Mountain Project Logo

Search feature seems to have experienced a major downgrade in recent days

Original Post
Mike Bond · · Kentucky · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,191

What happened to the search feature?   It seems to have lost a lot of functionality recently.  Try searching for "urioste" which used to list any route with the Urioste's as the FAs listed...now it yields almost nothing.  Why the changes?  It, generally, seems to have lost the general functionality in searching the details in the route database. 

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

It's substantially more powerful search, but we forgot to index the FA field.  We'll add that next week.  Thanks!

Willis K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 40

For Sale forum posts also do not show up (at least for me), which is a bummer. New search does look cool though

Alton Richardson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 170

Nick, you guys rock!!! 

Rachel Vecchitto · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 75

Thanks, I'll get FAs back shortly,, and make sure forum posts are all indexed properly. Keep the suggestions coming! (just be nice ;) )

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Search starts with oldest posts first and no way to change the sort order that I can find.

Mike Bond · · Kentucky · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,191

Search results for routes is not a as useful as the table format used prior, or the table format that is still used for "what's new".   

dnoB ekiM wrote:

Search results for routes is not a as useful as the table format used prior, or the table format that is still used for "what's new".   

What specifically do you like less?

The idea is that the new search should get you the results you're looking for much higher in the result set, and so require less browsing through the results page (which, for example, used to link "boulder canyon" at the bottom of the results of a search for "boulder canyon", so the old version had its own issues). The idea of a "route finder" or a tool to browse routes is a bit of a different thing than search, and we're going to get to that later.

That said, the new search results are definitely displayed in a different format, so if you've got more details as to what you miss about the old results I'd love to hear them.

Ryan M Moore wrote:

Search starts with oldest posts first and no way to change the sort order that I can find.

Yeah, thanks -- we're gonna make some changes so that newer forum posts get boosted up this week.

Marc Yamamoto · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 20

Where do I do an advanced search to look for the most recent comments and route postings for my area?  It has disappeared from the forum and the top bar.  Thanks.

Found it.. it's in "what's new"

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Looks like the advanced search feature is gone.  For example, if I want to search for a forum post with the word, "nut" in it, but eliminate routes, I can't do it now.

The advanced search feature was useful and I hope it comes back. (I'm not referring to latest posts on an area as mentioned above)

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098
FrankPS wrote:

Looks like the advanced search feature is gone.  For example, if I want to search for a forum post with the word, "nut" in it, but eliminate routes, I can't do it now.

The advanced search feature was useful and I hope it comes back. (I'm not referring to latest posts on an area as mentioned above)

The left side of the "Full Results" has all the options that used to be on Advanced Search, including just showing you forum posts.  No functionality is gone.

Andy Summers · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 56

Search doesn't seem to like apostrophes for me. Test case: "Turk's Head Ridge" - loading bar. "Turks Head Ridge" - near instant results.

Apsu wrote:

Search doesn't seem to like apostrophes for me. Test case: "Turk's Head Ridge" - loading bar. "Turks Head Ridge" - near instant results.

Thanks Apsu, fixed that bug.

Andy Summers · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 56
Rachel Vecchitto wrote:

Thanks Apsu, fixed that bug.

Wow, that was fast, thanks!

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098

Overall, the search function is about a million times better. Thank you MP team!

Phil Lauffen wrote:

Overall, the search function is about a million times better. Thank you MP team!

Thanks Phil. Much appreciated. :)

Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

Using the search feature recently, found it PITA, I'm looking for route "Dennis", search feature comes up with 351 'Routes' not named Dennis... I see where you're going with this but WTF? Isn't it a billion to one odds that when someone searches a route they're searching by name for name? Surely there must be a better way

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

At least for the way I use it, which is to find threads or posts in the forum, the search function seems worse.  Results seem to be in random chronological order, for example, which means if your are looking for something recent, you might have to look at 2,000 entries, because there doesn't seem to be any way to know or control where in the list the entry you are searching for will show up.

Tom Sherman wrote:

Using the search feature recently, found it PITA, I'm looking for route "Dennis", search feature comes up with 351 'Routes' not named Dennis... I see where you're going with this but WTF? Isn't it a billion to one odds that when someone searches a route they're searching by name for name? Surely there must be a better way

You're right, that's a terrible result. I suspect this is being affected by the way I'm handling FA searches. I'll figure it out & fix. Thanks for the example.

rgold wrote:

At least for the way I use it, which is to find threads or posts in the forum, the search function seems worse.  Results seem to be in random chronological order, for example, which means if your are looking for something recent, you might have to look at 2,000 entries, because there doesn't seem to be any way to know or control where in the list the entry you are searching for will show up.

We'll be adding the ability to sort the forum results by date, probably next week. Also the ability to sort routes by stars, difficulty, etc.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Search feature seems to have experienced a majo…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started