Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in Tanzania

Bobby Hutton · · Grizzly Flat, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 1,153

I recently got a chance to do some more exploration in Northern Tanzania. I had seen some promising looking rock from the high way and went out with my friends to check it out. As you can see in the pictures it is an impressive cliff face that is fairly clean for Tanzania and looks like it has potential. I believe the rock face is around 300 meters tall. Good news is there is a pretty decent road to the base of the escarpment, bad news is there is no trail up to the cliff face just lots and lots of thorns.

This cliff is not to far from the Lake Manyara National Park. Rough Gps Coordinates-3.898788, 35.704802

Tyler Phillips · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 95

That looks solid from the pictures, and hopefully cleaner than Longido. Any plans to rappel and check it out?

Hey Tyler, Yeah the wall does look a lot cleaner than Longido. It may have something to do with its orientation. Yeah No solid plans to go back at the moment as I am living about a thousand Km from there at the moment, but hopefully in the next five months before I leave TZ I will get a chance to get back there. Reaching the top of the escarpment at that point would be a major endeavor. Our abortive attempt to reach the base of the face took 3 hrs of fighting our through thick brush and thorns. So we will see.

Tyler Phillips · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 95

Good luck Bobby!

Elliot Warner · · Claremont, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Hey! Heading to Tanzania for five months in September. Is anyone around?

manuclimbs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Hi Elliot and all, I'll be in Dar for 3 weeks from Sunday. Anyone around? can I contact someone to climb?

Manu

Elliot Warner · · Claremont, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Sorry Manu, won't be there until the start of September

Florence · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Hi Elliot,

I'm based in Arusha and I'm keen to climb / search for some cliffs to climb. Nothing great in TZ, the closest proper climbing crag I know is in Kenya.
Give me a ring when you get to TZ: 0765575954
Flo

Jonny Pollard · · Norwich, Norfolk · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hello! My wife and I are moving to Arusha in the summer. To save having to cajol and convince her to take up climbing, I was hoping to find some climbing partner(s). It's a while away, but I'm hoping to bring my full rack with me and HOPING to find some good climbing!! Is there anyone who is keen?!

Florence · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Hi Jonny,

There are a few climbers in Arusha and we are all keen. Unfortunatly there's no good climbing around here (unless you're prepared to spend hours exploring and accessing a potential crag, cleaning it ... ). The closest place with good climbing is Kenya.

Flo

Hi flo!
Thanks for getting in touch! Very cool that there is a bunch of you who climb! Is hells gate the closest? My dad climbed quite a lot in the 70s, mostly hells gate. I hear there is climbing in tsavo west too?

Big Red · · Seattle · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 940

Hey Jonny, if you have any photos of your dad climbing in Kenya in the 70s, please send them our way! The climbing community here in Nairobi loves to see old school photos of our favorite crags.

There is climbing in Tsavo West - check out the Kitchwa Tembo page here on MP. Not too much info (I'm getting to it, I swear!) but there is a lot of rock there, it's just hard to access. The easiest crags are around Nairobi - Hell's Gate, Lukenya, Ndeiya, and Frog. Come visit!

Hi Bigred11 I'm seeing him in May so will ask and have a good rummage through old photo albums. Thanks for the Tsavo info- I will have to come visit and climb Hells gate etc!

Big Red · · Seattle · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 940

Please do! We're always super excited to see old photos - let us know if we can help with digitization of any!

Looks like some really cool bouldering near Singida. 

http://geoquest-verlag.de/?q=en/node/618

Bigred11 sadly no climbing pictures... just a few of my grandad climbing kili in the early forties and my father on mt Kenya 

Rodolfo Lesser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 60

I'm moving to Dar in the next few weeks (2 years initially). Looking for partners to climb with. I'm bringing 2 racks. Anyone around Dar that wants to climb?

Rodolfo Lesser wrote:

I'm moving to Dar in the next few weeks (2 years initially). Looking for partners to climb with. I'm bringing 2 racks. Anyone around Dar that wants to climb?

Hi Rodolfo, not dar but I will be in Arusha for 2 years with a rack and one rope if you are ever this way

Rodolfo Lesser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 60
Jonny Pollard wrote:

Hi Rodolfo, not dar but I will be in Arusha for 2 years with a rack and one rope if you are ever this way

Sounds good Jonny. Will send you a PM later this year (around November once we've settled in). . 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Climbing in Tanzania"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started