Mountain Project Logo

Props to Metolius

Original Post
Robin S · · Durango, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 41

I wanted to share my experience with Metolius customer service. I sent them 7 old TCUs. As soon as they had them, they sent me an email telling me that all 7 needed to be reslung and 1 needed new trigger wires. They did the work, cleaned them, lubed them, and sent them back--I had them in my hand 6 days after sending them in (granted I live in Portland, and I just had to ship them to Bend).

Reslinging cost $3/cam, and for $8 they do both the sling and the trigger wires (They charged a total of $26 for the work for 7 cams.) They clean and grease them either way. I was so impressed at the quality of their work--the cams (which were quite grimy) were so clean that I couldn't even tell which one had new trigger wires.

BD charges $8 to resling, $15 to re-do the wires, and doesn't clean or lube you cams. This experience made me feel like Metolius wants me to get as much life as possible out of my gear, rather than just buying new gear, and it made me more likely to buy their products in the future.

Bravo Metolius!

Mathias · · Loveland, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 306

That's good to know. I'd read it before somewhere, but it's nice to hear you had a positive real world experience.

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10

does Metolius only service their own cams or will they resling other brands?

jason.cre wrote:does Metolius only service their own cams or will they resling other brands?
Unfortunately they only service their own cams.
Matt Carroll · · Van · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 249

I too heard this before and outfitted my rack accordingly with a ton of their gear! Hopefully I'll beat the shit out of these for another few years and then send them in.

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10
jason.cre wrote:does Metolius only service their own cams or will they resling other brands?
Mountain Tools will resling all kinds and they do excellent work. I've used them with mine.

mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/cam…
Jared M · · Oakland, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 145

Another praise for Metolius customer service ...

I recently had a trigger wire break during placement of an almost-new #2 UL (only used a few times, no falls or hangs), causing it to get stuck in a tight placement.

I emailed Metolius to give feedback and inquire whether they've had other reports of new-ish trigger wire failures. They acknowledged that an early batch of UL #2s had defective trigger glue and shipped me a replacement right away, no questions asked. A new cam arrived in two days ... awesome

Peter BrownWhale · · Randallstown, MD · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 21

Huh, wish I had known that, I had a trigger wire pop on a #2 UL but I just epoxied it back in myself. Love Metolius gear

Dan Mcdevitt · · sierra eastside · Joined May 2014 · Points: 575

Great gear from a great crew, standing behind there fine work! Thanks guys!!!

SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

Robin. When was this? I want to send mine in soon. I've heard the turn around was several weeks. Maybe they're slow currently.

SRB25 wrote:Robin. When was this? I want to send mine in soon. I've heard the turn around was several weeks. Maybe they're slow currently.
This was December--my post was a little late.
Timothy L · · New York · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 110

I also have had a great experience! I had a spring come on sprung on a 00 master cam. I sent a photo to Metolius seeing if they would be able to fix it or not. They promptly responded asking me for my address because they were sending me a new cam. Thanks Metolius! Y'all rock (pardon the pun).
Many of my friends make fun of my Metolius gear, but stories like these keep me coming back.

SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

Yeah they have good customer service. Replaced my friends cam for what appeared to be a minor issue. One heads up. If you're sending in heavily used units for service I've heard they snip trigger wires if/when they determine your units have reached the end of their service life rendering them out of service. It appears for safety reasons of course. This is something I read a while back so it wasn't my experience. However I would consider calling or sending photos to them if there is any question. Just a heads up. Maybe someone else can comment.

SRB25 wrote:Yeah they have good customer service. Replaced my friends cam for what appeared to be a minor issue. One heads up. If you're sending in heavily used units for service I've heard they snip trigger wires if/when they determine your units have reached the end of their service life rendering them out of service. It appears for safety reasons of course. This is something I read a while back so it wasn't my experience. However I would consider calling or sending photos to them if there is any question. Just a heads up. Maybe someone else can comment.
It's a good warning to have out there. Most companies do this--Yates won't even send them back to you, they just destroy them (part of why I haven't sent some older cams to them!). The TCUs I sent them were in good condition but were very old--they had smooth lobes, from before they put the grip notches in them. They didn't even comment on their age before doing the work.
Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415

Just got my set of Master Cams back from Metolius - great service, super cheap price for how well they treat you.
I had a trigger wire break on a #1 UL, so I figured I'd send in all my Master Cams for a resling at the same time. They didn't even charge me for the #1 UL trigger and resling service (could have been one of the ones with glue problems noted above).
And made in the USA too - who does that anymore!?!

Rob warden The space lizard · · Now...where? · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

I have had nothing but good experiences with metilous. Their costumer service is excellent across the entire product range. I have had cams, bags, draws, slings, harnesses, ropes many items from them. The build quality has always lasted and endured.  They back their products far better than many others in the industry. Functionally they act like a mom and pop shop that wants you to be happy.

Much of their equipment will be an item that will last for 10yrs. Their focus on safety is also paramount and appreciated.

I don't care much for the new style master cams. But that's a personal preference for thumb loops. I am still impressed they have an all metal unit, without the shelf life of the BD UL

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

Haha! Same here. I bought a total crap set of Metolius 4cu off ebay (or here), sent them in for the works and for minimal scratch they sent them back reslung and tweaked looking awesome. Being Metolius, I knew they'd hold any screamer the pup would lay down. I mean, all those Metolius guys are pretty serious climbers and they don't use Black Diamond (BD) cams-)  In fact, when Potter did that Tombstone vid, I noted that he had Metolius cams despite being sponsored by BD at the time.

Wrapped them up and: "Merry Christmas pup!" He was overjoyed, rightfully so.

alpinist 47 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

i abused one of their harnesses....sent it back... they sent me a new one free

Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

I’ve heard and seen first hand, the guys know their shit that’s for sure. They do good work
As for myself, wish they would still make a master cam with a thumb loop but damn, they are some good cams, and the new asymmetric nuts have definitely saved my life 

Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 660

Also had killer customer service experience with Metolius when sending in a couple of cams for reslinging. Long live Metolius!

(Just wish I liked their cams as much as BD's...)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Props to Metolius"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started