Mountain Project Logo

Quickdraw Length measurment

Original Post
Lawrence L · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I just bought a new set of quickdraws, longer than my last set.  It said 18cm, but when I measured it, nothing on it is 18cm.  Same with my old set, nothing on it is 12cm.?? Not Gate-2-Gate, not Dogbone/webbing Length, not pivot-2-pivot.....

So, how do the industry/manufacture measured these things? 

Marty C · · Herndon, VA · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 70

Are you confusing "cm" with "mm"?

Black Diamond sells both 12mm and 18 mm quick draws.

These are sling widths, not sling lengths

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Lawrence L wrote:

I just bought a new set of quickdraws, longer than my last set.  It said 18cm, but when I measured it, nothing on it is 18cm.  Same with my old set, nothing on it is 12cm.?? Not Gate-2-Gate, not Dogbone/webbing Length, not pivot-2-pivot.....

So, how do the industry/manufacture measured these things? 

Length of the dogbone, but I think it is the length without biners inserted into the dogbone which makes it slightly longer than when the biners are installed.

Bryce Adamson · · Burlington, CT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,392

Interesting. Mine appear to be about their stated length when measured from the "inside" of the loop where the carabiner rests.

It's stated as 18cm long, but the dogbone measured 15cm.

https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-freewire-quickpack?rr=t

Lawrence L wrote:

It's stated as 18cm long, but the dogbone measured 15cm.

https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-freewire-quickpack?rr=t

If you look at the black diamond site here, you will see that the freewire is only available in 12 or 16 cm lengths.  My guess is that backcountry has the 16 cm draws mislabled on their site.  Try taking out the biners and see how close to 16 cm the dogbone is.

Edit to add, if you look further down on the BD site, it states two different times that they are available in 12 or 18 cm lengths.  My guess is that they used to sell them in 12 and 18 cm lengths, but recently changed to only 12 and 16 cm lengths, and both the BD and the backcountry websites are not quite up to date yet.

LccClimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20

did you measure using boy centimeters or girl centimeters?

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

mine is longer than yours

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

I would think it would be the length of the dog bone. Perhaps they measure the webbing prior to sewing it and the bartack eats up some of the length?

Tomily ma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 520

What we wouldn't do for that extra 3cm. Probably be easier to handle while pumping . And grabbing to yard on. And just generally flopping around better. 

David Ganahl · · Corona · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
LccClimber wrote:

did you measure using boy centimeters or girl centimeters?

Hahahaha, that's a good one! 

Hahaha... Maybe it'll stretch out to the right size after a few falls.     

I would of been OK with it being 1/2cm or 1cm short, but 3cm is a little much, I might of been just fine with it being 15cm, but when all Black Diamond customer service would say is that if you don't like it, return it. Hearing that, I am just a little disappointed at the customer services, so I guess I just will return it.  Tempted to return the other BD stuff I bought along with it too. 

Lawrence L wrote:

Hahaha... Maybe it'll stretch out to the right size after a few falls.     

I would of been OK with it being 1/2cm or 1cm short, but 3cm is a little much, I might of been just fine with it being 15cm, but when all Black Diamond customer service would say is that if you don't like it, return it. Hearing that, I am just a little disappointed at the customer services, so I guess I just will return it.  Tempted to return the other BD stuff I bought along with it too. 

Wait, you're disappointed with BD's customer service because they won't custom make a dogbone for you in a size that they no longer make?  Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  It's not BD's fault that backcountry hasn't updated their site with the correct length.

Ken Noyce wrote:

Wait, you're disappointed with BD's customer service because they won't custom make a dogbone for you in a size that they no longer make?  Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  It's not BD's fault that backcountry hasn't updated their site with the correct length.

Every website out there listed that quickdraw as 18cm. God knows for how long they been doing that for a few extra bucks they charge people.

Why should we allow that?

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Lawrence L wrote:

Every website out there listed that quickdraw as 18cm. God knows for how long they been doing that for a few extra bucks they charge people.

climbing friend,

because perhaps you are having the girlfriend or other things to do in this life?

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

This  is downright funny........;)

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 40

It's including the tag. Don't short yourself that length, you never know when you might need it to get the nut to the back of the crack.

Lawrence L wrote:

I still don't see how it is BDs fault that every other website out there listed that quickdraw as 18cm.  Yes it sucks that you didn't get what you were hoping for, no, it's not BDs fault.

JF M · · NoCo · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,823

If you push the ruler into the base of the dog bone it will be 18cm

LccClimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20
JFM wrote:

If you push the ruler into the base of the dog bone it will be 18cm

and measure with boy centimeters.....

shredward · · SLC · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5
Aleks Zebastian wrote:

climbing friend,

because perhaps you are having the girlfriend or other things to do in this life?

ROASTED!

but yeah man just go whip on it

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Quickdraw Length measurment"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started