Mountain Project Logo

Tricam manufacturing issue???

Original Post
Medic741 · · Des Moines, IA (WTF) · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 265

This piece has not been fallen on and has only been used as An anchor and on lead am has developed a crack from the pin holding the sling to the back part of the unit. This crack is through the material.

Kinda freaks me out that this happened with no falls...

Camp tricam crack

bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

that looks serious and legitimate

i just inspected all of mine and they are fine

i would contact CAMP USA asap and post it to their fbook

;)

Ed Bustamante · · accord · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 60

Send it back to camp . Can you post there. Response I'm interested in what they have to say. There are some numbers on the tag can you post them if you don "t mind

NOFF · · Big South Fork, TN · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 16

I've had quite a few of my old school ones do that. Some had a crack on both sides. Same type of cracking. Carabineers will do that at the pin too. Check your gear.

Sure thing - it's 10-05 printed on the side.

I'm definitely contacting CAMP to ask about this. Was surprised after putting gear away after a trip haha. Felt like it was overkill checking gear/ropes after every trip but now really glad I do.

Will keep everyone posted and will post replies from CAMP

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,190

Seems like every few years a batch will pop up with some cracks in them, always in the same spot. Wonder if it's some sort of problem with the manufacturing process?

mountaintools.com/techtips/…

mtntools.com/techtips/psa_c…

Glad you spotted it before something bad happened.

JacksonLandFill Wood · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 40

Thanks for posting this... I haven't inspected the tricam heads/lobes that closely... will definitely do that this evening. If/when CAMP gives a response, I too would like to see it posted here.

verticon · · Europe · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 25

I would expect such a crack to appear on the shortest path from the pin to the edge of the rail. Why do you think this crack took a longet path ?

mbakerwh · · Gallup, NM · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

It appears the crack is in line with what would have likely been the direction of force on the tricam? Just a thought.....

I wonder about their new "EVO" tricams too. Any thoughts or experiences with cracking on those?

Great reply from CAMP, pleased they replied quickly and still see their gear as something I'll continue to climb on - also seems like they do check this site!

Hi Matthew. We received your email about your Tricam with an evident crack in it and we’ve seen the thread now on Mountain Project. I have already notified our R&D department in Italy. We did see a few units that could develop the type of crack you see in the curing process after the forge. Since this issue, we have extended the curing process and eliminated the problem. We would love to get your Tricam replaced with a newer one that will also feature the new stiffer stitching pattern. I am sure you will also feel more comfortable hearing that when the issue popped up we did conduct tests on the units we saw with cracks and they tested to full-strength. But the problem remains the same and we would very much like to take care of it for you.

Brian here at our office will reach out with return information so we can get the unit back and have it inspected. In the meantime, once I hear back from our R&D department I will post a company reply to the thread on Mountain Project so folks have some follow up.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do at the moment and thanks for bringing this to our attention,

-----

Really happy with this reply, and they're sending a shipping label to get the warranty gear out to them so feeling good about their customer service!

bearbreeder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 3,065

i would luuuv camp to test your tricam to failure with on vid ...

for entertainment sake

if you are reading this camp ... from an owner and use of tricams

;)

Andy P. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 190

There are some folks on MP here, 20kn comes to mind, who can pull test things - something to consider.

Jeff Thilking · · Lynchburg, VA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

+1 for what bearbreeder said, as a tricam owner/user I would love to see C.A.M.P throw up some test footage for sure.

Paul Cox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Found same type of cracks on my tricam, except both sides are cracked. Like Medic741 my tricam has not taken a fall. It has seen lots of use on leads and as an anchor (belay stations and top ropes). I will also contact CAMP about the cracks. Good reminder for all of us to check our gear often. (FYI, I cut the webbing off as soon I discovered the crack to ensure the tricam would not be used.) 

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

It's clear that you dropped it. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

How many here remember that a few brown Tricams were recalled for this exact problem in 2004?

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Gunkiemike wrote:

And the following three Tricam recalls of which the 1.5 brown tricam is the last:

http://www.mtntools.com/techtips/psa_camp_TC_0125.html

http://www.mtntools.com/techtips/psa_camp_TC_0125_mt.html

http://www.mtntools.com/techtips/psa12CampTricam.html

Seems to be a bit of an occasional ongoing problem.

Also found this:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/camp-tri-cams-advisory-notice

Which helps as another way to inspect your Tricams besides looking for cracks on the stingers. I also in the process discovered that Camp keeps the product manuals on their Italian web site but not the USA web site. Weird...

Do I win a prize? 

(Please don't let it be a cracked Tricam.)  

Paul Cox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

CAMP and I have exchanged a few emails about the cracked tricam and the friendly people there are going to send me a new one. They want the one cracked so they can get it in front of the engineers’ eyes in R&D." They believe these cracks are an isolated issue. I really appreciate CAMP's effort to replace my tricam and to inspect the cracks. Given that I am currently in Kenya for a bit, it will be a few months before I can send the cracked one in or get my new one. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

It's nice to know that Camp is treating you well by replacing your defective Tricam and (hopefully) investigating the source of the manufacturing problem. 

rozaosa · · Longmont, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

Geez glad I came across this, thanks for the heads up.  Props to CAMP for thewillingness to help and correct the problem.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Tricam manufacturing issue???"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started