Mountain Project Logo

Gunks Bear

Original Post
Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Just a heads up, had a bear come pretty close to me and my partner(30-40 feet) at base of Madame G's on 6/27. After making a suitable amount of noise it wandered down to the carriage road. Happened around noon which was surprising. Might not want to leave any food in your packs at the base...  

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

Exciting! Was it a juvenile?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

That bear cruised nearly the entire length of the Trapps Tuesday (also AAC campground that morning).  There's a photo of it at the base of High E sniffing through a pack, so don't leave nice-smelling things at the base.  I followed it from Betty to The Brat; it was below the carriage road through this section.  Definitely not a cub-size.  I'd guess a young male; those seem to be the ones that like to wander around.

I'd guess 2-3 years old. Smaller than most full grown bears I've seen in the area, but would be considered full grown in other areas.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392
  • Jeesh, for my $20 I want bear patrol!
Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616

Leaving ANY food in the packs is going to tempt it.  A bear's nose is super, super sensitive.  Think superpower sensitive. They can smell through wrappers.  If that bear has tore into a pack for food before, they will do it again.  Once they equate something with food there's no 'undoing' (unlearning) it.  This bear will likely need to be relocated.

Logan Schiff · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 60

Is "relocated" a euphemism? Probably the same bear I saw a couple months ago bounding towards my belay partner at the base of Arrow. Ran away when we yelled.

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

I've been leaving food in my bag at the Gunks for over a decade without incident but in late February I was up there on a weekday and came back down from a multipitch route to find that some creature had ripped a hole in my bag and eaten part of my apple and my pb&j sandwich. I assumed at the time that this was some kind of small varmint but now I'm guessing it was this same bear!

Logan Schiff wrote:

Is "relocated" a euphemism?

Unfortunately it might be.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

I've used the loksak in WY and MT when a bear canister wasn't a good option and being above tree line precluded the use of bear bags. They work great, keep your food organized and dry, work great as a trashbag on the way out. 

Mark L · · New York, NY · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

We need to give him a name.

Mark L wrote:

We need to give him a name.

Poo?

[if it was female, Bonnie the Poo]

I prefer MUA or camp slime. That way when they "relocate" the bear we can start our collective bitching afresh about how they got rid of him and now we have to pay $20 a night for the new bear and either have to reserve him weeks in advance wit no refund or go without him.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

fed bear is a dead bear :( humans suck sometimes.....

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Definitely Hans.

Doug Meneke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

A name?  O' bother.  Winnie if it's a male.  Maybe Winnie if it's a female.  It's not a wonderful thing...but I still like them a lot.  ttfn.  (some of you will get all of that.  I feel sorry for the rest of you.)

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

winnie or poo works  regardless of  gender...

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

I think Julie is right-- I don't know anyone who has taken precautions for bears in the Gunks, ever. I don't know that we need to start now, or if this is just a problem involving one bear. Is the Preserve equipped to handle a bear that has gotten into the habit of scavenging through people's packs? Or will they need to call in some outside experts?

cliffmama · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 317

If you see any bears on the Mohonk Preserve, PLEASE fill out this bear sightings form for them: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdSKPz4JfvAcPVwIRwQM-TOww0dCnsPwWU6E2NcQko6z2S-Yw/viewform

The Gunks Climbers' Coalition has interviewed the Director of Conservation Science at the Preserve about the bear sightings and will be publishing a blog post shortly about what we've learned. Will provide link when it's published.

Jannette, GCC

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Gunks Bear"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.