Mountain Project Logo

Whitewater Kayaking Partner

Original Post
Bryce Yaple · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 77

I know this is a climbing forum but I can't find a decent boating forum for this area so yeah.

yo, I'm looking for some fellow boaters to run some whitewater with. I'm not an incredible boater by any means but I can hold my own in III+/IV. I have gear, been boating for about two years collectively, haven't much since starting school out here. From nor cal and stuck mainly to the N and S forks of the american. I'm looking for some people to go run the local stuff (what little there is) and maybe do some weekend trips as we start heading into spring and summer. Hit me up!

Jack Crockett · · SLC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 16

Yo Bryce!

I moved out here from Asheville and pretty much gave up on boating because of the distance to do trips. I kayaked for many years as kid and through college. Still have my first creekboat and all my gear. I'm thinking about buying a Cataraft. I've heard the Layton wavepool does a kayak night.

Mountainbuzz is a good resource for boating partners out here and I think there are several clubs. If I ever get the itch again I may reach out to you.

EDIT:
I just saw you're 19. If you are going to college out here I strongly suggest joining up with the college whitewater program if it exists. It was a huge part of my life in school and I still have most of my friends from the CSM Kayak club.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Just in case you guys aren't aware, Ogden has a play park, and with this year likely to be a good water year, it should be in good condition.

utahwhitewaterclub.org/ogde…

I don't kayak...yet, so I don't have any more information to offer :)

Beth13 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

Hey,

People have already been getting in their kayaks this year up in ogden! If you're on facebook I highly suggest joining on some of the groups there. People post all the time about flows, trips, finding partners, etc. Its one of the better ways to get connected. Utah Whitewater Club, Utah Rafters, are two that I can think of right now, I'm sure there are others. There is even one for classifieds but I can't think of the name.

Also, if you're in college (someone else mentioned you may be) the University of Utah has a kayak roll session at their pool one night a wee, Westminster has one every Monday (open to anyone), Provo has one (Fridays I think?) and there is a wave pool session every month in Ogden. Best way to hear about these is on facebook!

There is Kayak polo tonight in Ogden if you're interested.

Bryce Yaple · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 77

Hey thanks for all of the responses. I'll definitely look into my school having a program, that's an awesome idea. Thanks for the other tips. I'll definitely check out the park in Ogden.

NickO · · West Slope · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 30

Facebook group: High Jim and the Ask

There is enough low volume class 3 stuff around to keep the itch scratched. Jackson is 4 hours with some good options.
Payette system in Idaho is about 6 hours and worth the drive.
Colorado isn't too bad of a drive either.

Joel Kushlan · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 1

OP you talking kayaking or rafting? I'd be happy to get out on a kayak with you some-time. Climbing mostly occupies my non-work life, but I've got two kayaks and would love to use them more. With all the water, should be a stellar year. Probably about your level. Any other Kayakers who stumble across this feel free to hit me up as well.

801-530-9044

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Whitewater Kayaking Partner"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.