Mountain Project Logo

Is evolv's split shoe sizing worth the extra $30

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
cyclestupor wrote:

Good question.   I bought my luchadores directly from Evolv.  That is the only way to get split sizing.   I think they may have been having a sale at the time though.  A quick search through email...  Looks like I paid $170 for my luchadors. 

I was thinking the Shamans are about $140 + $30 a well,  but I guess Evolv doesn't sell them for that cheap. 

I got my Luchadores from the Evolv van at a climbing competition for, I think $40. Could have bought two pairs and made your own "split sizing."

cyclestupor · · Woodland Park, Colorado · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 91
AndrewArroz wrote:

I got my Luchadores from the Evolv van at a climbing competition for, I think $40. Could have bought two pairs and made your own "split sizing."

Yea, Evolv and retailers were practically giving them away after they stopped production of them.

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 525
Chase Horn wrote:

Not sure. I only found out because I was in the factory store trying on their discount shoes while complaining about how tight my Nexxos were. The lady sort of interrupted me to say how they stretch them, and I was STOKED. I would assume they only do it if you buy the shoes directly from them, but they didn't ask me for any receipt or anything when I came back in with my Nexxos. They'd probably make you pay shipping at most, they are all extremely friendly dudes/dudettes.

Just messaged them and they still do it for free even if you buy them through a retailer.  All you pay is shipping.  What an awesome company.  I'm super stoked to have my Luchadors in a usable size now.  Thanks so much for the info.

cyclestupor wrote:

Yea, Evolv and retailers were practically giving them away after they stopped production of them.

I was at SoCal regionals at SenderOne and Evolv was there selling all their old shoes (new ones. Old models) for $25!

Stanley Baker · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

I wish La Sportiva did this. 

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I wish any other brand did.  I would have done it with my instincts because my left foot fits fine in them.  But if have to go down at least another full size to really smug up my right foot, and then my left wouldn't fit at all

Tyler McPherson · · Salem, OR · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

Butora offers split sizing through their website for $25

J Verg · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 95
bkozak wrote:

Seriously?  I had never seen that anywhere.  If that's the case I will totally send in my Luchadors.  Is it only available if you bought them directly through them?  

Their in house resole company Yosemite Bum will resole any shoe (with Traxx of course). I am almost certain they will stretch any shoe. I had some Tenaya's resoled there. 2 day turnaround and great work. I haven't ever noticed lack of friction from Evolv's rubber either. 

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 525
Verg wrote:

Their in house resole company Yosemite Bum will resole any shoe (with Traxx of course). I am almost certain they will stretch any shoe. I had some Tenaya's resoled there. 2 day turnaround and great work. I haven't ever noticed lack of friction from Evolv's rubber either. 

They will in fact stretch them for free.  Just sent mine out yesterday to them for that.  Very happy I found it out on here.

That's good to hear about butora, it's a shame that their shoes hurt my feet so badly.  

RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335

You can get Evolvs on sale regularly for pretty cheap which makes the split sizing not worth it in my opinion. I got my Shamans (new model) for only $60, they were a return but they were still brand new. There are definitely deals to be had out there.

I like the Shamans, they are very comfortable but lack the sensitivity I prefer in my Five Tens. They are primarily my gym shoe and what I wear for warming up and working moves, I'll switch to Dragons or Solutions when it's time to send.

There are plenty of people out there sending hard in the Shamans and Agros though so they are definitely capable of crushing.

Given that they will stretch them for free wouldn't the better deal be to buy for your smaller foot and stretch the other shoe to match your large foot? Unless your feet were WAY different?

Rob, the lack of sensitivity is what concerns me about them, too.  I tried them on at s demo, and could barely feel what I was standing on.  Do they get more sensitive as they wear in?  They are the only shoe I've found that seem it fit my foot perfectly.  So I'm stuck trying to decide what is more important to me: sensitivity or perfect fit.  

Andrew, if I can find them cheap, and evolv can stretch them without changing the dynamic of the shoe, that would be much better than paying for 2 sizes

Andrew Williams · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 625

They definitely do become more sensitive as they break in 

Chase Horn · · Los Gatos, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 2
Baba Fats wrote:

Rob, the lack of sensitivity is what concerns me about them, too.  I tried them on at s demo, and could barely feel what I was standing on.  Do they get more sensitive as they wear in?  They are the only shoe I've found that seem it fit my foot perfectly.  So I'm stuck trying to decide what is more important to me: sensitivity or perfect fit.  

Andrew, if I can find them cheap, and evolv can stretch them without changing the dynamic of the shoe, that would be much better than paying for 2 sizes

Obviously all this will be just my personal opinion. That being said, once you break in that rubber they will be incredibly sensitive, however if sensitivity is what you are looking for, grab some Agro's ($$$). I've owned two pairs of Shamans (2015 & 2016) and have absolutely loved/used they don't last more than 8-9 months a piece. The Agros are more of my sending shoes (because they are F#%&ING expensive), they have a much smaller plastic insert in the foot and the heel is bomber. To be fair, the heel in the shaman has never been my favorite, but I have a less rounded and wide heel that the shaman seems to be molded for. The rubber is a bit stiff, but I've found all my evolv shoes to be incredibly pliable and sensitive once you've warn a few layers off the sole and get that rubber body temp. meep

RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335
Chase Horn wrote:

Obviously all this will be just my personal opinion. That being said, once you break in that rubber they will be incredibly sensitive, however if sensitivity is what you are looking for, grab some Agro's ($$$). I've owned two pairs of Shamans (2015 & 2016) and have absolutely loved/used they don't last more than 8-9 months a piece. The Agros are more of my sending shoes (because they are F#%&ING expensive), they have a much smaller plastic insert in the foot and the heel is bomber. To be fair, the heel in the shaman has never been my favorite, but I have a less rounded and wide heel that the shaman seems to be molded for. The rubber is a bit stiff, but I've found all my evolv shoes to be incredibly pliable and sensitive once you've warn a few layers off the sole and get that rubber body temp. meep

Good call, they do feel better once your feet are warmed up and you have been wearing them for a few. I bought them hoping to replace my Solutions but the Solutions just seem to give me that little extra confidence. I think the Shamans will get better as the rubber wears more like others have said.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Is evolv's split shoe sizing worth the extra $30"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started