in my case, it seemed that the "areas" were still available, however all of the routes were gone. This rendered the app useless as I had no signal.

I too would vote for either full manual syncing (with perhaps an "out of date indicator" after a check for updates), or at least a menu option to only sync when wifi is available.

At a minimum, I would think it would be possible to at do the update as an atomic swap - that is, assuming you have Utah downloaded, the app tries to download the changes/new version off to the side, and then only replaces the "live" copy once the download completes.

Don Hamilton · · Burnt Hills, NY · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 0

This app used to be great, but the latest syncing issues make it unusable.

Sean H · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 120
Don Hamilton wrote:

This app used to be great, but the latest syncing issues make it unusable.

Are you saying we need to...Make the Mountiain Project App Great Again?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "app syncing automatically "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started