Mountain Project Logo

Experiencing Wildlife

Original Post
Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

Tied my pack to a tree so it wouldn't roll downhill. Before our climb I noticed a couple ants disliking my sling but didn't give them much respect. After the climb they made my pay big time. Cleaning out my gear was quite the ordeal. Let's hear and see some of your recent experiences. 
Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

I left my hiking shoes at the base of Petit Grepon in RMNP and they were eaten by marmots. 

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86
Creed A wrote:

I left my hiking shoes at the base of Petit Grepon in RMNP and they were eaten by marmots. 

Whoa! Those things eat shoes?! I would've never guessed that. What kind of food do you keep in those stinkers? Wait, you use your socks as napkins, I do too. I'll have to switch to using my underwear. 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

This looks like it could be a fun thread. (sorry I have nothing to contribute)

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Came back to my bivy site that a marmot had taken exception too. Pissed and shit all over and in my sleeping bag. The positive part by the time we returned it was all dry so I gave it a good shake and went to sleep.

Dan Stringer · · Eugene, OR · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 10

I was sleeping in my car with the windows down in Red Rocks when a couple burros decided to poke their heads in in the middle of the night.  I nearly shit my pants.

Alex Rogers · · Sydney, Australia · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 40

I have encountered a python in a crack 8m up a vertical wall at a very popular local crag. I have no problem with pythons, but avoiding the crack added 2 grades.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trip Reports
Post a Reply to "Experiencing Wildlife"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started