Mountain Project Logo

Hardest hand crack in indian creek???

Original Post
Jack McNeil · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 15

Just finished up an awesome trip to the creek, and got ne wondering, what would the hardest pure hand crack there? Out of the pure hand pitches we fid, I found chest full of kind to be far and away the hardest, in a whole seperate league compared to ihc, despite being half the length. I think CFOK is at about 5.10c for me, and off the top of my head, i cant think of any pure hand cracks at the creek that are given a 11 or harder grade. I did not do supercrack, which could definately be much harder, depending on the size of uour hands. Thanks for any input.

Jeremy K · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

Not sure what is considered a "pure" hand crack, but Sinestra is a pretty great hand crack and is an 11.

Andrew Tomko · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

I thought Chest Full of Kind was more a laybacking route rather than a proper hand crack; if you weren't using all the edges/ripples on the main face you were making it hard on yourself!

Not that I'm a seasoned expert in the Creek, but I found 3 AM Crack to be pretty burly (I have tiny little hands). That's my vote for hardest hand crack until you get into things that a climber with "average" sized hands would call either wide hands or thin hands.

Matt Enlow · · Wyoming · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 589
Think Pink <- 11- steep hands, with face climbing to get to it.
Jack McNeil · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 15

By pure, i just meant a route that is completly or almost all hands, not something that is super varied. All those routes look super fun and are definately on my tick list now! I didnt do 3am, but i have fairly big hands, so it would probably be pretty tough. I really need to get on supercrack!

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

That would depend heavily on the size of your hands. Obviously the farther a crack is from your perfect hand size, the harder it is - but how off-perfect can it get before it's not a "hand crack" and no longer counts?

Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450

3AM is I'm pretty sure easier if you have big hands, not harder.

Are you excluding thin hands? I think there are a number of thin hands 11's, such as Pente.

Tavis Ricksecker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 4,246

I assume by 'pure hands' you mean #2 camalots.

Spaghetti Western is a good candidate: Similar to Think Pink in that it's mostly #2's in a steep corner, just a little steeper and a little harder.

Gold Crown is also an awesome hand crack, mostly #2's over a couple of roofs.

Matt Enlow · · Wyoming · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 589

Oh man, forgot about Gold Crown. +1 to that, though it feels wiley in a way that I wouldn't quite call it a "pure" handcrack. It's not as easy to just plug and chug on as Think Pink. More pods / size changes maybe?

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

twitch, at the far right side of scarface is kind of hard for a hand crack.

Bob Dobalina · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 140

Trick Question! Hand cracks are not hard. :)

Dustin B · · Steamboat · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,275

S Caruthers Memorial at sacred cow is tough.

John Collis · · Moab · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 283

Death of a Cowboy is mostly hands... 

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130
Bob Dobalina wrote:

Trick Question! Hand cracks are not hard. :)

Too true. If it's truly pure hands that are perfect for you how hard can it be? Incredible hand crack is about as hard as it can get short of infinite roofs (something the creek lacks). There are plenty of routes that have cupped hands, thin hands or awkward pods that make the grade much, much harder.

Sinestra, Steve Cruthers Memorial Crack, Golden Crown etc... are all excellent examples. If your hands fit best in 3s or 1s then that is your hand crack. Grades at the creek are very subjective.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Hardest hand crack in indian creek???"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started