Mountain Project Logo

Preferred Wood Processing Tool?

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Ok, so technically not "climbing gear," per se, but given that, as climbers, we often end up camping on climbing trips and have unique demands/availability in terms of access, I thought I'd give the forums a try on this.  So...

What is your preferred tool for wood processing on climbing trips?  If you're not down on backpacking lingo (I certainly wasn't), wood processing includes cutting firewood into smaller pieces to use as kindling, cutting branches off of trees, etc for camp fires and stoves.  A lot of the guides I've found are for ultra-light backpacking and recommend some sort of folding saw, but given that most climbing trips involve car camping and weight isn't an issue (or, conversely, involve technical climbing where one probably wouldn't want to bring a single purpose tool), I wasn't too psyched on that option and was leaning more toward conventional camping/hunting options like survival knives, hatchets, or even machetes (as a friendly group at Red Rock once used to help me and the other newbs in my group).  So...what do you use and why?  Do you have a particular brand/model, or would any ole axe do?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

A chainsaw.  I like my Husky but Stihls are solid as well.  Keep it under a 20" bar to keep from getting in over your head.

For splitting kindling and general smallish stuff, this axe has been a great all-a-rounder:

http://www.gerbergear.com/Cutting-Tools/Axes/23.5-Axe_31-002651

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,362

My buddy has a 24V Chainsaw.....I was extremely skeptical at first but I tried it out and was blown away!

You guys throw a full-sized chainsaw in your car for climbing trips? :o

Also - any idea if it's possible to fly with a hatchet (checked, obviously)?

edit: nm, recognized the Googalable nature of my question:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/06/camping-hunting-fishing-gear-on-plane.html?m=1

Ted Pinson wrote:

You guys throw a full-sized chainsaw in your car for climbing trips? :o

If I'm car camping, yes.  Bug shelter, lawn chairs, cornhole boards.... It's ridiculous, but comfy!

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Fiskars makes a great splitting axe. The head acts like a standard axe for chopping, but flares wider at the back to give it better wedge action when splitting. I've had one for several years, and it's held up well. It comes in various sizes, as well.

Dustin Stotser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 371

While I'm camping, the sound of chainsaws is right up there with the sound of generators and obnoxious drunks.  

When I'm in a backwoods type situation I never require a fire large enough to justify a chainsaw or maul/large axe.  Usually finding a couple large downed branches or small trees at most 3-4 inches thick to break down with a hatchet, or leverage "saw", is all I require.  I use dead trees or rocks if possible when using the leverage saw.  If I am car camping where a large fire is desired and perhaps more justifiable, usually wood is available for sale close by in addition to the surrounding area being picked fairly clean.  I've seen many instances in the latter situation where someone inexperienced with a chainsaw decided to fell a tree only to realize the fresh wood wouldn't burn.  

Yes I understand it's possible to be responsible with a chainsaw, but advocating it in general as a good wood processing tool for camping purposes is bad stewardship, IMO.

Dustin Stotser wrote:

While I'm camping, the sound of chainsaws is right up there with the sound of generators and obnoxious drunks.  

When I'm in a backwoods type situation I never require a fire large enough to justify a chainsaw or maul/large axe.  Usually finding a couple large downed branches or small trees at most 3-4 inches thick to break down with a hatchet, or leverage "saw", is all I require.  I use dead trees or rocks if possible when using the leverage saw.  If I am car camping where a large fire is desired and perhaps more justifiable, usually wood is available for sale close by in addition to the surrounding area being picked fairly clean.  I've seen many instances in the latter situation where someone inexperienced with a chainsaw decided to fell a tree only to realize the fresh wood wouldn't burn.  

Yes I understand it's possible to be responsible with a chainsaw, but advocating it in general as a good wood processing tool for camping purposes is bad stewardship, IMO.

MANY of the places around the PNW (and even NorCal) have large areas with the left over from clear cuts - I would venture to say that very few people are going to feel bad about it. Felling trees is a whole other story.

Yeah...I'm mainly just looking to cut up firewood into smaller pieces, not quite full-on lumberjack. ;)

Like taking a crap outdoors, I accept the practicality and attitude surrounding this are regionalized.  At least make sure it's legal/allowed where you are.  

Dustin Stotser wrote:

Like taking a crap outdoors, I accept the practicality and attitude surrounding this are regionalized.  At least make sure it's legal/allowed where you are.  

I like that....I may need to start using this in other contexts as well. :) 

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

You are car camping so just bring some fire starter, no kindling required. Unless you have to be a boy scout about it. Works great if you are lazy. 

Dustin Stotser wrote:

Certainly one of the drawbacks to car camping. Chainsaws are at least an intermittent sound, at least they usually die down after dark, unlike generators.

A big ass fire feels great after a day of swinging ice tools. I've had more than one party saunter over and make conversation after their no-see-um fire proved to be a bit underwhelming. 

I just can't bring myself to buy wood though. Seems like pulling on gear, it's just not the same. 

I don't know what the solution to yahoos cutting green wood is, plenty of dumbasses out there. Same goes for people who trim live trees for their pyro needs.

I'm not really advocating anything, simply replying to the query as to the preferred tool.  I prefer to get the firewood gathering over as efficiently/quickly as possible. As far as bad stewardship goes, I disagree that chainsaws are any more impactful than buying wood.  Especially if it isn't local wood.  One should endeavor to minimize transport of firewood to help limit the spread of many diseases.  

I dig that and agree.   Most of my car camping is away from people, in areas with plenty of dead wood, and a larger (often continuous) fire is a valid item.  I probably spend an equal amount of time camping (backpacking) where I don't even bother with a fire and enjoy the natural quiet of wilderness.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Ted Pinson wrote:

wood processing includes  cutting branches off of trees, etc for camp fires and stoves.  

I hope you only cut branches off of trees on your property?

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

I have a nice Gransfors Bruks hatchet that I use for splitting rounds and quarters and then a stout 8" fixed blade (Morakniv - solid steel, but only a whopping $12) that I use for splitting the quarters even further down into kindling.  

Parker Wrozek wrote:

You are car camping so just bring some fire starter, no kindling required. Unless you have to be a boy scout about it. Works great if you are lazy. 

I've done that a lot, but also run into situations where we didn't have any; e.g: roadside firewood but nothing fancy.  I figured it would be simpler if I had something that was part of my standard camping rig rather than having to constantly go out and buy firestarter.  Plus, sometimes firewood is too freaking big to start a reasonable fire and/or you need to cut it down for a camp stove/grill.

Plus, hitting things with axes sounds fun.  Also: bears.

hikingdrew · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 38

A saw for big stuff, bigger than your wrist: Bahco laplander or any 6" pruning saw. Svensaw or trailblazer take down saw for really big stuff. To make kindling, batonning the small stuff, 4" knife, Mora or equivalent

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Ted Pinson wrote:

Also: bears.

You obviously need the chainsaw! :)

I see what you are saying on the rest though. I try to just have a nice stock of them and keep it in my car camping kit. 

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Jason.  In your situation, a chainsaw seems ideal for you and it seems you are responsible with one.  But I treat questions on here like a game of Family Feud, you have to think like the masses.

Jason Todd wrote:

A big ass fire feels great after a day of swinging ice tools. I've had more than one party saunter over and make conversation after their no-see-um fire proved to be a bit underwhelming. 

A big ass fire seems like a necessity in that situation :)

I just can't bring myself to buy wood though. Seems like pulling on gear, it's just not the same. 

It's the only viable low impact option in many car camping areas considering the volume of people.  

I'm not really advocating anything, simply replying to the query as to the preferred tool.  

If you are publicly supporting something, you advocate it by definition.

I prefer to get the firewood gathering over as efficiently/quickly as possible. As far as bad stewardship goes, I disagree that chainsaws are any more impactful than buying wood.  Especially if it isn't local wood.  

I agree completely, in the hands of responsible users.  I was more worried about the number of novice campers reading this here and thinking it to be the best idea for all situations.  A bunch of irresponsible people with chainsaws is definitely more impactful.

One should endeavor to minimize transport of firewood to help limit the spread of many diseases. 

I agree, all wood should only be gathered/purchased locally, as per the law in most areas I know.

Sorry for the digression, Ted.  Hikingdrew had very good suggestions!  Get an axe for splitting if you wish, but I personally prefer a hatchet for packing consideration.

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards.  It will at least annoy the bear, or I could use it to injure my partner so that he is slower and the bear goes for him.  Oh...and the wood thing.  It wouldn't be a MP thread if it didn't digress.  I probably opened Pandora's box by even hinting at collecting wood from the site...in all honesty what I would (probably) mainly use it for is paring down logs that I buy, but I like to leave my options open should I decide to do something in the backcountry.

So it seems like a lot of people trust Gerber...their 14" hatchet is on sale for $35 on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KCY7W1O/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1497793016&sr=1-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hatchet&dpPl=1&dpID=3178VKDW0nL&ref=plSrch

There's also an Estwing for the same price, which is much sexier:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BNQR4SG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497793016&sr=1-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hatchet&dpPl=1&dpID=41pXINwcV-L&ref=plSrch

Thoughts between the two?

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Ted Pinson wrote:

Plus, hitting things with axes sounds fun.  Also: bears.

Yup. Well, the fun part. I don't think the bear cares.

Make sure you buy one that can be sharpened. Stupidly, they do sell cutting devices that can't.

Buy a flat metal file and pack that too, to quickly get an edge back. You can also do yourself a favor and put an edge on your shovels. Keep one face flat and angle off the other. It takes awhile to do the first time, but only a minute or two to sharpen up after that.

If someone is brand new to using an axe, odd as it sounds, if they kneel down to get the swing of it, you get their legs out of range of the axe. If you are chopping a tree, that also minimizes the stump if you also need to whack that out.

Best, OLH

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Preferred Wood Processing Tool?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started